Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Your favorite easy appetizers or finger foods

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

My annual Christmas cocktail party is Dec 8th I have approx 40 adults coming and Im looking for some EASY but delicious appetizers...open to all suggestions Thanks

Comments (9)

• lindac
    16 years ago

I am always all over simple things like great cheeses, shrimp, salmon, chicken wings ( or breast strips) over stuff with lots of "ingredients"...
    About 5 great cheeses beats any cheese ball, gougere, cheese nips etc. Sure it cost more to serve just a great cheese and not make a cheese ball out of it....but it's so easy and so good.
    Yeah....sure you need a couple of "recipes" but by and large I like to stick with basic food...good quality, eaasily fixed and very delicious.
    Try a brie that is perfectly ripe...an excellent Blue ( might I suggest Maytag?) a lovely medium cheese...like an edam or a non smoked provolone or baby Swiss....and a well aged chedder and Gruyere.
    Just shrimp with a dipping sauce, and a cold poached salmon or red snapper... hot chicken wings, tiny pork riblets grilled or oven roasted with a BBQ dupping sauce...
    Simple stuff is always good.
    Linda C

• iris_gal
    16 years ago

These are delicious and can be made a day ahead. If you want fancy, use a pastry tip to pipe the filling.

Stuffed Celery

8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
    1/4 C. sour cream
    1/4 C. soft butter

1 Tbsp. minced capers
    1/2 tsp. anchovy paste
    1/2 tsp. minced onion
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/2 tsp. paprika

32 - 6" celery stalks

Combine cream cheese, sour cream,
    and butter until smooth. Mix in
    remaining 5 ingredients.
    Fill celery stalks. Regrigerate
    overnight.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

This recipe is easier and faster than it might appear typed out here. People love these!

Sausage Crescent Nuggets

1 lb. well seasoned sausage - I like Jimmy Dean brand
    1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
    1 pkg. crescent roll dough
    1 egg or just the white
    poppy seeds

Preheat oven to 350. In skillet, brown sausage, drain well. While sausage is still warm, add cream cheese and stir until melted and creamy. Cool.

Separate dough into two rectangles. Pinch perforations to seal the dough. Form a log of the sausage/cream cheese mixture lengthwise down the center of each rectangle of dough. Fold sides of dough over, covering the sausage log. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with beaten egg, sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake 20 minutes at 350 until golden brown. Cool. Slice into 1/2" slices.

These can be baked, frozen, thawed, and warmed before serving.

You can sub 2 cans drained chopped mushrooms for the sausage. Add a little dried marjoram, thyme or Italian herb seasoning.

Source: somewhere in cyber space

• khandi
    16 years ago

Here's a recipe I just came across at Food Network Canada site. I don't eat salmon (can't stand the smell!) but it sounds like it would be good and thought I'd share.

Salmon Potato Cakes with Dipping Sauces

Yield: 4

Salmon Potato Cakes

1 cup new mini potatoes, cooked (250ml)
    1 can - 7.5 oz. Wild Sockeye salmon, drained, flaked, liquid reserved (418g)
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 clove small garlic, chopped
    1 tsp grated lemon zest (5ml)
    1 tsp lemon juice (5ml)
    1/4 tsp salt (1ml)
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (5ml)
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 pinch of paprika
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro (15ml)
    1 tbsp chopped parsley (15ml)
    1/2 cup cracker crumbs (125ml)
    3/4 cup Panko or fresh breadcrumbs (375ml)
    3 tbsp butter (30ml)
    3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil (30ml)

Chipolte Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup sour cream (125ml)
    2 tbsp regular or light mayonnaise (30ml)
    1/2 tsp minced, canned chipolte (2ml)
    1/4 tsp adobo sauce (1ml)
    1 tsp lime juice
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (1ml)

Dilly Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup sour cream (125ml)
    2 tbsp mayonnaise (30ml)
    2 tbsp dill pickle relish (30ml)
    1 tsp lemon juice (5ml)
    1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper (1ml)

Salmon Potato Cakes

Remove skin from salmon. Mash bones and salmon. Combine salmon, egg, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and paprika.

Kids Variation: Divide 1 cup of mixture.Form four 2-inch patties and coat with reserved cracker crumbs.Set aside.

Adults Variation: Divide 2 cups of salmon mixture and add cilantro and parsley. Form four 3  inch patties and coat with Panko or fresh breadcrumbs.Set aside.

Heat butter and oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place all patties in the pan. Cook for 2 Â 3 minutes per side, until golden brown and heated through.

TIP: Instead of frying patties you can bake them in an oven. Just place patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray each patty on both sides with cooking spray. Bake in 350F/180C oven for 10 minutes. Turn each patty and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with Chipolte or Dilly dipping sauce.

Chipolte Dipping Sauce

Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, chipolte, adobo sauce, lime zest, lime juice and pepper together until smooth.

Dilly Dipping Sauce

Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, relish, lemon juice and pepper together until smooth.

• khandi
    16 years ago

My aunt made this once and DH devoured it, and it was a huge hit with everyone at the family reunion!

Spread some salmon flavoured cream cheese on "appetizer" crackers.

Top with a small piece of thinly-sliced cold-cured salmon.

Arrange these on a platter and sprinkle with capers and thinly sliced onions (not chopped).

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

There are a TON from this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appetizers

• minsue67
    16 years ago

Eileen, here's an really easy one that even the kids will make.

Quicky Stuffed Mushrooms:
    20-25 medium mushrooms w/ the stems removed
    1(4oz.) container cream cheese w/ chives
    1 Tbs. fried bacon crumbs

Use an ungreased baking sheet. Generously fill each cap with cream cheese mix. Broil 6" from heat, 3-5 min. or until brown and bubbly. Can be made in advance.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Curried Chutney Spread

1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
    4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    1/2 t. curry powder
    1/4 t. salt
    3 TB sherry
    1/2 c. chutney, chopped if pieces are large
    2 green onions, finely chopped

Combine first 5 ingredients well. Spread in a shallow serving dish and top with chutney and green onions. Serve with Bremner wafers or other plain cracker.

Monterey Stuffed Mushrooms

1 lb. medium fresh mushroom caps
    Monterey Jack jalapeno pepper cheese

Clean mushrooms and twist out stems. Fill with cubes of the cheese. Bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes until the cheese melts. Serve hot. Makes about 30.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Ann Thanks I even had a post from 2006

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company