Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rottenlivia

RECIPE: Looking for a special cake for my best friend....

rottenlivia
16 years ago

I am so hoping that someone out there can help me discover the recipe for a cake that my friends mom made when she was a young girl. We ourselves have searched through many many old cookbooks over the last few years and simply are at a loss so far.

She said it was an Orange Cake with a frosting, not an icing. It had orange juice and maybe zest in the batter but it didn't have filling. It was very flavorful and would have been a favorite from the late 50's through the 70's. Her mom has slowly been declining over the past few years and we are hoping to find it and bake it for her soon. Can anyone remember an orange flavored cake that they really loved? I would be so grateful for the recipe.

Thank you so much,

Kim in MA.

Comments (6)

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Maybe this is close to what you are looking for? It is very delicious as a rectangular cake not a round one, but maybe two round layers could be made instead? I think you could omit the walnuts if the cake you remember did not have them in the recipe.

Luscious Orange Sponge Cake

Cake
    1 cup cake flour
    1 t. baking powder
    1/4 t. salt
    1/2 c. finely ground walnuts
    3 eggs
    3/4 c. sugar
    1/3 c. orange juice
    1/2 t. orange extract

Confectioners' sugar

Grease a 15"x10"x1" jelly roll pan. Line with wax paper and grease. Stir nuts into mixed dry ingredients. Heat oven to 375. Beat eggs 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beat 2 minutes more. Add juice and extract at low speed. Fold in flour mixture. Pour into pan. Bake 15 minutes. Turn out on a towel sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. Cool on rack.

Frosting:
    1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    3 egg yolks
    1/4 t. grated orange peel
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 TB lemon juice
    dash salt
    3 TB additional orange juice
    2 cups whipped cream

Combine sugar, flour, egg yolks. Beat well. Stir in rind, juices, salt. Cook on low heat (225) for 20 minutes. Cool. Stir.

Cut cake in 3 rectangles 5"x10" each. Sprinkle with the 3 TB orange juice. Fold cooked and cooled orange mixture into cream. Use one-third between the layers. Frost top and sides. (Sprinkle sides with more finely chopped walnuts if desired) Chill before serving.

• rottenlivia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just forwarded this on to Cindy now! Please keep them coming but this one sounds delicious. I intend to make it myself. :) My fellow school bus drivers are always game for something sweet and yummy. Thanks for taking the time.
    Kim

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Was it a 3 layer cake?

Here is a link that might be useful: Old-Fashioned Orange Cake

• lindac
    16 years ago

Would it have been one of those cakes from a mix, where you mix orange rind and concentrated frozen OJ in the mix and then use the juice of the orange and some lemon juice and sugar and pour over the cake as it comes out of the oven.
    I'm not sure where to find the recipe....but think it might have been a Betty Crocker mix variation.
    Linda C

• annova914
    16 years ago

I recently copied this from recipezaar (you might want to do a search for it there & copy directly from that site & read the reviews). You could make a buttercream frosting with confectioners' sugar and add some orange juice and orange zest. I plan to make this over the holidays. Ann

Triple Orange Cake

1 (3 ounce) package orange Jell-O
    1 (18 1/4 ounce) package orange cake mix
    2/3 cup canola oil
    3/4 cup water
    4 large eggs
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
    2. Grease a 9 x 13 cake pan; set aside. Can use a Bundt Pan.
    3. Place all ingredients except juice and icing sugar in a large bowl.
    4. Beat thoroughly with an electric mixer at medium speed.
    5. Pour into pan.
    6. Bake 35- 45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched in center.
    7. Leave cake in pan and pierce entire surface with fork.
    8. In a small bowl, blend juice and icing sugar thoroughly.
    9. Spoon evenly over cake.

• woodenzoo
    16 years ago

Below is the recipe for Orange Kiss-Me Cake as I found it in my copy of "More Back of the Box..." The book says it was the 1950 grand prize winner in the Pillsbury Bake-Off.
    Also says that it was made with a food grinder and the entire chopped orange, peel and all, goes in.
    Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Kiss-Me Cake