Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlsullivanct

LOOKING for: Cranberry Mold for Thanksgiving

tlsullivanct
18 years ago

Looking for an alternative to regular, out of the can cranberry for Thanksgiving. Ocean Spray used to make a nice Orange and Cranberry mold that came in a white, round plastic container. They discontinued about a year ago so I would like to make my own. I have a pretty copper mold that I can use.

Thanks!

Comments (33)

• danain
    18 years ago

This is the one we like. I know that alot of people don't like Jell-O but I still love it. It's a cool and refreshing treat to go along with the heavy, carb filled Thanksgiving dinner.

Cranberry Fruit Mold

1 (6 oz.) pkg. cranberry Jell-O (any red)
    2 cups boiling water
    1 (8 oz.) can jellied cranberry sauce
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (DonÂt leave out!)
    1 cup cold water
    1 cup apples; peeled and diced
    1 (15 oz.) can mandarin oranges; drained
    1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Dissolve Jell-O in 2 cups boiling water. Stir cranberry sauce and add to Jell-O along with cinnamon; stir until smooth. Add 1 cup cold water; chill until Jell-O just starts to mound. Fold in apples and oranges; pour into 6-cup mold (Teflon coated Bundt pan is great) or a pretty, clear bowl. Chill at least 3 hours. Un-mold: Dip mold in warm water, just to rim, for 10 seconds. Tip mold on side gently pull gelatin from edges. Top with wet plate, invert, shake gently. Remove mold. Or serve from bowl.

Marilyn

• tlsullivanct
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I know that alot of people don't like Jell-O but I still love it ...

You won't see any objections to Jell-O here! I was hoping someone would post a recipe that included Jell-O! Thanks!

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Tammy, here are a couple of my favourite Cranberry Sauces. These don't contain jello but they set up well without it. The first one is one that Linda posted and it is wonderful especially if you like horseradish. The second one is one that I have been making for years, from John Clancy's Christmas Cookbook 1982.

Cranberry Sauce with Horseradish.
    =================================
    . RE: LOOKING for: Some Great Fall Recipes
    Posted by: Lindac (My Page) on Thu, Sep 19, 02 at 11:00

It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without this one. I am asked for this
    recipe so often ....
    I firmly believe that a recipe should be credited, unless it's your own
    invention....so....
    To give credit where it is due, this came from Cooking Light...aboout 5
    years ago.
    Linda C
    12 oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 c. water
    3/4 c. white sugar
    1/2 c brown sugar
    Wash and pick over the berries, put water and sugars in sauce pan(
    large
    enough to prevent boil over) and bring to a boil, add berries and
    return to
    a boil, cook on medium for 15 to 20 minutes from the time it returns to
    a
    boil, stirring occasionally. Cool to luke warm and add 3 T. fresh
    (fresh is
    hotter!) horseradish and 1T Dijon mustard, stir, refrigerate and enjoy!

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Cranberry Relish
    ================

John Clancy's Christmas Cookbook 1982
    4 cups of Cranberries
    2 Cup Sugar
    2 cups water
    1 Tablespoon grated orange rind
    splash of Grand Marnier

Optional: 1 Cup English walnuts, well broken
    . Combined sugar and water in a sauce pan and stir over low heat until
    sugar dissolves. Add cranberries and cook until the skins start to
    pop. Remove from heat and add grated orange zest and Grand Marnier.
    Add nuts if using.

• tlsullivanct
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mmmm, sounds good too. I have 2 mold so I can try a couple of recipes.

Tammy

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

This would work in a mold:
    CRANBERRY SOUR CREAM SWIRL SALAD
    Two 3 oz pkg cherry or red raspberry gelatin
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    15 oz can crushed pineapple
    16 oz can whole cranberry sauce (break apart with a fork)
    1 cup (1/2 pint) sour cream

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Stir in undrained crushed pineapple & cranberry sauce. Chill until partially set. Spoon into an 8" square dish. Spoon sour cream on top & stir to swirl. Chill until firm. Cut into squares to serve.~~

This one's more work but definitely worth it & I notice you like the orange/cranberry combo:

CRANBERRY SALAD (serves 12)
    1 pint fresh cranberries
    1 cup sugar
    One 8 oz can pineapple chunks, undrained
    Orange or pineapple juice
    3 oz pkg cherry or raspberry Jello
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    4 oranges, peeled, seeded & chopped
    1 cup chopped pecans

Finely chop the cranberries. Add sugar. Refrigerate 1/2 hour. Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside. Add water or other additional orange or pineapple juice to reserved pineapple juice to equal 1 3/4 cups. Dissolve both gelatins in juice mixture in a medium saucepan over low heat. Pour into a greased 13x9x2" baking dish or gelatin mold. Refrigerate.
    When gelatin begins to set, add cranberries, pineapple, oranges & pecans. Refrigerate until congealed. Cut into squares or unmold & serve on crisp lettuce leaves. Garnish with mayo & paprika, if desired.~~

• woodie
    18 years ago

I have little to contribute to this thread, I'm just here for comic relief. I wouldn't consider using anything but a can of jellied cranberry sauce or my family wouldn't like me anymore. I have tried different recipes over the year and believe me, my family isn't interested.

I take the can of jellied cranberry sauce and slice it up and use mini-cookie cutters to cut them into cute shapes (little leaves and what-not). I put them on a pretty bright gold small platter that I have and it looks really pretty and voila, my family still likes me.

(I also make little butter turkeys using candy molds.)

• Virginia7074
    18 years ago

We've had this every Thanksgiving and Christmas for at least 50 years. My long-gone Aunt Fern is credited with it. I suppose you could use cranberry Jello, but Aunt Fern probably used raspberry because Jello hadn't come out with cranberry. I sometimes use sugar-free Jello, and you really don't need all of 2 cups of sugar, especially if you eat it with cottage cheese on the side. Don't be fooled by the orange rind; it's really good.

Cranberry Mold
    1 large package raspberry Jello
    2 cups water
    1 pound cranberries
    15 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
    2 oranges, unpeeled
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup chopped walnuts.

Use food processor to separately process cranberries, unpeeled oranges and walnuts until finely chopped. Add sugar. Add Jello to 1 cup boiling water; make up the remaining 1 cup of liquid with pineapple juice and water, or orange juice. Chill Jello until it just begins to set; then add remaining ingredients. Pour into mold, greased with just a little mayonnaise. Chill overnight, unmold and serve with cottage cheese.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Woodie, you got to keep your family happy.

Ann

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Woodie, your family and mine both. I make LindaC's Cranberry Jezebel for myself and Dad. Everyone else wants Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce. I hate the new cans, I used to just cut both ends out of the can and push the sauce out onto a plate to cut into slices. Now the darned stuff won't come out nicely because the bottom edge of the can is rounded and my slices aren't nice and neat. Blast those manufacturers anyway. LOL

I'm one of those people who will not eat Jello. It just feel too weird.

Annie

• woodie
    18 years ago

Annie, I remember what a ruckus those new cans created here last year, LOL! Makayla will probably enjoy helping UmmMa make little cutouts out of the cranberry slices, I would think.

• lindac
    18 years ago

Woodie......
    a bag of cranberrys, picked over ( that means any rocks or stams removed)
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups water
    pinch of salt
    put all in a pan and cook until the berrys are all popped about 15 or 20 minutes...cool so that a splash of the juice doesn't leave a blister and put it through a Foley food mill....or one of those cone shaped reamers....or press thought s coarse strainer....so you leave the skins and most of the seeds behind....
    Place in mold, or dish....chill and serve instead of that canned carp!
    Linda C

• tlsullivanct
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My parents (who don't like anything too fancy) are happy to have the stuff from the can. I like using the canned stuff when I'm in a pinch for leftover turkey sandwiches when we've run out of cranberry mold.

Virginia: You're recipe reminds me of my MIL's. I forgot to ask her for it before she went back to the city. She is no cook by any means. She makes a good eggplant parmesan and a nice cranberry mold but she cooks the living daylights out of a chicken or turkey. Can you say sawdust? The funny part is she knows she is a terrible cook and doesn't mind the fun we poke at her. She is 90 lbs. soaking wet and lives on fruit, bread, yogurt/cerael and sweets. She raised 4 kids too!

• annie1992
    18 years ago

LindaC, I don't know about Woodie, but that just wouldn't do at my house. It HAS to be the stuff from the can, and only Ocean Spray. It's required. It's tradition. IT CANNOT BE CHANGED. LOLOLOL

Woodie, I wonder if I can find a turkey cutter before Thanksgiving....

Annie

• lindac
    18 years ago

Annie.....what's a turkey cutter? A cookie cutter shaped like a cutter?\
    Linda C

• annie1992
    18 years ago

LOL, LindaC, a cookie cutter shaped like a turkey. (grin)

And everytime I look at this thread I think "moldy cranberries". LOL

Annie

• lostlkfarm
    18 years ago

Cranberry Mold
    1-2 packages ocean spray cranberries  fresh
    1 large package of strawberry jello
    1 large can crushed pineapple-drain and save juice
    Bunch of seedless grapes  white or purple
    3 bananas
    3 eating apples  core do not peel
    Optional  package of chopped walnuts  1 cup
    Mandarin oranges, 1 can drained and cut in half
    Directions

Make Jello with only 2 cups of water & all of saved pineapple juice.
    Set bowl in frig until mixture is thick soupy (approx 30 min) Â not set
    In Cuisinart chop the cranberries and dump in big bowl
    In Cuisinart chop up apples dump in bowl
    Chop grapes with knife  quartered or if small in half put in bowl
    Put in drained pineapple
    Taste and add sugar  max ½ cup
    Fold in jello
    Put in the bowl you are serving in
    Bananas halved or quarter day of serving so they donÂt turn brown
    Add Walnuts day of so that donÂt get mushy

• cece_
    18 years ago

HOLIDAY CRANBERRY SALAD

3- 3 ounce packages cherry-flavored gelatin
    1 C sugar
    2 C boiling water
    1 - 15 & 1/4 oz can crushed pineapple, undrained
    2 TBLS lemon Juice
    2 Cups fresh cranberries or jellied cranberries (I use jellied)
    1 Cup mandarin oranges, partially ground
    2 Cups finely chopped celery
    1 Cup walnuts or pecans ,chopped
    Lettuce leaves
    Sugar frosted cranberries
    Orange Twists (I have never troubled w/ last 3 ingre.)

Dissolve gelatin and sugar in boiling water.
    Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside.
    Add sufficient water to reserved pineapple juice to measure 1 cup.
    Stir in lemon juice.
    Stir juice mixtures into gelatin mixture;
    Chill until consistency of unbeaten egg white.
    Add cranberries, oranges, celery, and nuts of choice to gelatin mixture; mix well.
    Pour into lightly oiled/or Pam sprayed 10 -cup mold, or 13 x 9 dish.
    Chill until set.
    Unmold on bed of lettuce leaves.
    Garnish w/ frosted cranberries and orange twists. Yields 15 to 18 servings

Make this every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It came from Southern Living magazine.

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

All these recipes sound good and I think I've tried most at some time or another.
    For about the last 10 yrs. I've just made the fresh cranberry relish, chopping the fresh cranberries and oranges in the food processor and adding sugar to taste. Last year I also made a cranberry chutney also. It was very good. I have a jar waiting for this year.

We love jello salads though and I always make one for Thanksgiving, they are very refreshing. Haven't decided on one for this year yet, the last few years I've made one called 7-up salad, it's yummy.

Nancy

• roselin32
    18 years ago

I make the cranberry relish but use lemons instead of oranges. And I too have a son that loves the Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

This is a MUST HAVE at all our family feasts:

Snappy Fruit Mold
    (Jello Cookbook)

Makes: 4 cups

2 pkgs (3 oz each) Jell-o, any red flavor
    (I like Raspberry)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups boiling water
    16 oz. canned, jellied cranberry sauce (Ocean Spray)
    2 Tblsp. grated orange rind
    2 medium tart apples, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
    2/3 cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)

Dissolve Jell-o and salt in boiling water. Stir cranberry sauce with a fork until smooth. Add to Jell-o, along with the orange rind, blending well. Chill until thickened (not firm). Add apples and nuts. Pour into a 1 qt. mold. Chill until firm (overnight) .
    --------------------------------------

I would suggest that you double it for a group. Also, the original recipe was 1/2 this --- IÂve already doubled it!

• lilacsandviolets1_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Hi tl ! I have a few recipes you and/or others might be interested in.

Cranberry Conserve

1 lb. cranberries (fresh or frozen
    1 cup cold water
    1/2 cup seedless raisins
    1 orange (peeled & cut up)
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup walnuts

Put cranberries & cold water in pot; cook until cranberries begin to pop. Add remaining ingredients to cranberry mixture in pot. Place on fire and cook until jelly stage is reached (220 degrees F). Remove from fire and add walnuts.

Note: To be honest, I'm not sure how well this would fair in a mold. However, as this is my grandmother's recipe & I never watched her make it, I was at a disadvantage. Overcooking it will definitely make it thicker, so it may do well then in a mold. No guarantees, but it is delicious!

Also, if you're a southwestern-flavor enthusiast, this is good with very finely chopped jalapenos and/or chopped cilantro. I love it with just a little jalapeno (definitly remove seeds & membranes) and the cilantro!

Cranberry Jello Mold

1 lg box cherry jello
    1 cup boiling water
    1 can cranberry sauce (jellied or whole berry, your preference)
    1 pint sour cream

Mix jello and boiling water, stirring till jello is dissolved. Cool.
    Using wire whip, blend in cranberry sauce and sour cream.
    Pour into mold and chill.

Cranberry Nut Jello Salad

1 small box lemon jello
    1 lg box strawberry jello
    1 can whole-berry cranberry sauce
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (don't chop too large or too small)
    1/2 cup sliced celery
    1-2 chopped apples (depends on apple size)

Mix both boxes of jello together per box directions. Using wire whisk, mix in the cranberry sauce. Chill in refrigerator till partially set, then add remaining ingredients. (I wait to add the nuts, celery & apple, otherwise, they tend to all float to the top.)

Note: This is my other grandmother's recipe, and cranberry flavored jello wasn't available then, so she mixed the lemon with the strawberry. Yumm! Great substitute!

Hope these help! Leslie

• dmlove
    17 years ago

This one was posted earlier in this thread. My family's traditional variation on this is to leave out the orange rind and Grand Marnier, but put in, after the cranberries have cooled, 2 diced peeled applies and 2 diced peeled oranges, as well as the chopped walnuts (just regular walnuts, not "English walnuts"). We love it. (But Woodie, et al, "we" means me and my DH, we have to have Ocean Spray sliced jellied cranberry sauce, too, which is okay with me, becuase then there's more of this one left over!). This gets better with time, so I usually make it the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

John Clancy's Christmas Cookbook 1982
    4 cups of Cranberries
    2 Cup Sugar
    2 cups water
    1 Tablespoon grated orange rind
    splash of Grand Marnier

Optional: 1 Cup English walnuts, well broken
    . Combined sugar and water in a sauce pan and stir over low heat until
    sugar dissolves. Add cranberries and cook until the skins start to
    pop. Remove from heat and add grated orange zest and Grand Marnier.
    Add nuts if using.

• lilacsandviolets1
    17 years ago

LOL, dmlove! I agree, serve the canned stuff along with the homemade stuff! Everybody's happy! And good idea about preparing it a few days early, to allow the flavors to blend better. As well as having it done & out of the way! Leslie

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Like just about everybody, I grew up with Ocean Spray jellied cranberry sauce. Didn't like it as a kid, like it less now. I once did an informal survey of Thanksgiving guests, and, it turns out, nobody really liked it. But, by gar! it was tradition. So had to be on the table.

That was the last time it appeared on my table. Instead, after trying various home-made recipes, I settled on:

Gerri's Cranberry Conserve

In a large heavy saucepan combine 1 pound raw cranberries and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat and simmer the mixture 5-8 minutes or until the berries have popped and are tender. Stir in 3 cuups sugqar, 1 cup crushed pinapple, 1/2 cup sulttanas and 1 seedless orange, pith removed, and chopped fine, and simmer the mixturte, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I substitute pecans) and pour the conserve into sterilized canning jars. Adjust the lids and process in a boiling water bath 10 minutes.

Doubling the recipe makes about 7 pints, which I at least do because it's one of the holiday food gifts I make.

The recipe originally came out of Gourmet, many years ago, but I have no idea who Gerri is.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Garden lad...I'm saving that one!
    I really love cranberries....I make ( have made....didn't this year....yet!) a cranberry raspberry habanero stuff, the cranberry Jezabela cranberry bread ( which is labor intensive, because youa re supposed to cut each berry in half....no fair chopping!) and a cranberry steamed pudding....I wonder where that recipe is...
    Linda C

• roselin32
    17 years ago

Here's some more cranberry recipes you might be interested in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cranberry Relish

• jas67
    16 years ago

1 BAG CRANBERRIES
    1 LG. BOX RESPBERRY JELLO
    1 LG CAN FROZEN ORANGE JUICE
    1- 1 1/2 CUPS GRANULATED SUGAR

CHOP THE CRANBERRIES IN A FOOD PROCESSOR
    BEGIN TO MAKE THE RASPBERRY JELLO ACC. TO INSTRUCTIONS ON THE BOX
    ADD THE JELLO TO THE BOILING WATER
    MAKE SURE IT DISSOLVES COMPLETELY
    ADD THE SUGAR AND MIX WELL MAKING SURE THAT IT TOO DISSOLVES WELL.
    INSTEAD OF ANYMORE WATER ADD THE CAN OF OJ AND MIX WELL.
    ADD CRANBERRIES AND REFRIGERATE.

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

I have been making this delicious cranberry mold every Thanksgiving and Christmas since the late '70's. It is fabulous with turkey, ham or beef!

SPICED CRANBERRY RELISH MOLD

2 (3-oz each) raspberry jello
    1 cup boiling water
    2 cans (1 pound each) whole berry cranberry sauce
    1/2 cup FRESH lemon juice
    1/4 cup bottled horseradish
    1/8 tsp. salt.

Dissolve jello in boiling water. Add cranberry sauce and break it up with a wodden spoon. Stir until thoroughly combined. Stir in lemon juice, horseradish and salt. Pour into a 4-cup mold and chill until firm.

When ready to serve, unmold on to serving dish. Garnish with chicory and cranberries coated with egg white and sugar.

* The original recipe called for bottled red horseradish which I cannot always find. I usually just use white prepared horseradish.

• chery2
    16 years ago

These are all GREAT! I'm in charge of a "Tasting Party" at church next week. What's the best way to keep molded jello gelled once it's. . .you know. . . gellyfied with fruit and nuts suspended in it? Sometimes I use less liquid and/or add some plain gelatin. Is there a better way?

chery2

• liz91350_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I been trying to duplicate a jello mold receipe way back from 1964 when I first tried it and I can't seem to find it in any receipe files.I remember the first time I tried this mold it was made at a thanksgiving dinner made by my fosther mother.I have not been able to find this receipe.

• Janey - formerly jane2
    13 years ago

(Am I ever glad someone "bumps" this thread along periodically.)

For the non-cooks amongst this group, my simple recipe for Cranberry Relish, concocted in the early '80's - was to take a bag of cranberries and cook them until popped.
    (Read previous posts here, or in a cookbook, to find out the time duration required.)
    Then, instead of adding oranges, orange rind, sugar, nuts and/or Jello, I added a jar of orange marmalade.

The tartness of the cranberries may not be entirely overcome by the marmalade - you can either call this a "recipe product feature" or add some granulated sugar, stirred in well.

• CA Kate z9
    13 years ago

Elizabeth: I have a Jello recipe from the 60s that uses jello, canned cranberry sauce, apples, orange zest and nuts. Does this sound like it might be the one you're looking for?

• jude31
    13 years ago

Elizabeth, I have a recipe for Cranberry Jello Salad that uses fresh cranberries, and an entire orange(cut in quarters and seeds removed) chopped in the food processor, salt and sugar added and allowed to stand for 2 hours. Jello, celery, apple and nuts are combined and then the two mixtures combined. I'll be glad to post the recipe if you'd like, although the Christmas holiday is over.

I worked in a cafeteria part time when I was in high school in the late 40's, early 50's and this is a recipe much like one they served that I just loved.

jude