Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karan_in_oregon

LOOKING for: Joy of Cooking Potato yeast bread recipe

Renter
12 years ago

Hi,

I used to make a sweet bread yeast dough with potatoes from Joy of Cooking. I have tried others but they are never as good.

Any help is appreciated.

Have a good day.

Comments (5)

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

My 1967 edition of Joy did not have a yeast bread recipe with potatoes in it. But this yeast bread recipe is slightly sweet and does contain fresh mashed potato. You could use the dough for other bread forms, but Moravian Sugar Cake is to die for if you've never tried it!

Moravian Sugar Cake

1 1/2 cups boiling water or potato water (the remaining water used to cook potatoes for mashed potatoes)
    3/4 cup butter or shortening
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 t. salt
    2 pkgs. yeast or 2 scant TB bulk instant yeast
    1 cup plain cooked potatoes, mashed
    2 eggs beaten
    6-7 cups flour

Combine 2 cups flour and the yeast in a large bowl. Combine sugar, salt, butter, potatoes, potato water in saucepan used to cook the potatoes. Warm over low heat to melt the butter. Add to flour/yeast mixture and beat well. Add in beaten eggs and mix until smooth (can use an electric mixer). Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, turn dough over to have oiled surface on top. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.

Press into greased pans (some use 7"-9" foil pie pans) about 1/4" to 1/2" thick. When well risen, using your finger or the handle end of a wooden spoon, punch holes in the dough about 1-inch apart. Fill holes with: 1 lb. light brown sugar, 2 sticks butter and a little water that has been heated in a saucepan.

Bake cakes at 350 for about 20 minutes. Do not overbake.

Yields: about 7 cakes in pie pans

• annainpa
    12 years ago

Wondering if the Buttermilk Potato Bread in the 1997 edition could possibly be what you are looking for? Does have sugar in the recipe, though not lots, and calls for poppy seeds brushed on the top. Please let me know if you want me to post it. It produces two loaves as opposed to rolls, so not sure if this is what you are seeking.

• Renter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Teresa and Annainpa,
    thank you both for the help.
    It was in an older paperbound book.
    It was a variation on a cinnamon roll recipe - I think - that is what I used it for, and also made rolls. Everyone liked it and I have never been able to make any that were that good. The potatoes were mashed is about all I remember. The Moravian Cake sounds close so I will try it.
    Thank you both so much,
    Karan

• dawnp
    12 years ago

I just searched through my Joy of Cooking (1984).

The buttermilk-potato recipe that AnninPa mentioned is the base for another recipe in the book - Kneaded Filled Coffee Cake except that you add extra sugar. This may be your recipe.

Buttermilk-Potato Rolls

Prepare:
    3/4 cup riced freshly cooked potatoes
    While Still hot mix with
    1/2 cup butter
    Heat 2 cups buttermilk to 105 to 115 degrees
    Sprinkle 1 pkg active dry yeast and 2 T sugar into 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. Let stand for 3 to 5 mins. Add the remaining buttermilk and mix with the potatoes. Beat until light and stir in 2 eggs and 1 tsp salt.
    Sift before measuring 7 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    Stir in 6 cups of the flour. Knead in the rest. Place the dough in a greased bowl and turn over so that it is lightly greased on all sides. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down. Shape and let rise(cloverleaf rolls). Glaze with egg wash. Bake in a 425 degress oven for 15 -18 mins.

Kneaded Filled Coffee Cake Dough:
    Prepare dough for Buttermilk-Potato Rolls adding an additional 1/4 cup sugar.

I think it might be worth a try - sounds yummy.

• theplasticjones
    4 years ago

I'm making clover-leaf rolls (pg. 751, Joy 1997), from this recipe. I assume because that recipe makes two loaves, it will produce 24 dinner rolls. With 6 1/2 cups of flour and 4 tsp yeast, it certainly seems so.