Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janisoga_gw

LOOKING for: Looking for 1980s appetizer recipie

janisoga
13 years ago

Thanks to both of you who responded - wish I had your email addresses to respond to individually. I didn't know how else to hope you would see this, except to post it as new. Unfortunately neither recipie is the right one. Do you have any ideas where else I could look or write to?

Comments (4)

• party_music50
    13 years ago

Try posting on the Cooking forum!

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

I've done some searching on the web and turned up nothing so far.

Could this be version of a cheese puff? Eggs, soup mix, grated cheddar blended together to form a spread which is spread (like frosting) to cover all side of a large cube of bread (but not the bottom) then baked until it puffs and browns slightly?

You could do a trial by mixing up 1 egg, a TB or 2 of the onion soup mix (get the brown seasonings in as well as the dried onions), and a cup of grated cheddar - mix up well and chill several hours (to hydrate the onions) then spread on a 1-inch thick slice of firm white bread and bake at 400 F for about 10 minutes until golden (and to cook the egg).

I'll continue to search; it would help if you could give me all the ingredients you think were used.

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Tonight I looked in some of my older cookbooks and found only this:

Onion Twirls

2 sticks margarine, softened
    1 envelope dry onion soup mix
    2 packages crescent rolls - Pillsbury tube in dairy case

Mix together the softened margarine and the soup mix. This mixture should be at room temp when used. On a sheet of wax paper, divide each package of rolls into 4 rectangles; pinch to close perforations in the dough. Be sure to have the roll dough well chilled.

Spread a layer of the soup mixture on each of the 4 rectangles. Roll each rectangle in a jelly roll fashion; slice each into 8 pieces. Each package of crescent rolls should yield 32 slices.

Follow the instructions on the crescent roll package for time and temperature. "I sometimes find the rolls need more time than the package says. These are excellent. If you have any soup mixture left over, use it on baked potatoes, cooked vegetables, toast or hot rolls!" [quote from the recipe contributor]

Ah ha! I just now read this last sentence!!!

"Jean Chappell uses this mixture to spread on loaf bread, then cuts the slices into three strips and toasts in a 350 oven for 10 minutes, until golden."

Hope this helps!
    Teresa

• granny2shoes_fl
    13 years ago

MINI-HAM PUFFS
    Posted by Granny2shoes

Posted by Granny2shoes

1 pkg (2.5 oz) processed ham, chopped
    1 small onion, chopped (about1/4 cup)
    1/2 cup shredded cheese
    1 egg
    1-1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 pkg refrigerated crescent rolls

Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Finely chop ham and onion, add cheese, egg, mustard, and pepper, mix well. Lightly spray mini-muffin pan. Unroll crescent rolls and press dough into one large rectangle. Cut rectangle into 24 pieces. Press dough pieces into muffin tin with mini-tart shaper dipped in flour. Fill each muffin cup with filling. Bake 13-15 minutes