Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macthayer

RECIPE: Looking for Mushroom Soup Recipe without milk or cream.

macthayer
15 years ago

I was in a restaurant and had the MOST WONDERFUL mushroom soup. In fact, I spent the entire 'eating experience' trying to figure out what was in the soup. It did not taste like a 'cream' of mushroom soup, so if there was any milk or cream in it, it was a very small amount. I definitely picked up the flavor of a good chicken stock. But what was so wonderful was that the soup was absolutely infused with the flavor of mushrooms -- hard to describe -- but it just screamed "mushrooms". It was slightly thickened, but no more than that. Otherwise, it was fairly thin in consistency, sort of like a thick consommé, which is why I'm thinking it was built on chicken stock, with perhaps pureed mushrooms for flavor, and perhaps something else to heighten that flavor and to slightly thicken it a bit more. I have read that you can dry mushrooms, and then use a food processor to pulverize them to a powder and use that as a flavor rub or to thicken liquids, and I'm wondering if perhaps that's what they did here. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'd be so grateful, as I'm determined to recreate this wonder. (And yes, I did ask for the recipe, but was told they don't give them out!) MacThayer

Comments (3)