Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

recipe: my secret ny cheesecake

eileenlaunonen
17 years ago

Ok im sharing..I consider it my secret recipe but im sure one of you do it the same way I dont even remember where i got this years ago.....This will yield (2) 9 inch cakes.....(8) 8oz Philly cream cheese room temperature,1/2 cup cornstarch,1-2/3 cups sugar plus another 1-2/3 cup sugar,2 tablespoons PURE Vanilla extract,4 Ex Large eggs,1-1/2 cups heavy cream. Beat 4 blocks cream cheese with 1-2/3 cup sugar blend well add the other 4 blocks and the rest of the sugar now add corstarch blend well Increase speed add vanilla and eggs 1 at a time Now add heavy cream...At this point only mix until blended do not overbeat. Bake in a 350 preheated oven for 1 hour 20 minutes....in a Bay Marie (a must!)

Comments (19)

• cloudy_christine
    17 years ago

Thanks, Eileen!
    Do you put this in a graham cracker crust, or bake it without a crust?

• ruthieg__tx
    17 years ago

s this a real NY style cheesecake...You know heavy that you almost have to chew...not the whipped, light as air, etc that is sometimes palmed off as cheesecake ...

• albertar
    17 years ago

Hi Eileen
    I'm guessing you use a springform pan for this, but do you grease the pan first?
    Alberta

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is a heavy creamy NY style that I bake in a springform pan with graham cracker crust I aslo do pecan crust an chocolate crust but i do use a crust...Theres no mistake with this cake it is NY all the way and caloried to the eyeballs..LOL

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This cake freezes beautifully if well wrapped. This recipe yields 2 cakes but do not bake them at the same time!!!!!!!!

• happygram
    17 years ago

What's a bay marie?
    I hate to sound so dumb (well, er, if the shoe fits,...) If it's essential this fabulous secret cheesecake has to be baked in one, I guess it's essential that I know what it is, right???

• lindac
    17 years ago

I believe she means a "bain mari"... a hot water bath. Translated literally as a "wife's bath".
    Linda C

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Bain-Marie (Mary's bath) refers to the method of placing a pan of food in another pan with water in it to stabilize the heat reaching the food (water bath). The term was originally used in alchemy, and was named after Moses's sister, who was an alchemist.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

happygram, a bain-marie is, as LindaC says, a water bath. Here is the explanation from Wikipedia:

"The bain-marie consists of a large container filled with a working liquid (usually water) and another, smaller container filled with the substance to be heated. The smaller container is partially immersed in the larger container, and the larger container is heated. The temperature of the working liquid cannot normally exceed the boiling point of that liquid at the ambient atmospheric pressure, and so the temperature of the inner container can be brought to a known limit and held there by bringing the outer working liquid to a boil. Convection in the working liquid of the outer container also improves the uniformity of heating in the inner container. When the working liquid is water and the bain-marie is used at sea level, the maximum temperature of the inner container will not exceed 100° Celsius (the boiling point of water at sea level). Other working liquids (oils, salt solutions, etc.) can be used to change this maximum temperature.

Culinary applications

Cheesecake is generally baked in a bain-marie to prevent the top from cracking in the center.
    Custard, for example, may be cooked in a bain-marie to prevent a crust from forming on the outside of the custard before the interior is cooked.
    Melting of chocolate for use in topping of various dishes
    Dehydration and thickening of condensed milk to make several milk-sweets
    Controlled-temperature bain-marie is recommended to lukewarm freeze-stored breast milk when timely breastfeeding is not possible, according to breastfeeding advocates."

I've found cheesecake recipes calling for a bain-marie also suggest that you apply foil to the outside of the cheesecake pan to avoid possible leakage before placing the springform pan into a larger pan (like a roaster, maybe) of water.

Eileen, thanks for the recipe, I think I'll try one for Christmas, several members of my family just LOVE cheesecake. Plus I could have a couple of different toppings and just let everyone add their own to their personal slice of cheesecake.

Is this the one that you scooped out and froze for the kid's party?

Annie

• msazadi
    17 years ago

Eileen, what is the reason not to bake them at the same time?

Are you suggesting freezing the unbaked one? or let it sit for the 1hr 20min it takes the first to bake?? This isn't making sense to me. Maureen

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry about the "bay marie"lol.......I tried one time to bake at the same time and they didnt set up well in the oven,also I tried 2 in the convection on seperate racks NO GOOD! I never attempted that again. I do mix the mixture all at once and cover and dont refrigerate the rest for the 1 -20 the other is baking I own 2 springforms so I dont have to wait to remove the other. Only freeze after cake is baked!

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OH YES MUST COVER THE EXTERIOR WITH FOIL>>>>this will not let the water enter the pan SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Thank you, Eileen, for that last tip, I was wondering if it was just a difference in spring form pans.

Annie

• happygram
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. I just might have to try this one.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Can this be halved successfully? It sounds wonderful, but I'm sure I don not need more than one of those in the hosue at a time! Not even in the freezer LOL!

Alexa

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Im sure it can although I never have due to the fact that i always freeze the second just to have one handy in a pinch

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Has anyone ever actually had a springform leak? Mine never do.

A friend of mine makes cheescakes for a living (as many as 200/day) and she doesn't wrap the molds in foil either.

I'm wondering if that isn't one of those "it sounds good so it must be right" sort of things???

• annie1992
    17 years ago

GL, one poster on Cooking had a springform pan leak just a couple of weeks ago. She turned the cake upside down, scraped off the soggy crust and made a new crumb crust in the pan, then tipped the cake back into the pan. It wasn't as pretty as it started out, but it worked.

So yes, springform pans do leak. Do the good ones not leak and the cheap ones do? I dunno.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaking springform pan

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ive had this happend I learned my lesson and just never take the chance anymore