Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackiwolfe

LOOKING for: Recipes for leftover turkey

jackiwolfe
17 years ago

I'm taking the initiative and starting to collect recipes that use leftover turkey now so that when my aunt sends me home with 6 pounds of roasted turkey, it won't go bad like it did last year!

One thing I did discover was that if I made taco soup the way I always do and added shredded turkey instead of browned beef, it turned out well. Got any other suggestions?

Comments (19)

• Marigene
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is another soup that you can use leftover turkey in if you are a wild rice fan. We love it.

Antlers Wild Rice Soup

1/2 cup uncooked wild rice, rinsed and drained
    3 14-ounce cans chicken broth or 5 1/4 cups homemade chicken stock
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 T butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 cup whipping cream (I used half and half)
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken (I used turkey)
    Snipped fresh chives (optional)

1. In 4 qt. Dutch oven, combine uncooked wild rice, 2 cans broth, carrot, celery and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, simmer 35 to 40 minutes or until the rice is tender but still chewy, adding mushrooms the last 5 minutes of cooking.
    2. In medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add the remaining 1 can of broth. Cook and stir until bubbly for 1 minute more; stir in the cream. Add cream mixture to rice mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in chicken, heat through. Garnish each serving with chives.
    It was suggested it needed garlic and thyme, I am inclined to agree having had it both ways

• pat_t
    17 years ago

TURKEY DIVAN CREPES

1 head broccoli, cut into florets or 1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped broccoli, defrosted and drained
    3 cups diced, cooked turkey
    1 (10.75 oz.) can Healthy Request cream of chicken soup
    1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1 Tblsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1 (4.5 oz.) pkg. prepared crepes (10 crepes)

Heat oven to 350 F. Cook the broccoli in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes until tender. Drain well. Combine broccoli and turkey in a large bowl and set aside. Combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, lemon juice, green onion and salt and pepper in a bowl. Add half of the soup mixture to the broccoli and turkey. Divide the turkey filling among the 10 crepes, roll up and place in a glass baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Spread with the remaining soup mixture and bake until bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 10 crepes.

ROQUEFORT TURKEY SALAD

3 cups turkey, cup up in 1-inch dice (chicken works too!)
    1 (8 oz.) container lowfat or regular sour cream
    3 oz. wedge or 4 oz. package good quality Roquefort cheese, crumbled
    3/4 tsp. salt
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1/2 large white onion, diced or 3 green onions, diced
    Fresh ground pepper, to taste
    1 tsp. Paprika
    Pinch of cayenne
    Splash of sherry vinegar

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

TURKEY AND RICE DELIGHT
    1 box (6 oz.) Uncle Ben's Original Long Grain and Wild Rice
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup flour
    1 can (4 oz.) mushrooms
    1 can (10-1/2 oz.) chicken broth
    2 cups light cream
    2 cups chopped turkey
    1 jar (2 oz.) chopped pimiento
    Slivered almonds

Cook rice according to directions on box.

Melt butter and stir in flour. Add juice from can of mushrooms, chicken broth, and cream. Stir over low heat until warm and creamy. Add rice, mushrooms, turkey, and pimiento. Put in a greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch casserole. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Bake at 350° F. for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.

From To Market, To Market... A Collection of Kentucky Recipes. The Junior League of Owensboro, Kentucky, Inc.

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

If you get tired of the turkey, you can make a batch of these and freeze them for a busy night's dinner closer to Christmas.

LINCOLN LOGS

1 1/ 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, finely diced
    1 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
    1 cup walnuts, finely chopped and lightly toasted
    1/ 4 cup celery, finely chopped
    1/ 4 cup onion, finely chopped
    1 Tbs. finely minced fresh parsley
    1/ 4 1/ 2 tsp.salt
    dash of pepper
    1/ 4 tsp. paprika
    1 cup white sauce (recipe below)
    Cooking oil

Mix chicken or turkey, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, walnuts, celery, onion, salt, pepper, and paprika. Moisten with 1/3 cup of sauce. Form mixture into 12 logs, each 3 inches long. Roll in remaining bread crumbs and fry in oil. Drain and serve with remaining sauce or leftover gravy. Notes: If you have trouble shaping the logs, chill mixture first. White sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator, as can the entire logs before frying, storing covered. Sauteed mushrooms can be added to the sauce to be served with the logs. Fresh or dried herbs can also be added in place of some of the parsley; tarragon is especially good.

White sauce:
    1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    2 Tbsp. flour
    1/ 4 tsp. salt
    dash pepper
    dash paprika
    1/ 2 cup chicken broth
    1/ 2 cup half-and-half

In medium saucepan, over low heat, melt butter; stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and half-and-half ; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Makes 1 cup

• lisbet
    17 years ago

Leftover Turkey Soup

1 turkey carcass
    3 ribs celery with tops -- coarsely chopped
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 coarsely ground black pepper
    2 bay leaves
    3 quarts (12 cups) water (or Swanson's canned ch.broth)
    1 pound fine soup noodles (or whatever pasta preferred)
    1 bunch carrots, pared and sliced
    3 ribs celery, sliced
    2 boxes (10oz ea.) frozen peas, thawed

Simmer turkey carcass, celery, onion, salt, pepper, and bay leaves in water about 2 hours. Remove carcass and strip meat from bones. Bring soup to a boil and add noodles, carrots and celery. Simmer 25 - 30 minutes. Add meat from bones and frozen peas. Simmer 10 additional minutes or until vegetables are tender.

NOTES: Got this recipe, years ago, from a newspaper article. I find that a little leftover stuffing, scraps of turkey meat, and/or gravey further enhances the soup. Hearty Turkey Soup is the perfect way to use any leftover turkey. A nutritious meal-in-one main course. Can be frozen.

• jackiwolfe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much guys! These look great!

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Here are two sandwich recipes using turkey.

KENTUCKY HOT BROWNS

From Chef Nick Sundberg:
    This is a regional favorite that originated at Louisville's Brown Hotel earlier in this century. Many variations can be found, most commonly country ham is added and a cheddar sauce is substituted. This is our version which I feel is closer to the original recipe. It is offered on our lunch menu.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 ounces turkey breast, roasted, sliced
    1 slice toasted white bread
    2 slices tomato
    2 slices bacon, cooked and drained
    Sauce:
    2 ounces butter
    3 ounces flour
    3/4 cup cream
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup Swiss cheese, grated
    salt and white pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
    Heat butter and add flour. Whisk and slowly cook for 5 minutes. Whisk in cream and milk and heat. Whisk in cheese until melted. Season. Simmer for 30 minutes. Sauce should be very thick. Quarter toast and place in an oven safe dish.

Monte Cristo Sandwich

4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices white sandwich bread
    2 teaspoons Dijon or honey mustard
    4 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
    2 ounces Black Forest ham, thinly sliced
    2 ounces roast turkey breast, thinly sliced
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup milk
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
    2 tablespoons clarified butter
    Confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)

Spread 2 slices of bread evenly with mustard. Top each with 1/4 of the cheese. Place 1/2 of the ham and turkey on cheese. Cover with remaining cheese. Top with remaining slices of bread to form 2 sandwiches.

In a large shallow dish, whisk together eggs and milk; season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Dip each sandwich in egg mixture to coat well on both sides.

On a griddle or in a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sandwiches and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Cut each sandwich in 1/2 and serve immediately, dusted with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

• jackiwolfe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That Kentucky Hot Browns sammie looks delicious, but what am I supposed to do with it once I place it in the oven safe dish? I would imagine heat it, but for how long and what temp? Thanks a bunch!!

• woodie
    17 years ago

My favorite recipe for leftover turkey is "heat and eat again and don't forget the gravy and stuffing" :-)

Here is another favorite -

TURKEY TETRAZZINI WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1- 3 1/2 pound spaghetti squash
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups canned chicken broth or chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups diced cooked turkey
    1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
    1 tablespoon Madeira or dry sherry
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    fresh lemon juice to taste
    freshly ground nutmeg to taste
    2 tablespoons buttered bread crumbs

Bake the spaghetti squash, pierced with a knife, on a baking sheet in a preheated 400* oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender and let cool. Halve the squash lengthwise, remove seeds and strings and scrape the flesh into a buttered 9 x 13 buttered baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.

In a saucepan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the broth, whisking vigorously until the mixture is smooth. Add the bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the turkey, cream and Madeira, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of the Parmesan, lemon juice and nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf. Spoon the turkey mixture over the squash and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and buttered bread crumbs. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
    Serves 4
    Best of Gourmet, 1990

• readinglady
    17 years ago

This is a long formula, but one I've found useful. It's for a turkey carcass stock with multiple variations. I've followed with three soup recipes using some of the stock. To tell the truth, I like the Hot and Sour so well I haven't tried the other two. The thing I like about these is they use the carcass and some of the white meat, which can be frozen. Two months later you can eat and enjoy without that overdosed-leftover sensation.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey Stock

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Base:
    1 turkey carcass -- (optional: neck, giblets and/or organ meats)
    32 ounces nonfat chicken broth -- (up to 64 ounces)
    6 cups water -- (up to 8 cups)
    1/2 cup carrots -- sliced
    1 celery rib -- cut 1" thick
    1/2 large onion -- peeled, stem end intact
    2 large cloves garlic -- (or 2 teaspoons, finely chopped)

For Basic Broth Add to Turkey and Vegetables:
    1 cup fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1 sprig fresh thyme -- (or 1/8 teaspoon dried)
    1 bay leaf
    salt -- to taste
    freshly ground pepper -- to taste

For Spicy Basic Broth Add to Turkey and Vegetables:
    1 cup fresh parsley -- packed
    1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    1 sprig fresh thyme -- (or 1/8 teaspoon dried)
    1 bay leaf
    1 serrano pepper -- sliced in half and seeds removed, or 1-2 small dried red peppers
    salt -- to taste

For Spicy Asian Broth Add to Turkey and Vegetables:
    1 serrano pepper -- sliced in half and seeds removed, or 1-2 small dried whole red peppers
    1 large slice fresh ginger
    peel of 1 whole orange -- (optional)
    salt to taste

For Spicy Southwest Broth Add to Turkey and Vegetables:
    1 serrano pepper -- sliced in half and seeds removed, or 1-2 small dried whole red peppers
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro -- packed
    1/2 cup fresh parsley -- packed
    salt to taste

For Dilly Broth Add to Turkey Parts and Liquid:
    1/2 cup carrots -- sliced
    2 celery ribs -- cut 1" thick
    1 large onion -- halved, peeled, stem end intact
    2 large cloves garlic -- (or 2 teaspoons finely chopped)
    1/2 cup parsnip slices
    1/2 cup fresh dill -- packed
    1/2 cup fresh parsley -- packed
    10 peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    salt -- to taste
    pepper -- to taste

Stove top method: Put all ingredients in a large kettle. Cover and bring slowly to a rapid boil. Skim offany scum on surface. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours. (I don't cover.) Strain and place into shallow containers to cool quickly and refrigerate immediately.

Slow-Cooker method: Put all ingredients in a large slow cooker. Cover, set on Low and cook 10-12 hours (high 4-5 hours). Strain and place into shallow containers to cool quickly and refrigerate immediately.

Keeps 3 days in the refrigerator or can be frozen for up to 3 months.

"by Holly Rudin-Braschi"

Orange-Scented Hot and Sour Turkey Soup

6 cups Spicy Asian Turkey Broth
    1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
    1 teaspoon ground white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
    1 teaspoon dry sherry
    1 teaspoon ginger puree or finely minced fresh ginger
    hot chile oil -- to taste
    salt -- to taste
    1 8-ounce can bamboo shoots -- rinsed and drained
    grated zest of one orange -- (about 2 tablespoons)
    1 10-ounce can whole straw mushrooms -- rinsed and drained
    2 cups diced turkey
    1 10.5-ounce box extra-firm tofu -- cut into bite-size pieces
    1 cup shredded carrot
    1/4 cup sliced green onions
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 tablespoons water

Place broth, vinegar, pepper sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sherry, ginger, chili oil and salt in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer 2-3 minutes, until meat and vegetables are heated through.

Stir cornstarch and water together; add to soup and cook until thickened and clear, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately.

NOTES : I usually skip the canned bamboo shoots and straw mushrooms in favor of spinach or bok choy and fresh mushrooms.

Greek-Style Turkey Egg and Lemon Soup

8 cups Dilly turkey broth
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill -- (or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed)
    2/3 cup orzo
    4 eggs -- (or 1 cup egg substitute)
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice -- (or frozen)
    2 cups turkey meat
    1 cup shredded carrot
    salt -- to taste

Bring broth and dill to a boil. Add the orzo and turn down heat to a medium simmer. Simmer 12-15 minutes until orzo is cooked.

While pasta is cooking, blend eggs and lemon juice. When pasta is cooked, pour 1 cup of soup into lemon-egg mixture and blend until smooth. Set aside lemon-egg mixture.

Add turkey meat and carrots to the soup. Simmer over low 5 minutes. When carrot is tender and meat is heated through, slowly stir in the lemon-egg mixture until the soup is thickened. Do not boil or eggs will curdle.

Adjust seasonings and serve immediately, garnished with fresh dill. Will keep in refrigerator up to 3 days. Do not freeze.

Mulligatawny Turkey Soup

6 cups Spicy Asian Turkey Stock
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    1 cup diced onion
    2 cups chopped celery
    3/4 cup shredded carrot
    1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
    2 medium cloves garlic -- crushed and finely minced
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1/8 teaspoon cloves
    1 teaspoon serrano pepper -- seeded and finely chopped
    1 1/2 tablespoons flour
    1 14-ounce can lowfat coconut milk
    2 1/2 cups turkey meat
    1 cup apple -- peeled and chopped
    3/4 cup dried cranberries

In a large pot, melt butter over low heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, ginger, garlic, cumin, curry, turmeric, cloves and serrano pepper and sauté over medium/low heat until onions are translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Mix in the flour and cook until mixture is thickened, about 1-2 minutes.

Carol

• FLYONAWALL
    17 years ago

Leftover turkey
    Leftover stuffing
    Leftover gravy
    Leftover Mashed Potatoes

Arrange on fancy mircowavable plate (if you prefer to separate them...do so)...otherwise top the turkey with the stuffing and mashed potatoes and add LOTS of gravy on top, cover and mirowave till hot. Redo until satisfied and full. Lick lips, wipe with paper napkin. Lay down and watch tv and fall asleep. lol

• woodie
    17 years ago

Hey "Fly" I'll share with you but you can have ALL the potatoes and I'll have a piece of bread with gravy on it.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

jackiwolfe

I have been eating Kentucky Hot Browns ever since I con remember, but they were referred to as Windsor Sandwiches where I came from. Here is the assembly:

After making the sauce put a piece of toast on a over proof contained, then add turkey, add the cheese sauce, then on top put the cooked bacon and sliced tomatoes and I sprinkle it with parmesan cheese. Put under the broiler until it is lightly browned and bubbly!

Here is another version:

Kentucky Hot Brown
    Recipe courtesy Turf Catering Company and Chef Eddie Mars
    Show: FoodNation With Bobby Flay
    Episode: Kentucky

4 ounces butter
    Flour to make a roux (about 6 tablespoons)
    3 to 3 1/2 cups milk
    1 beaten egg
    6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
    1 ounce whipped cream (optional)
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 cup Sautéed mushrooms
    1 whole tomato, sliced
    Slices roast turkey
    8 to 12 slices of toast (may be trimmed)
    8 to 12 strips fried bacon

Melt butter and add enough flour to make a reasonably thick roux (enough to absorb all of the butter). Add milk and 6 tablespoons Parmesan. Add egg to thicken sauce, but do not allow to boil.
    Remove from heat. Fold in whipped cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    For each Hot Brown, place 2 slices of toast on a metal (or flameproof) dish. Cover the toast with mushrooms and thinly sliced tomatoes, then cover with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over the turkey and toast. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan. Place entire dish under a broiler until the sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, cross 2 pieces of bacon on top and serve immediately.

Kentucky Hot Brown
    by Lyle Hanna
    Lyle Hanna, iParenting's Dad of the Month for January, shares a family favorite!

8 slices of bacon
    4 slices of turkey breast
    4 slices of toast
    4 slices of tomato
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup milk
    1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
    Cook the bacon until crisp.

To make the sauce, in a saucepan, melt butter and add flour to make a paste. Add milk and stir constantly over medium high heat until sauce thickens. Add cheese and stir until well blended.

Place toast in a baking pan placing a slice of turkey on each piece of toast. Pour cheese sauce over turkey and place a tomato slice in the center of each sandwich. Then put a piece of bacon on either side of the tomato. Place under the broiler until the cheese starts to bubble and begin to turn slightly brown.

• Terri_PacNW
    17 years ago

My favorite Turkey Leftover and is a must after turkey day every year!

TDay Casserole

I have to have alot of leftovers, because I want a full 9x13 of this baby.
    But smaller amounts can be made in smaller dishes.

In a greased baking dish, layer leftover torn turkey. (Good time to use up the dark meat at my house.) Then layer leftover dressing. Layer peas(cooked, frozen, canned or leftover).Pour gravy to keep things below it moist.(I like lots of gravy!) Layer on leftover prepared mashed potatoes. Dot with butter, sprinkle fresh cracked pepper, cover with foil and put in fridge or bake at 350F until heated through.
    I can't wait.......Once baked, I will reheat "portions" in the microwave. I'll eat this all day every day til it's gone!

• jackiwolfe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I can't wait for Thanksgiving now! Thanks ya'll!

• canarybird01
    17 years ago

My DH loved the way this is prepared at an Italian restaurant we frequent, and I thought it must be simple to duplicate. Here's the photo from the restaurant version and then the one I made which tasted even better - guess I used more cream and maybe I poured on too much sauce for the photo.

{{gwi:2052164}}

Turkey & Noodles in Curry Cream Sauce
    2 - 3 portions
    1 lb turkey breast, cooked and cut into chunks
    butter - 1 heaping TBS
    flour - 1 heaping TBS
    milk - about 1 1/2 cups
    heavy cream - about 1 1/2 cups
    1 chicken stock cube or spoonful of chicken bouillon mix
    1 heaping TBS curry powder (I used Sharwoods's mild)
    fettuccini noodles for 2 - 3 servings
    fresh ground pepper
    butter

1) Put water on to boil for noodles.

2) If turkey is not already cooked, it can be done in microoven with 3 TBS water until just done

3) Melt butter in saucepan, take off stove and mix in flour to make a roux, gradually adding warmed milk a few drops at a time and stirring to keep smooth.

4) Put back on low heat and finish adding milk, then cream
    a little at a time and stirring. Crumble in chicken stock cube and curry powder. Stir to blend.

5) Add turkey chunks and heat gently, keeping warm while cooking noodles in pot of water.

6) Drain noodles, add butter and fresh ground black pepper.
    Pour sauce over noodles and mix. Serve on hot plates and add grated parmesan.

Note: The Spanish and German chicken stock cubes and chicken sauce bases are excellent and quite different than the ones I saw in Canada. This dish tastes better than the version in the Italian restaurant and goes well with a nice crisp green salad.

I usually make a turkey curry at the end of our Christmas bird. The dressing and cranberry sauce as well as the gravy all goes with this. The recipe is taken from a Sharwood Curry Powder advert for chicken curry which I also make but here I substitute leftover turkey.

TURKEY CURRY

Serves 4.

1 apple, peeled and chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 TBS oil
    2 TBS curry powder
    1 level TBS flour
    15 fluid oz (scant 2 cups) stock (boil turkey bones to make stock)
    1 TBS chutney (I use Sharwoods Mango Chutney)
    1/4 to 1/3 cup (60 grams) sultana raisins
    8 oz (225 grams) diced turkey (include different sized small pieces from the leftovers on the turkey platter)
    salt

1) Fry chopped apple and onion together in 2 TBS oil. Add curry powder and flour. Fry gentry 1 minute.

2) Blend in the stock, bring to boil. Add 1 TBS chutney and the raisins. Simmer, covered - 30 minutes.

3) Add turkey pieces to the sauce, season with salt and simmer very gently 10 - 15 minutes more. If you have some leftover turkey gravy - that also goes well added into the curry sauce.

4) Serve over rice and pass around cranberry sauce, warmed turkey dressing, mango chutney and chopped walnuts.

SharonCb

• joydee12
    17 years ago

lisbet:
    I also have this recipe, referred to as Williamsburg Soup. I got it years ago, I think from 'Mr Food' on TV. Have been making it ever since. It is said that the people in Williamsburg flock to the restaurants the day after Thanksgiving for this soup. It is basically the same as yours only it calls for all the leftovers to be added: dressing, gravy, whatever vegtable(corn, gr. beans, etc) even a little cranberry sauce. No particular measurements, just eyeball it. At the end, I add noodles. My family loves it.

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

Not T&T but I spotted this in a magazine today and thought it looked very good!

Turkey and Cranberry Strata

"Great make ahead for casual entertaining. Croissants are the bread of choice in this recipe but you could substitute 12 slices of egg bread or challah"

6 croissants
    2 TBSP dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 cup cranberry sauce
    3 cups chopped cooked turkey
    2 1/2 cups milk
    5 eggs
    1 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 TBSP chopped fresh sage
    or 1 TBSP dried, crumbled
    1/4 tsp salt

Slice croissants in half horizontally and spread with mustard. Sprinkle with half the pepper. Spread botom half of croissant with cranberry sauce then add turkey. Place top half of croissant over turkey. Place filled croissants into a casseole dish overlapping slightly. Set aside

In a large bowl whisk together milk, eggs,garlic, sage, salt and remaining pepper. Pour over croissants. Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours or up to 24.

Unwrap and bake at 375 for 40 - 45 minutes or until golden and knife inserted comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

• gellchom
    17 years ago

I saw this unusual recipe on the side of a barley box, and we love it. I make it with either chicken (after making soup) or turkey. It is a jewel of a recipe because it is not only easy and very fast, it uses only ingredients I always have on hand.

Chicken or Turkey and Barley Chili
    1 c chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced (I like more)
    1 T vegetable oil
    2 c water
    ¾ c quick barley
    16 oz. can chopped tomatoes, with juice
    16 oz. can tomato sauce
    About 1 ¾ c chicken broth
    11 oz. can corn, drained (or use frozen)
    4 oz. can chopped green chilies, drained
    1 T chili powder
    ½ ground cumin
    3 c chopped, cooked chicken (or use the whole thing) or turkey

In 4-qt. saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add remaining ingredients except chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and continue simmering 5-10 more minutes or until chicken is heated through and barley is tender. Add more water or broth if chili becomes too thick upon standing (which it will).

Makes 9 1-cup servings (or more, if you use more meat, like I do).

• san_
    17 years ago

there are some good-looking dishes here and we decided to try out marigene's recipe, "antler's wild rice soup". that worked out great for us, even if i only had about 1/4 C of cream. i'd enjoy trying out a couple more of these but suprisingly, that used the last of our turkey. thanx for posting it marigene!