Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjlpn

RECIPE: looking for moist coconut cake recipe

cjlpn
15 years ago

I would love to have a moist coconut cake recipe to make for Thanksgiving dinner. I really perfer a scratch recipe.

Comments (4)

• woodie
    15 years ago

I have made this pound cake and think its quite good!

CUBAN COCONUT POUND CAKE
    Posted by Marlen (My Page) on Sun, Apr 13, 03 at 21:27
    Really quite good. If you want to be decadent (and I do!), drizzle some chocolate sauce over it before serving. Ice cream will do fine as well.

2 sticks unsalted butter
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp. almond extract
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 cups sugar
    5 eggs
    3 cups flour, sifted
    1 cup milk
    7 oz. shredded coconut
    1 cup almonds, thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
    Prepare a 10" non-stick tube pan. Line bottom with buttered parchment or wax paper (buttered side up), cut to fit.

In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until it is soft and smooth. Add vanilla and almond extracts, salt and sugar and beat to mix. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition.

On low speed alternately add flour in three additions, scraping bowl with a rubber spatula and beating only until incorporated. Remove from mixer and fold in nuts and coconut.

Turn into prepared pan and smooth the top

Bake for 1-1/2 hours until top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand on a rack for 15 min. Then cover with a rack, turn the rack and cake pan over, remove the pan cover with another rack and invert again, leaving the cake right side up. Let stand until cool.
    When cake is cool, carefully peel off paper lining.
    Wrap cool cake in plastic wrap. If possible, refrigerate overnight before serving. Or place in freezer for about 45 min. It must be cold when sliced or it will crumble.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You'll love this one posted below but you can't go wrong with any of Marlen's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coconut Cake

• cjlpn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. I guess it's off to the kitchen for me.

• lillyjane
    15 years ago

This is the best ever coconut cake; Bake 1 cake mix as usual, let cool poke holes in it with a wooden spoon handle' pour 1 can cream of coconut milk over the cake, letting drizzle into the holes. Frosting " mix 1 pkg cream cheese with 1 cup powdered sugar, fold in 1 cup cool whip & frost, sprinkle with toasted coconut. sooo good & moist.
    Jan ")
    I use 2 cake mixes, I bake 1 & a half cake mix cause I like thick cakes, (the kids love the left over batter) & I always double the frosting also.