Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzie_gw

LOOKING for: Healthy Muffin Base....

jazzie
16 years ago

I am looking for a healthy muffin recipe that I can just add what I want.. Like if I want it to be punpkin, I can add pumpking, and spices. If I want to make zuchinni, I just add zuchinni and spices...

I don't want a bran muffin recipie.... Those are a dime a dozen... (I will be adding flax myself to any recipe I make...)

The key is, I need the base to be VERY heart healthy....

Comments (2)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Oat bran muffins
    2 cups oat bran
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt ( optional)
    1 cup skim milk
    2 egg whites ( or 1/4 cup egg beaters)
    1/4 cup honey or molasses
    2 tsps baking powder
    2 tsps veggie oil
    And 1/2 cup of chopped apple, mashed banana, grated carrots, crushed pineapple....or whatever.

Fill a dozen greased muffin cups and bake at 425 for 15 to 18 minutes.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

This has no bran & is from Recipelink.com:

Sarah's Do-It-Yourself Muffins
    Sarah's Do It Your Own Way Muffins

This is my favorite low-fat muffin recipe from my book, THE HEALTHY OVEN BAKING BOOK, Doubleday, 1999. It is available from tkl (amazon.com) and is loaded with low-fat and fat-reduced recipes.

For this recipe, I calculated the WW points for you.

Mix in blueberries,raspberries,cranberries... whatever is in season. Just do it your way! NUTRITIONAL
    INFORMATION:

Calories: 176
    Carbs: 35
    Fat: 3 grams
    Protein: 3 grams
    Fiber: 2 - 3 grams
    WW POINTS: 3 - 4

INGREDIENTS:
    Nonstick canola oil spray
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (spoon into a measuring cup and level top)
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 grated tsp fresh nutmeg
    1/8 tsp salt
    3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
    3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2/3 packed cup dark brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 cup raisinss PREPARATION:
    1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly spray twelve 2 ¾ by 1 ½ inch nonstick muffin cups with oil.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined. Set aside.

3. In another medium bowl, using a handheld electric mixer set at high speed, beat the buttermilk, applesauce, brown sugar, egg, oil, and vanilla until frothy, about two minutes. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Using a spoon, mix just until moistened. Gently fold in the raisins until the flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.

4. Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Bake until the tops spring back when pressed gently in the center, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool in the pan on a wire cake rim for 10 minutes before removing from cups. Serve warm or cool.

SUBSTITUTIONS:
    Berry Muffins: substitute 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (do not thaw) blueberries or raspberries for the raisins.

Chocolate Chip Muffins: Omit the raisins; add 1/4 cup mini-chocolate chips.

Cranberry-Pumpkin Muffins: Subsitute 1/2 cup solid pack pumpkin for 1/2 cup of the applesauce and 1/2 cup fresh or frozen (do not thaw) cranberries for the raisins.

Winter Fruit Muffins: Substitute 1/2 cup prune baby food for 1/2 cup of the applesauce and 1/2 cup dried currants for the raisins.

Nut Muffins: Omit the raisins; sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans over the tops of the muffins and press gently into the batter before baking. Source: The Healthy Oven Baking Book By Sarah Phillips

MSG URL: http://www.recipelink.com/msgid/28917