Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlingardener

LOOKING for: pork stew

marlingardener
15 years ago

We were recently presented with a hog. Fortunately, it was dead, headless and had been semi-butchered. I managed to get the tenderloins, hams, pork steaks and chops off, but now have little bits and pieces of meat that I hate to waste. Does anyone have a good recipe for stew, using pork? I really am not up to making sausage, and don't think the amount of my bits and pieces would warrant the effort.

I have found that pigs are no better looking dead than when they are alive . . . .

Comments (8)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I don't have a recipe....but...
    I would cut the bits and pieces in flour and brown in a cry little bit of oil....and add liquid....maybe beer...maybe apple juice or cider or perhaps chicken broth and a couple of chinked up onions. Cover and simmer until approaching tender....then add a couple of sage leaves (whole so you can pick them out) and cubes of butternuts quash. Cook until the onion and thes quash are done....seasona nd thicken the gravy.
    You could also add potatoes with the squash.
    Linda C

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

This is my favorite pork stew recipe:

Huron County Pork Stew

2 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder
    All-purpose flour, for dredging
    4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
    12 small white onions, peeled
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
    1/2 cup diced celery
    4 Granny Smith apples (peeled and cored), diced
    1-1/2 pounds russet potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 cup apple cider
    1 cup chicken stock
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Trim the pork of excess fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and dredge the pork cubes in the flour. Spread the pork cubes out on a board to allow flour to dry while you render the bacon.

Place bacon in a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan over medium heat and saute until it begins to render its fat. Brown all the pork cubes on all sides, a few at a time. Remove pork from the pan and reserve. Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon fat.

Place the onions, garlic, carrots and celery in the pan and saute until the onions are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Return the pork to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer, loosely covered, for 1 hour or until the pork is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Serve with hot cornbread or biscuits.

Note: If you prefer a thicker sauce, whisk 1/2 cup of the sauce together with 1 or 2 tablespoons flour.
    Stir this mixture back into the Dutch oven and cook for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and the flour is cooked.

Serves 6
    Source: John Hadamuscin's Enchanted Evenings

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Pork and Green Bean Stew!

I have no set recipe, but lightly brown your pork chunks along with some garlic, add some beef or chicken stock, a chopped onion, and simmer until tender. Salt if you like.

When almost tender, add some fresh green beans and cubed white potaotes. Continue simmering until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Taste the broth, and adjust salt and pepper.

When serving, add plently of black pepper and a dash of red wine vinegar. It sounds odd, but it is so good. And it is low fat too.

You can also do this in a pressure cooker to save some time and use canned or frozen beans.

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! After reading these recipes, I almost wish I had more bits and pieces of that hog. I'll try them all and I even printed out extra for the hog's donor. Thank you, good cooks!

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Here's another for you:

LOON CAFÃ'S DIRTY PORK STEW

2 lb. lean pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1/4 cup oil
    1 medium onion, diced large
    3 (4-oz.) cans diced green chiles
    1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
    2 fresh jalapeño peppers, minced
    10 cloves garlic, minced
    1 (12 oz.) bottle of beer
    2 Tblsp. ground cumin
    1 Tblsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 Tblsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    3 dashes hot pepper sauce
    1 Tblsp. chicken base or 4 chicken bouillon cubes
    1 Tblsp. beef base or 4 beef bouillon cubes
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1 cup sliced green onions, whites and greens
    In a large Dutch oven or heavy stew pot, brown pork in the oil until it is well-browned and cooked through. Combine the onion, chiles, tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic, beer, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, chicken base, beef base, onion powder, and green onions; add to the browned pork, add just enough water to cover if needed. Cook at a low simmer for about 1-1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. Serves 6.

• marlingardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pat,
    Another great recipe, and my husband will love a stew that contains beer! Thanks for sharing.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

HOw about a tex-mex pork dish? YOu can serve it over floured tortillas stuffed with cheese and onions

or with corn or flour tortillas on the side.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Pork Chile Verde
    ================
    1 to 2 tablespoons oil
    1 cup coarsely chopped onions
    1 to 2 pounds lean pork cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1 to 2 tablespoons flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 cans roasted chili peppers
    1 can/bottle of Tomatillos
    chicken broth
    cilantro

Heat oil in heavy pot. Toss pork with flour, and brown. When all the meat has been browned, add the onions and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add the cumin, the chili peppers, and the tomatillo sauce. Add some chicken broth. Simmer until meat is tender. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Serve with flour or corn tortillas and sides of beans, guacamole, salsa, cheese,etc..

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

Teresa: I have made the Huron County Pork Stew many times, and we love it. I don't remember where I originally got the recipe, but it was simply called Cider Pork Stew. When cider is out of season here, I use a can of the apple juice concentrate (undiluted) instead. I use the kind on the grocery shelf, not frozen. In fact, I prefer it to cider.

The fresh herbs are very nice in this recipe, and I am always looking for ways to use my fresh sage, especially this time of year.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida