Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl70ks

RECIPE: Looking for cornbread with sausage

flowergirl70ks
15 years ago

I had this many years ago in a small soup shop in Albany, Oregon. I have never been able to duplicate it. It had sausage, cheese and I think whole kernel corn. Do any of you have a similar recipe? The little restaurant was called the Soup Tureen.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    15 years ago

You can just make any basic recipe for cornbread....even a box of that Jiffy mix, and stir in about 1/2 cup of drained canned corn about 1/2 cup of grated cheese and about 1/2 cup of cooked sausage welld rained and crumbled.
    Bake as usual....andw ith a bowl of tomato soup, it;'s a meal!
    Linda C

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

This recipe sounds good. I love corn in cornbread and I'd go for the jalapenos too, but you could leave them out of you don't want the heat.

Cornbread Sausage Casserole
    Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
    1 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
    1 (16 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
    1 (15 ounce) can cream style corn
    5 fluid ounces water
    1 medium onion, diced
    4 fresh jalapeno peppers, diced
    1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
    2. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and set aside.
    3. In a medium bowl, mix corn bread mix, cream style corn and water.
    4. Cover the bottom of the prepared baking dish with about 1/2 inch of the corn bread mixture. Layer mixture with sausage, followed by onion and jalapeno. Cover with cheese. Top with remaining corn bread mixture, using only as much as will fit in the baking dish.
    5. Cook 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Mine calls for ground beef but sausage should substitute:
    CATTLE RUSTLER CORNBREAD
    1/2 lb ground beef
    1 cup + 1 TBL cornmeal, divided
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 cup milk
    One 17 oz can cream style corn
    2 eggs, well-beaten
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 cups shredded Colby cheese
    1 large onion, chopped
    2-4 jalapeno peppers, seeded & chopped, OPTIONAL

Preheat oven to 350°. In a 10" cast iron skillet, brown & crumbe the beef; drain. Remove from pan & set aside. While skillet still has some beef drippings in it, lightly dust the bottom of the pan with 1 TBL cornmeal. Combine 1 cup cornmeal, salt & baking soda; add milk, creamed corn, eggs & vegetable oil & mix well. Pour 1/2 of batter into skillet. Sprinkle w/shredded cheese, chopped onion, beef & jalapeno peppers, if using; top with remaining batter. Bake 50-60 minutes. Cool & cut for serving.~~Cafe Oklahoma

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll give all these a try and let you know how they came out. Could I sub the oil for sour cream?

• caliloo
    15 years ago

This isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it has some of the same ingredients and is excellent so I thought you might be interested in trying this one too...

It is a Paula Deen recipe

Piggy Pudding
    14 to 16 link pork sausages
    2 large or 4 small apples (Yellow Delicious or Granny Smith); peel, core and slice
    1 (8 1/2 oz.) package yellow cornbread mix
    Ingredients to prepare cornbread mix
    Sage to garnish and maple syrup for serving

Preheat oven to 400°. Cut sausage links into bite-size pieces and pierce with a fork to let the fat out as they cook. Brown sausage links in a skillet until no longer pink; drain well on paper towels and lay in a single layer in the bottom of an 8-inch baking dish. Arrange apples on top of sausages. Prepare cornbread according to directions on the box and pour over all. Sprinkle with finely minced sage for garnish. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until cornbread is golden and cooked through. Serve warm with maple syrup.
    *Recipe from Paula Deen. Her recipe called for an oven temperature of 450° and bake 30 minutes in an ungreased pan (cornbread was getting too brown on top and still soggy in the middle). She also left the sausages whole and used tart apples such as Granny Smith. Garnished with sage after baking.
    Marilyn

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

I think I might try the Piggy Pudding with browned bulk sausage instead of the links. I think I'll make it for breakfast on Friday after Thanksgiving. Thanks for posting that, Marilyn. (copying and pasting!)

seagrass

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Hey Seagrass!

You will NOT be disappointed! I *think* I may have doubled the Cornbread Mix (2 boxes) just because I wanted a little more cornbread to sausage/apple ratio. Also, Marilyn was the first one to post it and I forgot to remove her name (or add mine to the end) so yes, Marilyn gets the kudos for posting it originally :-)

Alexa

• flowergirl70ks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

teresa nc--What size baking pan do you use? Your recipe just says medium size pan??

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I would think an 8" x 8" or 9" x 9" square baking pan or a casserole dish of similar size. You could use a large 10" cast iron skillet if you have one.

Teresa

• bobo101
    14 years ago

Sausage Cornbread

1 pound crumbled, browned sausage
    1 chopped onion (brown with the sausage)
    2 eggs
    1 package sweetner (or can use a teaspoon sugar)
    1 1/2 cup cornmeal
    1 large can creamed style corn
    3/4 cup buttermilk
    1/4 cup oil
    8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
    Heat iron skillet with about a tablespoon bacon grease in 350 degree oven until very hot. Mix meal, eggs, milk, oil, and corn. Pour 1/2 the mixture in hot pan, put cooked sausage/onion on top, then add other 1/2 of cornmeal mixture. Bake about 1 hour, depending on how fast oven cooks. (My oven is self-cleaning and seems to get hotter than usual, so I have to watch how long things cook).

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz