Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Olga's Cranberry Relish

Posted by kathleenca (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 17:58

This recipe was in the Los Angeles Times some years ago. It's become my favorite cranberry side dish because it's not sweet & it can be prepared far ahead. The recipe was on the radio years ago in San Francisco & adopted by Olga Morris for her family holidays. It was contributed to the Times Food section by Olga's son-in-law, Ellison Custodio.

OLGA'S CRANBERRY RELISH
makes about 3 cups

2 c. cranberries
1 small onion
1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. sour cream
2 Tbsp horseradish

Grind cranberries & onion in food processor until finely chopped.
Combine sugar, sour cream & horseradish & add to cranberry mixture.
Put into bowl or other freezing container & cover with foil or container lid. Freeze several hours or overnight.
Thaw in refrigerator abut 5 hours.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

That's Susan Stamberg's MIL's recipe. She's been giving it out for years on National Public Radio.

As Susan Stamberg has noted, her mother-in-law got the recipe from a 1959 New York Times clipping of Craig Claiborne's recipe for cranberry relish. In 1993, Claiborne told Stamberg: "Susan, I am simply delighted. We have gotten more mileage, you and I, out of that recipe than almost anything I've printed."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mama Stamberg's Cranberry relish

o
RE: RECIPE: Olga's Cranberry Relish

HAHAHA - isn't it interesting how "stuff" gets moved around & changed?! Thanks, momj47.

o
RE: RECIPE: Olga's Cranberry Relish

It's still Pepto-Bismol pink, no matter who makes it, which is always rather startling to see. It's not a color one expects to see in food, except maybe Jell-o!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here