Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking for Sue's Siu Mai recipe

Posted by blizlady (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 28, 09 at 11:44

Several of the threads refer to sue's siu mai recipe and how great it is. I have tried a search on all forums and cannot seem to find it. I'm sure it's there, but maybe I am not putting enough info into my search request. Can anyone please share the recipe? I am planning to serve this and the spanikopita over the holidays. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for Sue's Siu Mai recipe

Maybe this is it, link below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Shu Mai

o

Thanks woodie2!! Those look wonderful and I can't wait to try them!

o

Those were good, however the shu mai recipe is different.
I'll post later.

Sue

o

This is my version of steamed dumplings/shu mai that Sharons was talking about.

I am not a big fan of the doughy outer of a steamed dumpling but love the filling, so this is the best of both worlds...the great flavor of the steamed-dumpling filling with a shu mai presentation.

I prefer to use round wrappers as they freeze better. You can either make these open-faced (fill like a cup) or fill them off center and fold over like a half-moon ravioli.

Be sure to make the dipping sauce, it enhances the flavor of the dumplings. Also veal can be used in place of chicken or can be made of all pork.

Don't be put off by the length of the recipe. This really isn't difficult at all.

SUE'S SHU MAI Makes 100+ (easily halved)

Dipping Sauce
1/4 Cup Seasoned rice vinegar, Kikkoman is good
1/4 Cup Low Sodium soy sauce
1/4 Cup water
1 Large Garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon Ginger, minced (optional)
1 teaspoon sliced green onion

Wonton Filling
2 Packages won-ton wrappers
1 pound pork loin, ground
1 pound chicken breast, ground
10 green onions, chopped fine
4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
4 Tablespoons Soy sauce, low sodium
4 Tablespoons sesame oil
5 Cups Napa lettuce, chopped fine
6 cloves garlic, minced

For dipping sauce, mix all ingredients and refrigerate (Can make up to 3 days prior to serving)

For dumplings

If wontons skins are frozen, defrost them on the counter for 30 minutes (don't unseal the package yet).

Remove wrapper and cover wontons with a damp towel (this prevents them from drying out).

In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine meat, green onions, cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Napa lettuce

Working one at a time, gently peel off a wonton wrapper (cover the rest with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out), and place in the palm of your hand
Fill with 1.5 to 2 T of filling forming a tight cup with your fingers.
Gently tap the wonton on the table to flatten bottom.

Place on a jelly roll pan

When all wontons are stuffed, freeze, uncovered, on a cookie sheet for 8 hours or overnight.
(This prevents them from sticking together).

Remove from pan and store in plastic bags and freeze until ready to use, but no longer than 1.5 months.

When ready to cook, line a baboo steamer, or any other type of steamer, with white paper towel.

Bring water to boil and steam dumplings over high heat, covered, for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.

Serve with dipping sauce.

o

Thank you so much for the recipe. I think I will purchase a bamboo steamer and do an oriental apps party for our cookie exchange group!

o

I have one of those basket steamers that opens up like a flower; I place it in a straight-sided pan. Works just as well as a bamboo steamer. If you do use a bamboo steamer, make sure that the bamboo doesn't touch the water directly as it will expand out of shape.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here