Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blizlady

RECIPE: Looking for Sue's Siu Mai recipe

blizlady
14 years ago

Several of the threads refer to sue's siu mai recipe and how great it is. I have tried a search on all forums and cannot seem to find it. I'm sure it's there, but maybe I am not putting enough info into my search request. Can anyone please share the recipe? I am planning to serve this and the spanikopita over the holidays. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• woodie
    14 years ago

Maybe this is it, link below?

Here is a link that might be useful: Shu Mai

• blizlady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks woodie2!! Those look wonderful and I can't wait to try them!

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

Those were good, however the shu mai recipe is different.
    I'll post later.

Sue

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

This is my version of steamed dumplings/shu mai that Sharons was talking about.

I am not a big fan of the doughy outer of a steamed dumpling but love the filling, so this is the best of both worlds...the great flavor of the steamed-dumpling filling with a shu mai presentation.

I prefer to use round wrappers as they freeze better. You can either make these open-faced (fill like a cup) or fill them off center and fold over like a half-moon ravioli.

Be sure to make the dipping sauce, it enhances the flavor of the dumplings. Also veal can be used in place of chicken or can be made of all pork.

Don't be put off by the length of the recipe. This really isn't difficult at all.

SUE'S SHU MAI Makes 100+ (easily halved)

Dipping Sauce
    1/4 Cup Seasoned rice vinegar, Kikkoman is good
    1/4 Cup Low Sodium soy sauce
    1/4 Cup water
    1 Large Garlic cloves, minced
    1 teaspoon Ginger, minced (optional)
    1 teaspoon sliced green onion

Wonton Filling
    2 Packages won-ton wrappers
    1 pound pork loin, ground
    1 pound chicken breast, ground
    10 green onions, chopped fine
    4 Tablespoons Cornstarch
    4 Tablespoons Soy sauce, low sodium
    4 Tablespoons sesame oil
    5 Cups Napa lettuce, chopped fine
    6 cloves garlic, minced

For dipping sauce, mix all ingredients and refrigerate (Can make up to 3 days prior to serving)

For dumplings

If wontons skins are frozen, defrost them on the counter for 30 minutes (don't unseal the package yet).

Remove wrapper and cover wontons with a damp towel (this prevents them from drying out).

In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine meat, green onions, cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, and Napa lettuce

Working one at a time, gently peel off a wonton wrapper (cover the rest with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out), and place in the palm of your hand
    Fill with 1.5 to 2 T of filling forming a tight cup with your fingers.
    Gently tap the wonton on the table to flatten bottom.

Place on a jelly roll pan

When all wontons are stuffed, freeze, uncovered, on a cookie sheet for 8 hours or overnight.
    (This prevents them from sticking together).

Remove from pan and store in plastic bags and freeze until ready to use, but no longer than 1.5 months.

When ready to cook, line a baboo steamer, or any other type of steamer, with white paper towel.

Bring water to boil and steam dumplings over high heat, covered, for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.

Serve with dipping sauce.

• blizlady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the recipe. I think I will purchase a bamboo steamer and do an oriental apps party for our cookie exchange group!

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

I have one of those basket steamers that opens up like a flower; I place it in a straight-sided pan. Works just as well as a bamboo steamer. If you do use a bamboo steamer, make sure that the bamboo doesn't touch the water directly as it will expand out of shape.

Sue

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner