Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela59_gw

LOOKING for: Mashed potatoes---how much can be done ahead of tim

angela59
15 years ago

I searched the forum first and didn't find this answer. I would like to prepare the potatoes as far as peeling, cutting and boiling them on Tuesday, but wait to mash them on Thursday for Thanksgiving dinner? Will this work? What gave me the idea is the new steam and mash frozen potatoes I've seen advertized on TV. I think they are not cooked though, just peeled and cut....

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Comments (5)

• luckygardnr
    15 years ago

I make this ahead of time every year and freeze it. On Xmas morning, just take it out of the freezer to thaw. Place in 350' oven an hour before serving.

WHIPPED POTATO CASSEROLE
    12 to 20 potatoes
    Salt and pepper
    1/4 cup butter or chicken broth
    1/2 pkg cream cheese
    1 cup sour cream
    Wash and peel potatoes and cook in water until tender. Mash with butter (or chicken broth) and add cream cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Mix until smooth and creamy.

Spoon into greased 2 quart casserole dish. Cover with plastic wrap until needed. To reheat, remove from refrigerator, let sit 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Bake 30 minutes.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I've done them similar to the recipe below but did them the day before not 2 days. However, according to this you can do it 2 days.

I'd rather do it this way than to mash them on the day you're serving.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mashed potatoes

• jojoco
    15 years ago

my best suggestion is to make them in the morning and then put in a crockpot on low with a paper towel between the top of the pot and the lid. They keep perfectly fresh for hours.
    Jo

• cookingrvc
    15 years ago

Judging from the fact that I have successfully reheated potatoes for several days after they were made, I think you can easily cook them 2 days ahead, even 3 days.

I would cook the potatoes and then mash and add half the milk and butter you normally would. Cool completely before storing them in airtight containers in the fridge, else the condensation will water them down.

On the day you're serving them, transfer them to a pot and bring them to room temp. Thirty minutes before serving, add the rest of the milk and butter and heat on medium low, partially covered. Stir them often to prevent burning.
    Sue

• annie1971
    15 years ago

We had really cheap potatoes here for about a week last summer. Don't know what got into me, but I ended up with 15 pounds of potatoes. I made up batches of scalloped potatoes (baked and froze them). But back to your question -- I peeled, cut, boiled and seasoned potatoes. Drained and cooled them - then packaged them and froze for future mashed potatoes. Just defrost, heat, mash and add your usual ingredients to finish up. Be sure to cook off the excess moisture after draining (that's something I always do anyway, but particularly important before freezing). I use a Food Saver vacuum sealer for freezing. If you have a vacuum sealer, you could prepare them to the mashing stage and seal and store in your refrigerator for a few days without a problem. I would reheat in a double boiler or in a bowl over hot water.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County