Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_adams8725

LOOKING for: fast fast fast and healthy, please!

Molly Adams
16 years ago

i do not cook. i can, but i detest it. there are so many things i would rather be doing! i am looking for grab it and eat it ideas for my guy and i. healthy, less processed and quick! no hamburger helper type stuff. my guy cooks 3-4 nights a week, but i need to do some meals also. i always make the salad, but i need more than that for a meal, although i do sometimes add leftover cooked chicken to the salad (that HE cooked, lol) and call it a meal. i am willing to turn on the stove if i must, but i am happy with a bowl of cereal rather than cooking(he's not!). i have lost 30 lbs over the last couple of years, and hope to lose 20 more. thank you thank you thank you in advance! mja in ri -- ps i cross posted on cooking forum--will i be banned forever? yikes...

Comments (3)

• woodie
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, heck I won't ban you for a minute never mind for life! I just posted to your other request, LOL, and I seem to be on a roll so I'll keep on posting over here with some chicken recipes :)

Easy Baked Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    Salt
    Ground pepper
    Garlic powder
    4 T. mayonnaise
    4 T. fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
    1 c. fresh coarse bread crumbs (or packaged, or panko)
    Chopped parsley

1. Season chicken lightly with salt, pepper.
    2. Combine mayonnaise, garlic powder and cheese.
    3. Put chicken in baking dish and cover with the mixture.
    5. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and top with parsley.

Bake at 400 until juices run clear (about 15-20 minutes)

Crispy Chicken Cutlets with Basil-Parsley Sauce
    Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 18 minutes
    Cook Time: 15 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings

2 pounds chicken cutlets
    Salt and pepper
    3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup Italian bread crumbs
    1/3 to 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano, a couple of handfuls
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
    1 clove garlic
    1 (3-ounce) jar pine nuts (pignoli)
    1 lemon, zested
    2 eggs, beaten
    Olive oil, for shallow frying

Basil- Parsley Sauce:

1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
    1/2 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
    1 Roma or plum tomato, seeded and finely chopped, for garnish

Season the cutlets with salt and pepper on both sides turn lightly in flour.

Combine next 7 ingredients in food processor and pulse-process the crumbs to chop the spices, garlic and nuts and evenly distribute the flavors throughout the crumb and cheese mixture. Transfer the mixture to a plate.

Beat eggs in a separate shallow dish.

Heat a thin layer of oil in a large skillet, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan, over medium to medium high heat. Coat the cutlets in eggs then breading and add to the hot oil. Cook cutlets in a single layer, in 2 batches if necessary, about 3 or 4 minutes on each side, until cutlets' juices run clear and breading is evenly browned.

Return food processor bowl to base and add basil, parsley and lemon juice. Add a little salt and pepper. Turn processor on and stream in oil until a loose paste forms.

Serve chicken cutlets with a generous amount of basil and parsley sauce poured over the cutlets. Garnish the chicken with finely chopped Roma tomato.
    (NOTE FROM WOODIE - IF THE CUTLETS SEEM TOO BOTHERSOME, JUST SERVE THE SAUCE OVER ANY PLAIN CUTLET - BAKED, BROILED OR SAUTEED.)

CHICKEN SAVOY

2 1/2- to 3-pound chicken, cut into 6 pieces (two drumsticks, two thighs, two breasts with wings)
    2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    6 to 8 teaspoons grated Locatelli or other Pecorino Romano cheese
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar (preferably 7% acidity)

In a 10 1/2-inch cast iron skillet or other heavy, oven-proof pan, arrange the chicken pieces skin side down and so that they do not touch each other.

Sprinkle the chicken with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and grated cheese, in that order.

Place chicken in a preheated 500-degree oven for 35 minutes.
    Remove from oven and pour on all the vinegar at once. It should sizzle.
    Return the chicken to the oven for another minute or so.
    Arrange chicken on a platter and pour on the sauce created by the vinegar.
    Serve immediately.

(Woodie's Note: I don't really use 500 degrees because my smoke alarm will go off, so I usually do 450 for 40-45 minutes, depends on which chicken pieces I'm using - we like dark meat the best. I also think that I use more vinegar, I don't measure, just pour it on, and I use any kind of vinegar, balsamic or red wine, doesn't really matter.)

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    16 years ago

if anyone else is interested, there's a bunch of replies over on the cooking site. thanks!

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Here are some easy, fast, and pretty healthy recipes:

Greek Lemon Garlic Chicken 9x13 pan oven at 400 serves 4

3 lb. chicken pieces
    3 TB fresh lemon juice
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    1 TB dried oregano, crumbled
    salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Remove skin from chicken. Arrange chicken pieces in pan. Sprinkle both sides with lemon juice, garlic, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
    Bake 45 minutes until tender and cooked through.

Claremont Salad keeps 1 week refrigerated

3/4head of cabbage shredded 2 TB sugar
    1 small onion, sliced 3 TB vinegar
    1 green bell pepper, sliced 2 TB salad oil
    1 carrot, grated or 1 pkg. grated 1 TB water
    1 cucumber, sliced 1 t salt, fresh ground black pepper

Mix all the vegetables together in a big bowl. Put dressing in jar and shake very well. Pour over the vegetables. Leave vegetables and dressing at room temperature for 2 hours, then put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.

Oven Roasted Potatoes from PenzyÂs  serves 4-6 425 oven 9x13 pan

2 lb. red bliss potatoes
    2 TB olive oil
    1-2 t salt
    1 1/2t bouquet garni
    1 1/2t black pepper
    1/4t granulated garlic
    Wash and halve potatoes (quarter large ones). In a big bowl, place potatoes; drizzle oil over, toss. Sprinkle with salt, crumbled herbs, pepper, and garlic. Toss again. Spray a 9x13 pan with Pam. Add potatoes. Place in 425 oven for one hour, 15 min. Turn every 15 minutes.

Vegetable Burger Soup

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 16oz can diced tomatoes
    1 16oz can tomato sauce
    1 16oz package frozen mixed vegetables
    1 package dried onion soup mix
    2 TB sugar
    4 cups water
    potato  1 or 2 diced

Brown beef, drain. Put cooked beef and rest of ingredients in a large soup pot and simmer for an hour or so or put in crock pot to cook on low all day.