Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msazadi

LOOKING for: Chocolate pudding cake

msazadi
18 years ago

Now this was popular back in the 60s? 70s? and my googling didn't seem to come up with anything as simple as the three or four ingredient recipe that I think came from Family Circle or Womans' Day. I have the Lemon PC that my d mill sent to me, but the choc one has gone south it seems.

I'm tasting it already.

Comments (13)

• lindac
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The recipe was always on the box of Duncan Hines cake mix....who saved it?
    Wasn't it a box of devil's food cake mix, a package of chocolate pudding ( not instant)....some oil, some eggs, and some water...
    But the question is what is 'some"...LOL!
    Good luck!
    Linda C

• msazadi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Linda, but as soon as I posted I thought...oh I should have been clearer. The kind of cake I'm talking about has cocoa and boiling water and is mixed in the pan. When baked the cake rises to the top and sits on a fudgy puddding kind of base.

This is NOT the vinegar cake which is similar but if I recall just uses vinegar to mak it rise. That was a very simple cake and great in the tropics where chocolate got yucky in some pre a/c days.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Ah, we used to call it "Hot Fudge Sundae Cake". Here's my recipe, from my 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook:

Hot Fudge Sundae Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tbls cocoa
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup milk
    2 tbls vegetable oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup chopped nuts (optional
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 3/4 cup hottest tap water

Heat oven to 350. Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2 tbls cocoa, baking powder and salt in ungreased 9 inch square pan. Mix in milk, oil and vanilla with fork until smooth. Stir in nuts if desired. Spread in pan, sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 cup of cocoa, pour hot water over batter.

Bake 40 minutes. While warm spoon into dessert dishes and top with ice cream. Spoon sauce from pan onto each serving.

9 servings

Annie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    18 years ago

This is still one of my favorites. I use a very similar recipe to Annie's, except I use melted butter instead of oil. Delicious!

• Erin24
    18 years ago

Coincidentally, I was looking through a holiday book tonight and saw a recipe similiar to the one you're talking about. It's in a book called Country Christmas, edited by Emma Holley. This one also has more than a few ingredients though, more like 10-15. It's called Christmas Pudding. If you want me to post the recipe, let me know.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

Hey! wait a minute... I have that recipe... it's here somewhere... what memories you're bringing back:

Fudge Batter Pudding Cake
    Shaker Hancock Village

Sauce
    1/2 cup white sugar
    5 Tblsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 2/3 cups boiling water

Batter
    2 Tblsps butter, melted
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    1 cup white flour
    3 Tblsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup coarsly chopped walnuts or pecans

Set oven for 350 F. Butter 1 1/2 qt. baking dish.

Suace:
    Combine sugar, cocoa powder and salt in bowl and stir until combined. Pour in boiling water and stir until completely dissolved. (This will be very liquid and not look like a sauce at all.) Pour into baking dish.

Batter:
    Combine the melted butter, sugar and vanilla in small bowl and set aside. In large bowl sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; stir milk into butter mixture alternately with flour mixture; stir in nuts. Drop large spoonfuls of batter onto chocolate sauce. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm.

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

They're called Self Saucing Puddings in my part of the world. I make No. 1 - a recipe as old as the hills. I omit the salt, and I double the sauce ingredients! I've even microwaved it.

Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding (1)
    1 cup self raising flour
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    30g butter
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 3/4 cups hot water

Sift flour, salt and cocoa. Add sugar, mix well. Stir in milk, vanilla and melted butter, mix until smooth. Spread evenly into a greased ovenproof dish. Combine brown sugar and sifted cocoa, sprinkle over top of pudding. Pour hot water carefully over the top. Bake at 170C for 50-60 minutes.

Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding (2)
    1/2 cup milk
    200g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
    1 cup self raising flour, sifted
    1/2 cup castor sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    45g butter, melted
    1 tablespoon cocoa

Combine milk and chocolate in a small saucepan and stir over gentle heat until chocolate is melted. Combine flour and sugars in a medium mixing bowl. Beat together the chocolate mixture, eggs and butter. Pour into dry ingredients and combine. Pour into a greased ovenproof dish. Carefully pour over fudge sauce and bake at 180C for 1 hour or until pudding is firm. Dust with sifted drinking chocolate and serve.

Fudge Sauce
    2 cups water
    2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon golden syrup
    45g butter, melted

Beat all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.

• notenoughroses
    18 years ago

I remember my great-grandmother baking a chocolate pudding cake when I was a child, though I don't remember if she made hers from scratch or from a box. Anyhow, here is our family's favorite recipe.

Chocolate Upside Down Pudding Cake
    1 cup flour
    1 tablespoons baking powder
    cup cocoa powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup margarine
    ½ cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sauce:
    ¾ cup sugar
    ¼ cup cocoa
    2 cups boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt. Add the sweetener, margarine, milk and vanilla and mix together until Âjust mixed. Spread in a lightly oiled casserole dish. Set aside.
    In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and cocoa. Sprinkle evenly on top of the cake mixture. Carefully pour the boiling water over top. NOTE: DO NOT MIX THIS TOGETHER! It will do its own thing in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes. To serve, scoop out portions  the cake will be on top and the pudding will be on the bottom.

If you are interested in more pudding cakes - here is a post I saved from a year or so ago on the cooking forum regarding pudding cakes. (Sorry, I didn't save who posted what recipe.) I have only made the blueberry pudding cake and it was excellent.

Lemon Pudding Cake

2 eggs, separated
    2/3 cup milk (increase to 1 cup if you like lots of sauce)
    1 tsp. grated lemon peel
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 tsp salt

Beat egg white until stiff and set aside. Beat egg yolks slightly; beat in milk, lemon peel and juice. Beat in dry ingredients until smooth. Fold into egg whites.

Pour into ungreased 1 qt casserole or pan. Place casserole into square 9x9 pan, on oven rack, and pour in 1" very hot water. (I dont always do this and it turns out ok)

Bake at 350 until golden brown, about 45 to 50 minutes. Can serve warm or cold.

GINGERBREAD PUDDING CAKE

2-1/2 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1-1/2 tsp. Baking soda
    1 egg
    1-1/4 tsp. Ginger
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. Allspice
    1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
    1/2 cup softened butter
    1 cup molasses
    1-1/3 cups melted butter
    1 cup water
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1-1/2 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350° F. Combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, salt, and nutmeg, and set aside. In a large bowl beat ½ cup softened butter and sugar on medium until creamy; add egg and continue beating until well mixed. Continue by adding flour and alternating with molasses and 1 cup water. Pour into greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. In medium bowl combine 1-1/2 cups hot water and melted butter. Gently pour over batter. Bake for 40-55 minutes or until top cracks. Serve hot with cool whip or whipped cream. Yummy!

Recipe by Jennifer Jeffries of Texas.

APPLE PUDDING CAKE

A fruity, crusty, gooey version of the crusty, gooey and more familiar chocolate pudding cake.

Cake mixture:
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2/3 cup vegetable shortening
    1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    2 tsp. baking soda
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. ground nutmeg
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    6 cups peeled and chopped apples (about 5 medium apples)

Sauce mixture:
    1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    2 Tblsp. flour
    1/4 cups (1/2 stick) butter
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup water
    1 cup heavy cream, optional

Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease a 13- x 9- x 2-inch pan.
    In a frying pan over low-medium heat, toast the pecans until they begin to color and become fragrant, about 7 minutes. Pour into a dish and set aside.
    In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Sift together the baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour, and beat into the sugar mixture.
    Fold in the chopped apples and the nuts. The mixture will be stiff.
    Spread into the prepared pan. (Don't bake it yet.)
    In a medium saucepan, stir together the brown sugar and the 2 tablespoons of flour. Add the butter, vanilla and water, stir, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil gently for 3 minutes, stirring often. Pour this hot sauce evenly over the batter. Do not stir. Bake 1 hour.
    Serve warm, with whipped cream if desired. Serves 10 to 12.

From the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, 6/14/01.

BLUEBERRY PUDDING CAKE

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (no need to thaw)
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 cup milk
    3 Tblsp. butter or margarine, melted

Topping:
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 Tblsp. cornstarch
    1 cup boiling water
    vanilla ice cream, optional

Toss the blueberries with cinnamon and lemon juice; place in a greased 8- inch square baking dish.

In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder; stir in milk and butter. Spoon over berries.

Combine sugar and cornstarch; sprinkle over batter.
    Slowly pour boiling water over all.

Bake at 350° F. for 45-50 minutes or until cake is golden and tests done.

Cool a bit and serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Serves 6.

Recipe from: Taste of Home magazine.

DATE PUDDING CAKE

1 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 tsp. Baking powder
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup chopped pitted dates
    1-1/4 cups boiling water
    1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 Tblsp. Margarine or butter
    1 tsp. Vanilla
    Unsweetened whipped cream (optional)

Grease a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and the baking powder. Add milk; mix well. Stir in the chopped pitted dates; spread the batter in the prepared baking dish.
    In a medium mixing bowl stir together boiling water, pecans or walnuts, the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar, margarine or butter, and vanilla; pour over the date mixture in the baking dish.
    Bake, uncovered, in a 350° F. oven for about 30 minutes or until set. Serve warm with unsweetened whipped cream, if desired. Makes 12 to 16 servings.

CINNAMON PUDDING CAKE

1 3/4 c. brown sugar
    1 ½ c. cold water
    2 Tbsp. Butter 1 c. milk
    1 c. sugar
    2 Tbsp. Butter
    2 c. flour
    2 tsp. Baking powder
    ½ tsp. Salt
    2 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
    ½ c. chopped walnuts ( optional )

Preheat oven to 350° Combine brown sugar, water & 2 Tbsp butter in small saucepan, bring to a boil, remove from heat & set aside. Cream together 2 Tbsp. Butter and sugar, add milk, then add flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon.Spread in ungreased 9 x 9 x 2 in. Pan or oven proof dish. Pour reserved brown sugar syrup over batter-sprinkle with nuts. Bake 35-40 min.

• msazadi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh you are dears. Those are all just what I was looking for.

And, NERoses, what a list?!?? I couldn't cook last year with the reno but I'll make up for it this year! Waddle, waddle.. ;-)

• Daisyduckworth
    18 years ago

Rhubarb Self Saucing Pudding
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/2 cup milk
    1 1/4 cup self raising flour
    3 cups diced rhubarb
    1 heaped cup sugar, extra
    2 cups boiling water

Combine the egg, sugar, butter, milk and flour, and mix well. Spread in well greased 23x33cm tin. Combine the rhubarb, extra sugar and boiling water, and pour over cake batter. Bake at 200C for 25 minutes or until cake is golden brown.

Date and Lemon Self Saucing Pudding
    1 cup self-raising flour
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    60g butter
    3/4 cup cold water
    1/2 cup pitted chopped dates
    1/4 cup hot water
    1/3 cup golden syrup
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    3 teaspoons butter, extra
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind

Lightly grease an ovenproof dish (4-cup capacity). Sift flour into a bowl, rub in butter, then stir in dates, sugar and rind. Add egg and cold water, mix well. Spread mixture over base of prepared dish. Combine hot water, syrup and extra butter in a pan, stir over heat, without boiling, until butter is melted, pour over date mixture in dish. Bake in moderate oven for about 40 minutes, or until firm. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serves 4.

• msazadi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lest you think I was ungrateful about my request for pudcakes, I did make Annie's recipe, more or less. I didn't change it by intention but dh just announced that the big freezer wasn't freezing as I was mixing it up so...

I didn't see the 'in' as in Mix in milk, oil and vanilla with fork until smooth. That was mixtake #1, I just poured the liquid on the top of the dry! Then, I forgot the 2nd stage cocao, and had to yank the pan out and quickly sprinkly the cocao on top of the semi-mixed mess! That was mistake #2.

I didn't take a pic but ...there were pockets of dry ingredients that didn't get any liquid, then the sauce was kind of here and there, BUT....there isn't any left. Some KF people might have thrown it out but dh and I are hardy souls, and warm gooey chocolaty stuff just says Eat Me. I finished the remains up one morning for breakfast..

That recipe was just what I wanted Annie. Thanks!

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Maureen, you are more than welcome. Frankly, I think it's good enough that even when it's not perfect, it's pretty much still edible, especially warm with a little vanilla ice cream.

And I am SO glad to hear that I'm not the only person that gets "lost" in the instructions. :-)

Annie

• janqlts
    16 years ago

I remember a Betty Crocker chocolate pudding cake mix in the late 60's that took about 10 minutes to make. It was choc. cake mix with dry pudding mix on top and after reading your posts, I remembered I poured boiling water on top and baked it. Why would you use brown sugar instead of white sugar? Thanks for the recipe Anne. I will try it tomorrow.
    Jan

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County