Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Fall Fruit Crumble

Posted by compumom (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 28, 08 at 14:41

This was a great dessert, the tartness of the cranberries balances the sweetness of the pears and apples.
I used Bartlett pears and Gala Apples, but you could use Braeburn or Ambrosia's too.

Fall Fruit Crumble
2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
2 firm-ripe pears such as Bartlett, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 apples such as Gala, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup sugar, divided
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened

Preheat oven to 425F with rack in middle.

Stir together fruits, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla and place in a buttered shallow 2-quart baking dish.

Stir together oats, flour, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture forms small clumps. Scatter over fruit and bake until juices are bubbling and topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Gourmet Magazine
November 2008
by Andrea Albin

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Fruit Crumble

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Fall Fruit Crumble

Ellen that reminds me of a very quick dessert one of my daughters makes from apples and oatmeal.

I would love to try the one you have posted.
Although we don't get cranberries here, we do get frozen boxes of wild berries and that would do nicely.

My daughter uses one of those apple corers to core and cut the washed apples within seconds.

MICHELLE'S APPLE COBBLER

Ingredients:
-------------
Several apples according to size of casserole dish, peeled or unpeeled, cored and cut into wedges.

When I made it I used 3 or 4 Granny Smith apples.

Topping:
-----------
Mix together with hands:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter - cut into above mixture with 2 knives
2 TBS butter to dot over fruit

Method:
------------
1) Preheat oven to 350F. Core and cut apples into wedges (peeled or unpeeled). I prefer peeled when there's time to do so.

2) Mix dry ingredients and roughly cut in 1/2 cup butter with 2 knives.

3) Put fruit in buttered casserole and spread mixture over, dotting the rest of the butter on top.

4) Bake 45 minutes or until bubbly and brown. Serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.

NOTE: My addition is 1 teasp cinnamon, 1/2 teasp nutmeg and 1/2 teasp allspice to the dry ingredients.

SharonCb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here