Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Victim of the Libby's Pie

eileenlaunonen
17 years ago

For years I have only used the Libby Pumpkin Pie recipe WHY??? I dont know although its not bad Id like to make my own. I bought a cooking pumpkin baked it and scraped it for pulp.........Now I need a tried & true killer pie recipe for my collection...PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments (10)

• User
    17 years ago

This one is wonderful. It is one that Eileen (Barnmom) posted.

Ann

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

==================
    Pumpkins! They are everywhere now! I once heard that the white ones make the best pumpkin pie, but have never heard it confirmed. Can anyone comment on this and the merits of one variety of pumpkin over another for assorted uses?
    While I like the idea of cooking and pureeing my own pumpkin for pies, I wonder how much difference it really makes. Any comments?

Posted by Eileen, (Browntoestoo)

My favorite pumpkin pie recipe is one I found in Bon Appetit:

Favourite Pie crust recipe or

1 Buttermilk Pie Crust Dough disk

1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
    1 cup whipping cream
    3/4 cup pure maple syrup
    3 large eggs
    1 tablespoon all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon natural maple flavor
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Pinch of salt

For Maple Whipped Cream:
    1 cup chilled whipping cream
    3 tablespoons pure maple syrup

Position rack in lowest third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Roll pie
    crust disk out on lightly floured surface to 13-inch-diameter round
    (about 1/8 inch thick). Roll up dough on rolling pin and transfer to
    9-inch-diameter glass pie plate. Gently press into place. Trim edges of
    crust, leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold excess under. Crimp edges.
    Freeze until crust is firm, about 15 minutes.

Line pie crust with foil, leaving 3-inch overhang. Fill foil with beans
    or pie weights. Fold extra foil gently over crust edges. Bake until
    crust is set, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Cool pie crust
    slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.

Whisk all remaining ingredients (except Maple Whipped Cream) to blend
    in bowl. Pour filling into crust. Bake until filling is set, covering
    crust edges with foil if browning too quickly, about 55 minutes. Cool
    completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Chill.)

Cut pie into wedges and serve with Maple Whipped Cream.

To make Maple Whipped Cream:
    Whip cream with syrup in large bowl until soft peaks form. Makes about
    2 cups.

Serves 8.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Should I strain the pulp through cheese cloth so its not watery im worried because its looks (consistency) completely ifferent than canned........anyone out there have experience with fresh pulp?????

• Nancy
    17 years ago

I made pumpkin pie once from the real pumpkin, mind you, I used a field type pumpkin rather than a good baking one. They are waterier. I drained mine, but didn't really try to get all the moisture out, just used a slotted spoon, & it worked fine. Mine was quite good, but I'm sure a pie pumpkin would be better, field pumpkin just didn't have the right texture.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Eileen, I usually put my pumpkin through a sieve if I'm using fresh pumpkin because it seems to be a bit "stringy" if I don't. Mine was moister than the canned stuff, I think the canning condenses it somewhat, but I didn't really drain it, I just left as much liquid as possible in the bowl and didn't use it.

Annie

• gw:juniebug-2006
    17 years ago

I've made pumpkin pie from both the field type pumpkin and the pie type pumpkin. My experience with the field type is that it was watery and stringy, however it tasted pretty good. The pie type was not at all stringy and wasn't as watery, and the pie results were very good. To be very honest, I'm not sure that there was much of a taste difference between the from scratch pumpkin pie vs the canned pumpkin, but it's always fun to be able to claim that you've made the pie from an actual pumpkin and not from a can!

• Jan_Hobbs
    17 years ago

Whenever I use a fresh pumpkin to make a pie, I bake it, then scrape the pulp out. To make the filling, and get rid of the "strings" all in one step, I use my blender to mix the filling. That way you retain all the fiber that is naturally in the pumpkin, but get the smoothness that you want for the pie. Just dump all the ingredients for the filling in the blender. I have done this for years...and use the same method in making a sweet potato pie, too.

• shellybabe
    17 years ago

thanks for posting this info, I too am a victim of the canned pumpkin and this year I won a pumpkin and it was really stringy and then I was given a pumpkin rescued from target practice and it wasn't as stringy. I am eager to try out a pie recipe with this one.

• Virginia7074
    17 years ago

I've made this one several times, from the Farm Journal Country Cookbook, where it's described as a "blue ribbon winner in a famous Ohio Pumpkin Show." Gotta be the Circleville Pumpkin Show

Pumpkin Pie

1-1/2 c. cooked or canned pumpkin
    1/4 c. white corn syrup
    2 eggs
    1/2 c. evaporated milk
    2 tblsp. butter
    1/2 c. hot milk
    1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1/8 tsp cloves
    1 unbaked 9" pie shell

Combine pumpkin, corn syrup, eggs and evaporated milk. Stire butter into hot milk. Combine brown sugar, salt and spices. Mix until well blended. Combine all three mixtures; pour into pastry-lined pie pan. (For crisp crust, brush pastry with egg white or melted butter.) Bake in hot oven (425°) 15 min., then reduce to moderate (350°) and bake 35 min. longer or until knife inserted comes out clean.

• User
    17 years ago

So what's wrong with Libby's pumpkin pie? Some things just shouldn't be tampered with.

I use their recipe and sometimes buy organic pumpkin, which I have to say, isn't any different from Libby's pumpkin (it just cost's more). I've used fresh pumpkin and it's so much work and so unpredictable, I won't waste my time with it any more. I've also had pie made with Libby's Pumpkin Pie filling, and it's not nearly as good as just using their pumpkin.

I've had so many variations over the last 60 years, and I have to say, Libby's recipe is still the best. Friends have made, with the best of intentions, I'm sure, some truly awful pumpkin pies.

• nancylouise5me
    17 years ago

We've used many different brands of canned pumpkin over the years for pies and cookies. We have also baked a real pumpkin for pies and honestly there isn't all that much difference in taste and it is a whole lotta extra work. We now only use "One Pie" brand of canned pumpkin. It has consistantly made the best tasting pies for us. There is never any leftover pie to bring home when we use One Pie.
    Just a tip to remove more moisture from any canned pie filling; Lay out 3 or 4 sheets of paper towels on a cookie sheet. Spread your pie filling over the paper towels. Top the pie filling with 3 or 4 more paper towels. Light press to remove extra moisture. Let sit a minute of so. Peel back the top layer of toweling, flip the bottom towels and peel off. The pumpkin does not stick to the paper towels. I saw this tip on CI years ago. It really does work. NancyLouise

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!