Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

RECIPE: Cranberry Walnut Tart

doucanoe
17 years ago

Thought I would share this. I made it for Thanksgiving and it was a major hit!

CRANBERRY WALNUT TART

Sweet pastry dough

3 large eggs

2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar

2/3 cup light corn syrup

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/4 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries (7 oz; thawed if frozen)

1 cup chopped walnuts (1/4 lb)

Special equipment: a 10- to 11-inch round tart pan (1 inch deep) with a removable bottom; pie weights or raw rice

Make shell:

Roll out dough into a 13-inch round (1/8 inch thick) on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin and fit into tart pan. Trim edge of dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, then fold overhang inward and press against side of pan to reinforce edge. Lightly prick bottom of shell all over with a fork, then chill 30 minutes.

Put oven rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 425°F. Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights.

Bake until pastry is set and pale golden on rim, about 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and weights and bake shell until pale golden all over, 5 to 10 minutes more. Transfer shell in pan to a rack.

Make filling:

Move oven rack to middle position and reduce oven temperature to 350°F.

Whisk together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth, then stir in cranberries and walnuts.

Pour filling into shell and bake tart until filling is set and golden, 40 to 45 minutes. (If pastry edge darkens before tart is done, cover edge with a pie shield or foil.) Cool completely in pan on rack.

Cooks' notes:

Tart can be baked 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.

Linda

Comments (5)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Sounds yummy and it's in my file!!
    Linda C

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Oh, I'm glad you posted this. I'd forgotten to ask you when I read it. Did you have a picture of it Linda? I've already stocked 4 bags of cranberries and want to get some more. Cranberry bars...the cranberry cake ...and now this tart! I could say Yummo, but I won't. ;-)

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I still have a slice leftover, Maureen. I will try to take a pic tonight and post tomorrow.

Linda

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    17 years ago

here you go, Maureen.

The slice in this photo is now history! (Breakfast) LOL

Linda

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Oh, that looks and sounds delicious, Linda. I may have to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing.