Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjlpn

RECIPE: sour dough starter

cjlpn
15 years ago

I have began a sour dough starter 2 days ago. It smells like alcohol. It does not have liquid on top of it. It has bubbles throughout. How do I know if it is ready to be refrigerated or if it is worth refrigerating?

Comments (8)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

That is pretty fast for a sourdough starter. What recipe did you use? If it had yeast in the recipe, then yes, you can make bread with the starter or refrigerate it. What does the recipe say to do with the starter?

• cjlpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The starter recipe did use yeast and it said after 3 days you could make bread, but that seems a little fast to me.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

A starter that captures wild yeast from the air takes much longer to multiply than one that uses commercial yeast. So I would go ahead and use the starter to make bread or refrigerate it to use later according to the recipe.
    Teresa

• gengenz
    15 years ago

Can sour dough starter be frozen? At what stage? gengen

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Yes, it can be frozen - but you don't want to freeze all of your starter. Freeze just enough, 1/4 to 1/2 cup, to provide you a back-up in case something happens to your larger container of starter.

To freeze: take starter out of refrigerator, bring up to room temp (about 1-2 hours), feed with equal portions of flour and water, let it sit and multiply for at least 2 hours or more, then take out 1/4 to 1/2 cup, put it in a small container or freezer bag, seal, label and date, put in freezer.

To revive frozen starter: thaw completely in refrigerator, let sit out to come up to room temp, feed with 1 TB flour and 1 TB water, let work for 2-4 hours, feed with 2 TB flour and 2 TB water, let work for 2-4 hours, feed again with 1/4 cup flour and 1/4 cup water, let work for 2-4 hours. Now you should have enough starter to use in your recipe, if not, feed with 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water and let work for 2-4 hours at room temp.

You don't want to dump a whole cup of flour and one of water on a small amount of starter. You want to gradually build up the amount. Always let the starter work (bubble and expand) at room temp. Store the starter after feeding and making bread in the refrigerator.

• cjlpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I threw out the starter because I read that a true sour dough starter uses no yeast. The article stated that you would not get the sour taste that sour dough has, if yeast is used in the starter.I would be so grateful if anyone has a starter recipe that they would be willing to share.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

cjlpn,
    I will send you some dried starter if you will contact me by email - go to My Page beside my forum name and send me an email with your mailing address. I will dry some starter for you and send it with directions and recipes.

Teresa

• cjlpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. I would love to have some starter. i'll email right away.