Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

LOOKING for: Hors d'Oeuvres

cookingrvc
15 years ago

Since the holidays are right around the corner, I was hoping folks could post our favorite hors d'ouvres recipes.

I would be grateful for the tried and true and would love to see anything new that has piqued your interest and is on your 'to-try' list. I am particularly interested in something that is baked or served hot (mini grilled sandwiches seem quite appealing - especially if I can make them ahead then bake them before serving), but please don't let that stop you form posting a favorite that is not served hot!

On my list to try this season is the Creton recipe posted by Monique sometime back, Sharon (Chase) stacked pizza (Sharon can you post this again!), mini greek meatballs with Ann_T's lemon sauce (Hi Ann!), mini knishes (great place nearby makes THE best).

Please post your favorites. I will be digging through my files and posting some of my favorites in a little bit.

Thanks,

Sue

Comments (15)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sue, at the cottage without recipes but will post Monday. People love that stacked pizza ( hate the name) you won;t be sorry.

My Spanikopita is always a huge hit and is a make ahead, lately served mini "meat ball sliders" in choux pastry cups which was a big hit. Also a salt baked mini potato scooped and stuffed with cherve....excellent.

I'll post Monday if you are interested.

You know I love my Hors d'Oeuvres! LOL

• tobygirl
    15 years ago

Here's one I make which is always well-received:

MUSHROOM TURNOVERS

Dough:
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1-1/2 cups flour
    pinch of salt

Filling:
    3 T. butter
    1 med. onion chopped fine
    1/2 lb. mushrooms chopped fine
    1 tsp. fresh thyme minced or 1/4 tsp. dried
    1/4 tsp. salt
    pepper to taste
    2 T. flour
    1/4 cup sour cream

To make dough: Mix cream cheese and butter thoroughly with an electric mixer. Add flour and salt and blend until smooth. Form into three flat disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for about 30 minutes.

To make filling: In skillet heat butter and onion. Add mushrooms, stirring often. Add seasonings and flour. Cook, stirring 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream and heat until thick. Cool.

Method: Roll dough to about 1/8" thickness. Cut into 3" rounds. Place about 1 tsp. filling on each. Lightly moisten edge with water. Fold over and press with fork. Prick top with fork. Chill in refrigerator for 20 - 30 minutes.

Bake on parchment-lined sheets at 400 degrees for 13 - 15 minutes. (Can brush with egg wash before baking.) Makes about 3 dozen.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I made these for friends who were over a couple of weeks ago - they absolutely loved them and they have requested I repeat them for our Thanksgiving feast (yes, we are celebrating together)

Alexa

Grown Up Ham and Cheese Finger Sandwiches
    1/2 cup water
    3 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced
    8 slices thin white bread, recommended: Pepperidge Farm
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large or 2 small green apples
    4 to 6 ounces aged Gouda
    1 tablespoon Dijon or whole grain mustard, apple butter or chutney
    1/2 bunch watercress
    8 thin slices prosciutto
    Freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Bring water, vinegar and brown sugar to a boil. Add the onions and remove from the heat. Cover, and set aside until the onions come to room temperature.
    Trim the crusts off the bread and cut the bread into thirds, for 3 rectangles per piece. Lightly brush both sides of the bread pieces with olive oil and lay out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until just crisp and lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Cool.
    To assemble: Quarter, core, and very thinly slice the apple, (a mandolin is terrific for this). Very thinly slice the cheese into triangles or shards that will fit nicely on the bread.
    Place a dab or smear of mustard on the bread. Place a piece of apple, cheese and 1 or 2 sprigs of watercress on each piece of toasted bread. Wrap a small piece of prosciutto around each stack to make a neat package. Top with a little bit of the pickled onions, a drizzle of olive oil and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve at room temperature.
    Do ahead tips: Toast the bread ahead, and thinly slice the apple, placing them in lemon water to prevent them from turning brown. If you need to assemble the sandwiches ahead, don't add the watercress, and cover them with a very light moistened paper towel.

RED PEPPER AND BOURSIN TARTS
    This recipe is easily doubled if you'd like to make more.
    Active time: 20 min Start to finish: 40 min

2 red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced crosswise
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 (17 1/4-oz) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
    1/4 cup herbed Boursin cheese (2 oz), softened
    1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 450F.
    Cook bell peppers in oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes, then cool.
    Unfold pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Cut into quarters (or smaller squares or triangles). Transfer to a buttered large baking sheet and prick all over with a fork, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges.
    Spread 2 tablespoons cheese evenly over each round, then scatter with peppers and sprinkle with thyme, kosher salt, and pepper to taste.
    Bake tarts in middle of oven until puffed and golden brown, about 15 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool slightly.
    Cut each tart into 8 wedges and serve warm.
    Cooks' note:
    Â Tarts can be assembled (but not baked) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

Makes 16 hors d'oeuvres.

Gourmet
    December 2001

Goat Cheese Crostini with Blood Orange and Black Pepper Marmalade
    Bon Appétit : December 2007

Amelia Saltsman

The marmalade can also be served with a cheese plate or simply spread on toast.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

8 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, room temperature
    4 blood oranges, divided
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    Fresh lemon juice (optional)
    18 1/2-inch-thick slices French or raisin baguette, toasted

Place goat cheese in small bowl. Finely grate 1 teaspoon peel from 1 blood orange; stir peel into cheese.

Using vegetable peeler, remove peel (orange part only) in strips from remaining 3 oranges. Cut peel into 1/8- to 1/4-inch pieces and place in medium saucepan. Using small sharp knife, cut white pith from all 4 oranges. Working over another small bowl to catch juices, cut between orange membranes to release segments. Squeeze any remaining juice from membranes into bowl. Discard membranes. Coarsely chop orange segments and add to saucepan along with any juices. Add juices from bowl to saucepan. Stir in honey and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper. Bring to boil over medium-high heat and cook uncovered until thick and reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Cool. Season with more ground black pepper to taste and with fresh lemon juice, if desired. DO AHEAD: Cheese and marmalade can be made 1 day ahead; cover separately and chill. Bring to room temperature before assembling crostini. Top toasted baguette slices with goat cheese, then marmalade. Place crostini on platter and serve.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

Bowknots

24 thinly sliced pieces of white bread (crusts removed.
    1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.
    12 strips of bacon cut in half.

Spread soup over the bread slices covering completly.
    Roll bread on the diagonal and wrap bacon around the middle of the bread and secure with a toothpick.

These can be frozen at this point. Freeze on cookie sheet and then put in a freezer bag after frozen.

Bake in a 250F oven for 1 hour. If frozen add 15 minutes to baking time.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

The Bowknots are from "Food Editors' Favorites: Treasured Recipes"

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Here are some oldies.

• dreamhouse1
    15 years ago

Did this last week for my sister's baby shower: thin sliced white bread, crusts removed. Roll with a pin until very thin (almost becomes dough). Cut in half. Make a mixture of cream cheese, horseradish and lemon - to your tastes. Spread on bread, roll up a piece of fresh asparagus and secure with a toothpick. Dip in melted butter. Put on a cookie sheet and freeze; put in a freezer bag until ready for use. To bake, remove the toothpick and cut in half (they will be bite size w/part of the asparagus coming out one end), bake at 350, turning to brown. Serve with additional horseradish sauce for dipping.

Also, another make ahead and freeze until needed...

Blue Cheese Puffs (Stop and Smell the Rosemary/Houston Junior League)

2 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
    1 c mayonnaise
    1 T minced onion
    1/4 C minced fresh chives
    3/4-1 C crumbled blue cheese
    1/2 t cayenne pepper
    1 loaf whole wheat bread, very thinly sliced
    paprika

Mix cream cheese and mayo in a meduim bowl. Stir in onion, chives, blue cheese and cayenne pepper. Set aside.
    Using a 1-1/2 to 2 in. round cookie cutter, cut bread slices into rounds. Spread 1 T of cheese mixture on each round. Place puffs on a baking sheet and freeze.
    When ready to serve, preheat to 350, back for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika.

Both of these can be made ahead and they go from freezer straight to oven. Both have been big hits at my house.

• annova914
    15 years ago

Here are a few recipes. I've only made the first one so far (and loved it!). I plan to make the other two over the holidays (the Crab Rangoon though I need to think about possibly baking as opposed to deep frying). Ann

Roasted Shrimp with Thousand Island Dressing
    Serves: 4 servings

1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
    For the dressing:
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 teaspoon minced capers
    1 teaspoon minced gherkins
    1 tablespoon sweet pickles
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Pinch kosher salt
    Pinch freshly ground black pepper
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
    Place the shrimp on a sheet pan and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Pour the olive oil and juice over the shrimp, and roast in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes.
    For the dressing, place the mayonnaise, ketchup, capers, gherkins, sweet pickles, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl, and stir until blended. Serve with the roasted shrimp.
    Source: Barefoot Contessa

Mexican Dip

8 oz cream cheese-softened
    1 can hot Hormel Chili with Beans
    4 oz. can diced green chilies
    2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
    4 oz. can black olives-drained & sliced
    3-5 sliced green onions (tops and all)

Spread softened cream cheese in a round pie plate. Continue to layer all ingredients in order given. Bake at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serve with favorite chips or crackers. Source: ??

Crab Rangoon
    16 ounces light cream cheese, softened
    1 can Crab meat, drained and crumbled
    2 green onion, whole
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    1 package Won ton skins
    In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except won ton skins and spray coating; mix until well blended. (To prevent won ton skins from drying out, prepare one or two rangoon at a time.) Place 1 teaspoon filling in center of each won ton skin. Moisten edges with water; fold in half to form triangle, pressing edges to seal. Pull bottom corners down and overlap slightly; moisten one corner and press to seal.

Deep-fry in hot (375 degree) oil two or three at a time until browned. Serve warm with mustard or sweet and sour sauce.
    Source: Culinarycafé.com

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Here's a bunch more.

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

I know this sounds like a weird combination of ingredients but they do and up working together.

SAVORY DATE RUGELACH makes 4 dozen

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 cups walnuts, divided
    4 oz. blue cheese, cut into cubes
    48 pitted dates (about 12 oz.)
    1 large egg white
    1 tsp. water

Dough:
    In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Stir in flour and salt just until blended (or use mixer on low speed). Divide dough into 4 equal pieces; flatten each into a disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.

Filling:
    In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse 1/2 cup walnuts until finely chopped; reserve in small bowl. In same food processor, pulse blue cheese and remaining 1 cup of walnuts 7 to 8 times or until a coarse mixture forms.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large cookie sheets with foil; grease foil.

On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll 1 disk of dough into a 10-inch round. Cut into 12 equal wedges. Beginning 1 inch from outside edge, sprinkle 1/2 cup blue cheese mixture in 2 inch wide ring on dough, leaving dough exposed in center. Place one whole date crosswise on wide end of each wedge. Starting at wide end, roll up each wedge, jelly-roll fashion.

Place rugelach, 1 inch apart, on cookie sheets, point side down. Repeat with remaining four dough disks. In small bowl, beat egg white and water. Brush rolls with egg white and sprinkle with reserved walnuts.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden, rotating sheets between upper and lower racks halfway through baking. Let stand for a minute or two and then transfer to wire racks to cool. Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature up to 3 days.

To make ahead: Arrange unbaked rugelach in single layer in jelly roll pan; cover and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and place in freezer containers with waxed paper in between each layer. Seal and freeze up to 3 months. About 45 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 350. Line 2 large cookie sheets with foil; grease foil. Arrange frozen rugelach on prepared cookie sheets and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.

• cookingrvc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I did do a search but failed to find one that Ginger posted - thanks Ginger.

I have happily cut and pasted many of those listed, and just tried three of them on Sunday.

Artichoke balls - I used Trader Joes frozen artichokes sauteed in olive oil and garlic, then whizzed in the food processor, used pecornio romano (Locatelli brand()instead of parmesan...finished per instructions, sprayed with olive oil and baked. everyone loved them and they were soon gone.

Cretons. This piqued my interest so I gave it a shot. I like my pate smooth so I whizzed this in the food processor (that little bad boy gpt quite the workout on Sunday) and added some unsalted butter. I thought it was good and so did the guests. Got two more ramekins of it in the freezer.

Next I tried the White bean dip, which for some reason I am never successful at making. It came out okay, but then developed nicely as the flavors melded in the refrigerator and everyone loved it. Only change I made was to separately mince the parsley and stir it in. I didn't want the dip to turn green. Oh, and I used olive oil spray on the chips, oregano, and some kosher salt and garlic powder. Very nice.

I have a few more that I;ll be trying and will report back. Thanks all and please post 'em if you got 'em.

Sue

• dottieq
    15 years ago

Artichoke-Beef bites

1 jar artichoke hearts, drained
    1 jar chipped dried beef
    1 pkg. good seasons Italian salad dressing

Mix salad dressing according to directions on pkg. Quarter artichoke hearts and marinate in salad dressing overnight. Drain and wrap in strips of beef (or could use strips of ham slices.) Secure with toothpick. Just before serving, broil

Zucchini and Pepperoni Appetizer

3 C. grated zucchini
    1 C Bisquick
    1 C. mozzarella, shredded
    1/2 C shredded parmesan
    1/4 c. oil
    1/2 c. green pepper, diced
    2 tsp. parsley
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp oregano
    4 eggs, beaten with fork
    1 c pepperoni slices, halved

Combine ingredients. Put in greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake 350 30 min. or until golden brown. Cut in small squares. Serve hot.

• bloominroses
    15 years ago

Hasty Hots

4 green onions
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    6 tbsp mayonnaise
    24 baguette slices

Chop green onions fine. Add grated cheese and enough mayo to make a spread of fairly firm consistency. Toast one side of baguette slices. Spread mixture on untoasted side and put under broiler just until bubbly. Makes 2 dozen canapes.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Sue I served these at a shower and they were very well received. Have also made them with herbed boursin.

Salt Baked Potatoes With Goat Cheese
    Servings (36)

Food And Drink summer 2007
    3 Cups Kosher Salt
    18 Small New Potatoes Halved And Scooped Out Slightly
    2 1/2 TBSP Olive Oil
    3 Cloves Garlic Minced
    14 Oz Goat Cheese At Room Temp
    4 Tsp Fresh Thyme
    Fresh Ground Pepper To Taste
    Basil Leaves For Garnish

Preheat oven to 400~

Spread salt on the bottom of an extra large baking dish.

Toss potatoes with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Press potatoes cut side up in salt.

Roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Remove potatoes and scrap off excess salt. Place potatoes on a clean baking sheet

Turn on the broiler. Heat remaining 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil. Saute the garlic until tender Transfer to a medium sized bowl, add cheese, thyme and pepper. Stir to combine.

Fill each potato with the goat cheese. Broil for 1 minute or until bubbling. Serve garnished with basil.

This was a big hit at a New Years Day get together. I couldn't find rolls small enough (you want no more than two bites size) so I made mini puffs like you would for gougere or profiteroles. The meat balls fit nicely in the space in the puff.

Meatball Sliders Bon Appétit : September 2007

1/2 Lb ground beef
    1/2 Lb ground pork
    1/2 Lb ground veal
    1/2 Cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)*
    1/2 Cup water
    8 Tbl freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese divided
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    1/4 Cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tsp salt
    1/2 Tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 Cup vegetable oil
    2 Tbl olive oil
    1 Cup chopped onion
    6 garlic cloves chopped
    1/4 Cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
    1 1/2 Tsp fennel seeds
    1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
    14.5-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
    Arugula leaves (optional)
    18 small soft rolls split horizontally

Mix all meats, panko, 1/2 cup water,6 tablespoons cheese, egg, egg yolk,1/4 cup parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2teaspoon black pepper in large bowl.Form into eighteen 2-inch-meatballs.

Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry meatballs until brown all over. Transfer to plate. Pour off drippings from skillet. Reduce heat to medium. Add olive oil to skillet. Add onion, garlic, basil, and fennel seeds. Saute until onion begins to brown,about 5 minutes. Add all tomatoes with juices. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Reduce heat to low,cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer,stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

Puree sauce in processor until almost smooth. Return to same skillet.Add meatballs. Cover with lid slightly ajar and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, stirring occasionally,about 30 minutes longer.

DO AHEAD:Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.

Place arugula leaves on bottom of each roll, if desired. Top each with1 meatball. Drizzle meatballs with some of sauce and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and 2 tablespoons. cheese. Cover with tops of rolls.

*Sold in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets and at Asian
    Jmarkets.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Great thread! I just made these little guys and will heat them up tomorrow, I think they're very tasty and they're certainly easy.

SPANIKOPITA CUPS

Makes 30
    Tip: Can be made through Step 4 up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.

2 boxes (2.1 oz each) frozen mini filo pastry shells (30 shells)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped scallions (I used finely minced onion, less than 1/2 cup)
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
    1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, not drained
    1/4 cup Neufchatel
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    4 ounces crumbled Feta cheese
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oven to 400. Place filo shells on a rimmed baking sheet.
      2. Heat oil in a nonstick medium skillet over medium heat. Add scallions, garlic and dill; cook 1 minute until soft. Add spinach and any liquid; cook 2 minutes until almost dry.
      3. Add cream cheese and pepper; remove from heat and stir until cheese melts and mixture is blended.
      4. Stir in Feta and Parmesan cheese. Spoon 1 rounded measuring teaspoon into each shell.
      5. To serve: Bake for 5 minutes or until hot.
      Source: Woman's Day magazine