Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pork Chops With Sweet and Sour Cider Glaze

Posted by woodie2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 15:48

I tried this recipe last night and it was a winner. As some of the reviewers also did, I used some Dijon mustard instead of mustard seeds - maybe about a tablespoon. I could eat the cider sauce with a spoon!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pork-Chops-with-Sweet-and-Sour-Cider-Glaze-104392

Pork Chops with Sweet-and-Sour Cider Glaze
Gourmet : December 2000
Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 25 min
Yield: Makes 2 servings

2 (1-inch-thick) pork rib chops (1 lb total)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup apple cider
1 1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds

Preparation
Pat pork chops dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saut chops until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
Stir together cider and brown sugar and add to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, turning chops once, until meat is almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Transfer chops to a plate.
Add vinegar and mustard seeds to sauce and boil, stirring to scrape up any brown bits, until reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes. Return chops with any juices on plate to skillet and simmer until meat is just cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pork Chops With Sweet and Sour Cider Glaze

That sounds good, Woodie. I love pork chops.

o

That sounds really good, Woodie! I never had pork chops before I'm putting it on the shopping list! What'd you serve with it?

o

YUM! I'm cutting and pasting to my "to try" list! Thanks!

o
Cider Glaze?

Did you buy fresh cider or use something bottled from the market?

o

Compumom, we have fresh cider cause we are in apple country.

Dishes - get out! You've never had a pork chop? That just amazes me :) I served cubed butternut squash roasted with rosemary and just a plain baked potato and of course you know that Ken had his salad (and so did I).

I'm sure you could just make the sauce by itself and use it over a pork tenderloin, if you'd like. But, I'm a pork chop lover here and its hard for me to think that somebody has never had one! Just FYI - I buy the center cut, loin chops (with a bone). You can also buy boneless but they can get to be very tough if you're not careful. I think this recipe would do well with a boneless chop, but boneless chops just needs a short cooking time - maybe 3-4 minutes a side, otherwise you'll get little hockey pucks.

o

Thanks Woodie! I have several packages of chops in my freezer and I'm always looking for ways to serve them. This sounds like something that would go over well here!

Thanks again

o

Woodie, that sounds great. I wonder how tht would work in a crock pot as my time standing in kitchen is limited for awhile.

thanks again for the recipe.

brenda

o

I've been hung up on a cider glaze that I buy at work. I'm going to try this recipe...it sounds great! May even throw an apple into the pan.

Thanks Woodie....I always like what you do.

Nancy

o

Brenda, I really don't know too much about crockpot cooking but I'd say hey why not?

Nancy, thank you for the kind words, I hope you like it and when I googled up recipes the other day for pork chops and cider I found plenty that called for apples, but I didn't have an apple in the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here