Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70ks

RECIPE: Leftover turkey--what to do with it??

flowergirl70ks
15 years ago

I need to take food to a sick (terminal) friend. I'm trying to think what I can do with some leftover turkey-dark and white- that might taste good to her.

Comments (11)

• woodie
    15 years ago

I'm very sorry about your friend. Here is a recipe we like very much.

TURKEY TETRAZZINI WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1- 3 1/2 pound spaghetti squash
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups canned chicken broth or chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups diced cooked turkey
    1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
    1 tablespoon Madeira or dry sherry
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    fresh lemon juice to taste
    freshly ground nutmeg to taste
    2 tablespoons buttered bread crumbs

Bake the spaghetti squash, pierced with a knife, on a baking sheet in a preheated 400* oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender and let cool. Halve the squash lengthwise, remove seeds and strings and scrape the flesh into a buttered 9 x 13 buttered baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.

In a saucepan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the broth, whisking vigorously until the mixture is smooth. Add the bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the turkey, cream and Madeira, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of the Parmesan, lemon juice and nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf. Spoon the turkey mixture over the squash and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and buttered bread crumbs. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
    Serves 4
    Best of Gourmet, 1990

• annova914
    15 years ago

Or, turkey tettrazzini made with regular spaghetti (or vermicelli)?? Or one of those chicken casseroles using the turkey meat (the ones made with cream of celery or chicken soup, some onions, a little mayo, seasonings and maybe some cooked rice folded in, topped with crunchy breadcrumbs).

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

I usually make a turkey curry. The dressing and cranberry sauce as well as the gravy all goes with this. The recipe is off a Sharwood Curry Powder advert for chicken curry which I also make but here I substitute leftover turkey.

TURKEY CURRY

Serves 4.

1 apple, peeled and chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 TBS oil
    2 TBS curry powder
    1 level TBS flour
    15 fluid oz (scant 2 cups) stock (boil turkey bones to make stock)
    1 TBS chutney (I use Sharwoods Mango Chutney)
    1/4 to 1/3 cup (60 grams) sultana raisins
    8 oz (225 grams) diced turkey (include different sized small pieces from the leftovers on the turkey platter)
    salt

1) Fry chopped apple and onion together in 2 TBS oil. Add curry powder and flour. Fry gentry 1 minute.

2) Blend in the stock, bring to boil. Add 1 TBS chutney and the raisins. Simmer, covered - 30 minutes.

3) Add turkey pieces to the sauce, season with salt and simmer very gently 10 - 15 minutes more. If you have some leftover turkey gravy - that also goes well added into the curry sauce.

4) Serve over rice and pass around cranberry sauce, warmed turkey dressing, mango chutney and chopped walnuts.

This is also very good:

2 - 3 portions
    1 lb turkey breast, cooked and cut into chunks
    butter - 1 heaping TBS
    flour - 1 heaping TBS
    milk - about 1 1/2 cups
    heavy cream - about 1 1/2 cups
    1 chicken stock cube or spoonful of chicken bouillon mix
    1 heaping TBS curry powder (I used Sharwoods's mild)
    fettuccini noodles for 2 - 3 servings
    fresh ground pepper
    butter

1) Put water on to boil for noodles.

2) If turkey is not already cooked, it can be done in microoven with 3 TBS water until just done

3) Melt butter in saucepan, take off stove and mix in flour to make a roux, gradually adding warmed milk a few drops at a time and stirring to keep smooth.

4) Put back on low heat and finish adding milk, then cream
    a little at a time and stirring. Crumble in chicken stock cube and curry powder. Stir to blend.

5) Add turkey chunks and heat gently, keeping warm while cooking noodles in pot of water.

6) Drain noodles, add butter and fresh ground black pepper.
    Pour sauce over noodles and mix. Serve on hot plates and add grated parmesan.

Note: The Spanish and German chicken stock cubes and chicken sauce bases are excellent and quite different than the ones I saw in Canada.

SharonCb

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

There are several soup recipes among others in the thread below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leftover Turkey

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Kentucky Hot Brown! yummy!

• annie1971
    15 years ago

I cut it up into chunks (after the usual turkey sandwiches and gravy, etc.) and put it into the freezer for turkey corn chowder anytime of the year! If you're interested in the recipe, will happily provide. Otherwise, just cut it up and put into the freezer if you have the space. I always use the carcass to make turkey stock; and freeze it as well for future use. The turkey doesn't have to be consumed all at once.

• annie1971
    15 years ago

Flowergirl,
    I'm afraid I'm guilty of not reading your complete post before responding. My response was not appropriate for your need to take something to your friend. Any of the soup recipes offered would be a good thing. Maybe just slices of turkey on good bread or crackers or chunks with cheese or other condiments to nibble on.
    Bless you for thinking of and helping your friend.
    Annie

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

It has been cold and rainy here so I made some turkey and dumplings - good comfort food.

I took a quart of chicken stock from the freezer and thawed it. There were some homemade "slick" dumplings in the freezer also. Heated the stock in a deep pan until gently boiling, added a spoonful of Better Than Bouillon chicken base, then added the frozen dumplings. These are like Annie's Dumplings in the frozen food case at the store.

Cooked the dumplings 10 min. with the lid off and 10 min. with the lid on then added in some leftover turkey cut in bite-size pieces. Let the mixture sit in the pot for about 5 minutes with the heat off to heat up the turkey. Added salt and pepper as my stock had not been seasoned. You could add freshly chopped parsley if you have it.

Here is my dumpling recipe:

2 cups flour
    3 Tablespoons butter
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    water

Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter. Add enough water to make a soft dough. Knead for a minute until smooth and let sit for 1/2 hour. Roll out dough fairly thin. Cut into 1 to 1.5-inch squares. I use a rolling pizza cutter to cut the dough into the squares.

Drop into gently boiling broth, cook 10 minutes with the lid off and 10 minutes with the lid on.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Flowergirl I am so sorry for your friend and you, it's really rough for all involved.

When my sister was really sick before her passing she seemed to crave high carb , soft, and fairly bland.

One thing she loved was homemade noodles and chicken or turkey pieces in a sauce that was somewhere between gravy and broth. Actually what I did was thin out my gravy with some broth, add the lefover poultry and then the homemade noodles.

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

How about an individual pot pie. I am making a big one for tonight's dinner with our left over turkey.
    Clare

• raisedin99
    15 years ago

creamed turkey over mashed potatoes