Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking for Mushroom Soup Recipe without milk or cream.

Posted by macthayer (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 1, 08 at 14:16

I was in a restaurant and had the MOST WONDERFUL mushroom soup. In fact, I spent the entire 'eating experience' trying to figure out what was in the soup. It did not taste like a 'cream' of mushroom soup, so if there was any milk or cream in it, it was a very small amount. I definitely picked up the flavor of a good chicken stock. But what was so wonderful was that the soup was absolutely infused with the flavor of mushrooms -- hard to describe -- but it just screamed "mushrooms". It was slightly thickened, but no more than that. Otherwise, it was fairly thin in consistency, sort of like a thick consomm, which is why I'm thinking it was built on chicken stock, with perhaps pureed mushrooms for flavor, and perhaps something else to heighten that flavor and to slightly thicken it a bit more. I have read that you can dry mushrooms, and then use a food processor to pulverize them to a powder and use that as a flavor rub or to thicken liquids, and I'm wondering if perhaps that's what they did here. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'd be so grateful, as I'm determined to recreate this wonder. (And yes, I did ask for the recipe, but was told they don't give them out!) MacThayer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for Mushroom Soup Recipe without milk or cre

I do something like that....
8 oz white button mushrooms
8 oz portobello mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion
1/8 pound butter ( half a stick)
3 T flour
1 quart chicken broth...home made is best
pint of milk...if if you don't want to use milk use another 2 cups chicken broth.
And a shot....about 3 tablespoonsful of dry sherry wine
Wipe the mushrooms and finely chop...very fine...the porto bellos and half the white, sautee along with the onions in the butter. When soft and they have given up most of their liquid, add the flour and stir and then whisk in half of the chicken broth....
Add the other half of the white mushrooms, sliced and the rest of the broth and the sherry, simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.

I like to use the 2 cups of milk and 2 oz of cream cheese ( about 1/4 of an 8 oz package), after the soup has simmered for 30 minutes....and heat just enough to melt the cream cheese into it. I then omit the extra 2 cups of broth.
Linda C

o

MUSHROOM CONSOMME (serves 8)
3 lbs mushrooms or mushroom stems (domestic and/or wild mushrooms), cleaned, trimmed & quartered
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed & quartered
5 lbs chicken scraps including backs, necks & gizzards but no livers
1 white onion, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled & coarsely chopped
1 rip celery, chopped
12 black peppercorns
1/4 tsp whole allspice berries
2 bay leaves
1/2 bunch fresh parsley, rinsed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
Aquavit or vodka, for garnish - optional

Combine all ingredients except aquavit in a large stock pot over low heat. Cover with 2 to 3 gallons cold water & slowly bring to a boil. Reduce the heat & simmer at least 6 hours, skimming frequently. The broth can simmer up to 24 hours. It should reduce by 1/2 & turn black.
Strain the broth, discarding the solids. Adjust the seasonings with additional salt or pepper to taste. Serve the consomme in a cup & splash each serving with aquavit or vodka if using.~~NY Cookbook

o

I do one similar to Lindac's and it's excellent. Serve with some brie toast made from No Knead Bread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here