Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvsgrtdanes

LOOKING for: Spaghetti squash

luvsgrtdanes
19 years ago

Anybody have any good ideas on how to use or prepare this tasty veggie. I have never made it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ronnie

Comments (16)

• lindac
    19 years ago

With anyfood I don't know much about....I find the simpest way to prepare is the best way to start.
    Begin by cutting the squash in half, scraping out the seeds and putting the halved cut side down on a baking sheet and cooking until soft.....about 30 minutea at 375 degrees.....maybe longer. salt, pepper and butter....
    Linda C

• dlynn2
    19 years ago

I used to have a really good recipe that the Frugal Gourmet did with this. I can't remember anything else about it, though (I've had a couple of brain tumors since I used to cook this and my memory is really bad)! Maybe someone else can figure out what recipe I'm talking about. When my DH gets home tomorrow I'll ask him if he remembers anything more about this (like what else it had in it).

• dlynn2
    19 years ago

This isn't The Frugal Gourmet's recipe, but it was sort of like this (I think), only it had basil, garlic, broth, olive oil, parmesan and some other stuff, and no vinegar and cumin. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Anyway, I found this and it sounded good, too.

* Exported from MasterCook II *
    Confetti Spaghetti Squash
    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Vegetables
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 medium spaghetti squash (3 lb)
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon wine vinegar
    1/2 cup diced green pepper
    1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
    1/4 cup diced onion
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 small glove garlic -- minced
    Cook squash according to microwave directions. Split crosswise. Remove and
    discard seeds. With a fork, scoop strands into a bowl. Toss to separate
    strands.
    Combine stock, oil, vinegar, green pepper, red pepper, onion, parsley,
    cumin and garlic.
    Either cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes, or saute until tender.
    Add squash and toss, evenly distributing colors. Cover and microwave on
    high for 2 minutes.
    Serve piping hot, or refrigerate for 2 hours and serve cold.

• heidibird
    19 years ago

You can use it as a substitute in any dishes you would normallly use regular spaghetti. Its flesh is basically tasteless, so it takes on whatever you give it.
    ~Heidi

• notenoughroses
    19 years ago

This is one of our family favorites. ~ Suzie

Spaghetti Squash with Cinnamon and Cranberries
    ½ spaghetti squash, seeded and strings removed
    1 cup water
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
    ½ teaspoon cinnamon
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the squash, flesh side down, in a baking dish. Add one inch of water and bake 40 minutes or until soft and easily pierced with fork. Remove from oven and let cool to the touch. Scrape out the interior with a fork into a casserole dish. Stir in the salt, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and cranberries. Cover and return to oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with maple syrup; stir well. Serve warm.
    Serves 4

• ruthanna_gw
    19 years ago

This recipe was originally posted by Marlen:

GINGERED SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1 small spaghetti squash, cut in half, deseeded
    2 Tbs. butter
    1 Tbs. honey
    1/ 2 tsp. minced fresh ginger
    Salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place squash on baking dish and add remaining ingredients. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until squash is al dente. Do not overcook the squash. Spoon out squash and check for seasoning. Keep warm for serving. 4 servings

• Karigraphy
    19 years ago

This recipe was a hit with our family including young children and I've given it as a pre-made dinner (w/o baking in advance) to a family that had just had a baby and the parents were watching carbs. Hint: Microwave whole squash for 5 minutes before slicing and it is much easier to cut.

Spaghetti Squash With Vegetables & Mozzarella (LOW CARB)

This recipe makes a veggie rich, cheesy casserole, almost like a lasagna. Spaghetti Squash substitutes for the role traditionally taken by pasta in such dishes for a delicious, lower calorie alternative.

1 spaghetti squash, cooked by your favorite method and separated into strands (cut in half length-wise, place in glass dish w/ 1/4" water, microwave for 12-15 minutes)
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
    3-5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp. basil
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
    1 Cup grated mozzarella cheese
    1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
    Serves 6-8
    Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix the cheese together, set aside.
    Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the onion, pepper and garlic. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, basil, and crushed red pepper (if using). Simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Mix squash well with the cooked vegetables and put half in the bottom of a large (13 x 9 inch) baking dish. Top with half the cheese mixture, followed by the other half of the squash mixture, then the rest of the cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.

(I found that the squash should be well cooked in the microwave before making it into a caserole in order for it to not be crunchy upon serving.)

Karen

• plsgrow
    18 years ago

I had to most delicious plate of Spaghetti Squash at The OpryLand Hotel in Nashville, TN over Christmas last year. It was seperated into the spaghetti like strands and the seasoning was mildly sweet, slightly nutty and scrumptious. Any secrets to obtaining recipes from the Chefs of large eateries? I did ask.

Thanks.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    18 years ago

I cook spaghetti squash in the microwave, as well. After cleaning the seeds from it, I separate the strands into "spaghetti" and toss them with pesto. A nice, lo-carb side dish. It's also good simply with a bit of butter, salt & pepper and some parmesean cheese.

seagrass

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Like LindaC, I like mine just cooked, shredded with a fork, add a little salt, pepper, butter and a sprinkling of grated parmesan. Yum.

Forgive me, Heidi, but I must disagree, I don't think it is "basically tasteless". That's tofu. LOL. It's squash and it tastes like squash, albeit a mild squash. I don't like spaghetti squash with tomato sauces. I like it for what it is and don't try to make it be pasta. I've never tried it with "sweet" before, like the gingered squash or the one with cinnamon and cranberries. However, since I like butternut with brown sugar and butter, I'll bet I'd like the spaghetti sauce lightly sweetened.

Annie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    18 years ago

One of the few vegetables that does really well in the microwave. I slice in half longways, scoop the seeds out, sprinkle the plate with water, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for about 6 minutes or until the squash easily forks into long strands. If it's not done, micro some more. It's very forgiving.

• roselin32
    18 years ago

I love it with browned butter, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    18 years ago

I don't even cut it before I cook it in the microwave - I just stab it here and there with a long metal BBQ skewer so it won't blow and cook it until it has a little bit of "give" to it, then let it rest for awhile and it continues to cook...

And I agree with Annie, it's a nice mild tasting squash...

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

I also like it with stir-fried vegetables like broccoli, carrots, onions, red peppers and mushrooms served on top of it.

• elvis
    17 years ago

I grew the 'Hasta la Pasta' spaghetti squash last summer, and it is wonderful. I'm keeping the squash at room temp in a dark closet, and they are still fresh. This particular form of the spaghetti squash is bright orange, very large (14-16" long), and sweet. Not as sweet as the butternuts, etc., but the sweetest spag squash we've ever had.

Despite the name, we don't treat it like pasta, either. I agree that micro-ing squash is a very effective way to cook it. Like seagrass, we remove the seeds after cooking. It's much easier than while it's raw...

• woodie
    17 years ago

Fun to see an old topic resurrected! I'm with Annie - butter, s&p and parmesan please. However, we do enjoy using it as a bed for Turkey Tetrazzini after Thanksgiving.

TURKEY TETRAZZINI WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH

1- 3 1/2 pound spaghetti squash
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 cups canned chicken broth or chicken stock
    1 bay leaf
    3 cups diced cooked turkey
    1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
    1 tablespoon Madeira or dry sherry
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    fresh lemon juice to taste
    freshly ground nutmeg to taste
    2 tablespoons buttered bread crumbs

Bake the spaghetti squash, pierced with a knife, on a baking sheet in a preheated 400* oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender and let cool. Halve the squash lengthwise, remove seeds and strings and scrape the flesh into a buttered 9 x 13 buttered baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.

In a saucepan, melt the butter, stir in the flour and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the broth, whisking vigorously until the mixture is smooth. Add the bay leaf and salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the turkey, cream and Madeira, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup of the Parmesan, lemon juice and nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Discard the bay leaf. Spoon the turkey mixture over the squash and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and buttered bread crumbs. Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown.
    Serves 4
    Best of Gourmet, 1990