Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elmokali

RECIPE: Pie Crust

elmokali
11 years ago

I am just starting to do pie crust from scratch. Most recipes say you should mixed your pie crust ingredients and put them in the refrigerator for at leat two hours or overnight. But they do not say what the maximum time the pie crust dough can be in the refrigerator. Is there a maximum time before one rolls out the crust?

Comments (7)

• namot
    11 years ago

elmokali,
    not sure about your question, I would guess 24 hrs or so, otherwise consider freezing. passing along these folks to you, I've had great luck with their recipes and products, although you can buy other, the info itself is worth checking into.
    good luck,
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/our-favorite-pie-crust-recipe

• phonegirl
    11 years ago

Elmokali,
    I use to always buy premade pie crusts until my
    Dear Mother gave me this recipe.
    Perfect Pie Crust Every Time
    4c. unsifted flour
    2 tsp. salt
    1 3/4 c Crisco
    1/2 c water
    1 TBSP white vinegar
    1 large egg
    No matter how much you handle this dough
    it will be tender and flaky. Put the 4
    cups of flour and salt in large bowl. Mix
    well. Add crisco and using a dough blender
    mix until ingredients are crumbly.

In a measuring cup fill with 1/2 cup water,
    add vinegar and egg and mix well. Combine
    with flour mixture, stirring with fork
    until moistened. Divide dough into 4 equal
    parts. With hands, shape dough into 4 flat
    round patties. Wrap in platic wrap and chill
    for 1/2 hour. When ready, roll into crust.
    Can freeze up to two weeks before using and
    the dough will remain nice.

I haven't bought pie crust since I made this
    the first time. Hope you like flaky crust
    and try this recipe. Let me know.

Punk

• rosesinny
    11 years ago

Elmokali - no. There is no limit on how long you can put in the fridge, although after a few weeks it gets moldy.

But you don't have to put it into the fridge at all. People make recipies a lot more complicated than they need to be.

If you've made the crust - incorporated all the butter and water, then the purpose of putting it into the fridge is to "relax" the dough. It really becomes far easier to handle, even if you only leave it for like 15 or 20 minutes. Overnight is great but not necessary.

Don't knead the dough, but make sure everything is mixed. And leave some larger lumps of butter. Do it by hand rather than mechanically and it works a lot better. It takes about 5 minutes to make dough - there's no reason on earth to buy pre-made dough. And use butter. Shortening and margarine leave a fatty coating in your mouth.

• marc_ia
    10 years ago

I use Crisco and never refrigerate. I have on occasion made crusts with butter instead of crisco and in that case I can see refrigerating.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    10 years ago

I would just go ahead and freeze after 24hrs if you don't plan to use it. I like to make a few when i have a bit of time and go ahead and freeze.
    My go-to recipe is from smitten kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: pie crust 102

• robertz6
    10 years ago

Anyone try the tip to substitute 1 oz vodka for 1 oz. water?

from NPR's Splendid Table program

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Robert ~

There was a lot of buzz about the vodka crust being superior on the cooking forum. Less shrinkage, flavor, etc. etc.

When the novelty wore off several excellent bakers declared they preferred their non-vodka crusts.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia