Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

LOOKING for: Please: Need the overnite blueberry french toast

glenda_al
17 years ago

Planning on Thanksgiving brunch and think the blueberry french toast will be a hit.

So if someone will post it, will appreciate.

Comments (9)

• Tracey_OH
    17 years ago

Here are two different ones:

Simpler Times French Toast (David - Lakeguy)

Chef & Innkeeper Cindy Belford, Simpler Times Inn, Grand Lake O'the Cherokees

8 cups sweet French bread in 1" cubes
    5 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    3 cups milk or Half & Half
    3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 cup brown sugar

Put bread in large bowl. Whip eggs, sugar and nutmeg until light in color and thick. Add milk, stir and pour over bread. Cover and place in fridge overnight.

In the morning, mix 1 cup blueberries into bread and put in greased pan; sprinkle balance of blueberries on top, then pecans. In pan, melt butter and brown sugar until bubbly. Pour mixture over blueberries and pecans.

Bake at 325 degrees for one hour or until puffed. Serve hot with syrup.
    Blueberry Cream Cheese strata
    12 slices day old bread
    2 (8oz) packs cream cheese
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    12 eggs
    2 cups milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1 cup white sugar
    2 T cornstarch
    1 cup water
    1 cup fresh blueberries
    1 T butter

1. Cut bread into 1 in cubes, place half into a greased 9 X 13 baking dish. Cut cream cheese into 1 in cubes and place over bread. Top with blueberries and remaining bread cubes.
    2. Beat eggs in large bowl, add milk, vanilla and syrup. Mix well and pour over bread. Cover and refridgerate overnight. Remove from fridge 1/2 hr before baking.
    3. Cover and bake for 30 min. in preheated 350 oven. Remove cover and bake for 25-30 min or until center is set.
    4. prepare sauce in a saucepan by combining the sugar and cornstarch. Add water and bring to a boil over med. heat. Stir constantly and boil for 3-4 min. Stir in blueberries and reduce heat. Cook for 10 min or until blueberries pop. Stir in butter and pour over french toast.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks very much!

• jenel
    17 years ago

I tried the blueberry cream cheese strata for an office potluck, and it was a BIG hit! It is an excellent meal for guests because you make it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning. Instead of sliced bread, I cubed one loaf of French bread. This recipe is a keeper! Thanks for sharing.

• terri_ks
    17 years ago

I tried the Simplier Times today and brought to a womens get together. I am back here printing copys because everyone requested it! Thanks

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

I'm bumping this up because these recipes sound so good. Thinking of either of them for Christmas morning. What would you serve with them besides hot coffee? Are they too rich for bacon or sausage?
    Thanks,
    Jane

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

I would serve Peameal bacon ( Canadian bacon ) if you can find it. If not sausages would be a great choice. Regular bacon doesn't do it for me with these dishes, but its all a matter of personal taste.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

terri_ks,

What's the consistency of the bread after its been baked? Is it mushy from being in the fridge all night sitting in the liquid mixture? If it is mushy, perhaps I could mix it up in the morning?

Sound good, except DD doesn't like mushy french toast.

Thanks for posting.

• ponderinstuff
    17 years ago

Please let us know about texture! Sounds delicious.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    16 years ago

interested in texture as well