Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackiwolfe

RECIPE: Moist Chocolate Cake

jackiwolfe
17 years ago

I wanted to share with you guys my favorite cake recipe. The secret to this cake is coffee! It makes the cake very moist(hence the name) without adding anything but a very subtle coffee undertone to the taste, not enough to deter a non-coffee drinker like me. This cake is so good!

Moist Chocolate Cake

2 c. flour

1 t. baking powder

2 t. baking soda

¾ c. unsweetened cocoa

2 c. sugar

1 c. vegetable oil

1 c. hot coffee

1 c. milk

2 eggs

1 t. vanilla extract

Sift together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add oil, coffee and milk; mix at medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla; beat 2 more minutes. Batter will be thin. Pour into two greased and floured 9" round cake pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool cakes 15 minutes in pan, then remove to wire rack.

Icing

1 c. milk

5 T. flour

½ cup butter, softened

½ c. shortening (Crisco)

1 cup sugar

1 t. vanilla extract

Combine milk and flour in saucepan, cook until thick. Cover and refrigerate. In a mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until creamy. Add chilled milk/flour mixture and beat for 10 minutes. Frost bottom cake layer, then add top layer. Frost sides, then top. Decorate with sprinkles or as desired.

This icing has a tendency to look terrible at first, but just keep beating it for the whole 10 minutes. It should be light and fluffy after that time.

I just made this cake for a friend's birthday, so if you wander over to my food blog you can see a picture

Here is a link that might be useful: Cake Picture

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County