Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottieq

RECIPE: Best of Best Pumpkin Pie

dottieq
15 years ago

I am going to my daughter's for Thanksgiving...volunteered to bring pies. I do not like pumpkin pie but everone else does so of course one of the pies will be pumpkin. Is there anything out there that is better than the Libbys recipe?

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

The Libby's is really good but here's an alternative:
    PRALINE PUMPKIN PIE
    1/3 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 TBL butter, softened
    1 unbaked 9" pie shell, softened
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 cup canned pumpkin puree
    1 TBL flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp graound ginger
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/8 tsp ground mace (you can omit if you don't have it)
    1 cup evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)

Preheat oven to 450°. combine the pecans, 1/3 cup of the brown sugar & the butter. Press into the bottom of the pie shell. Bake 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, combine the eggs & pumpkin. Add 2/3 cup of brown sugar, the flour, salt, spices & milk. Beat until smooth & creamy. Pour into the partially baked pie shell. Lower the oven heat to 325° & bake 45 minutes.~~Necessities & Temptations

• benflower
    15 years ago

I don't like pumpkin pie either, we always had sweet potato pie at home. But I have to make one for husband on Thanksgiving. Here's what I do

1 - 15 oz. can Libbys Pumpkin
    1 cup Sugar
    1/2 stick butter
    3 eggs beaten
    1/2 cup evaporated milk (probably could use heavy cream)
    1 tab. vanilla
    1 teas. nutmeg
    1 teas. cinnamon
    1/2 teas. fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teas. ginger

Mix well and pour in pie crust.
    Topping
    1/2 cup self rising flour
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 stick melted butter --

bake 325 till set -- about 45 min. to 1 hour. watch topping to keep from getting too brown, may have to cover with foil if it starts browning too fast.

• dottieq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my....they both sound good! Don't
    know why I don't like pumpkin pie. I like everything that goes into it. Thanks for the recipes.

• annie1971
    15 years ago

If you don't care for traditional Libby's pumpkin pie, here's the absolute best alternative, as long as you're willing to add some bourbon.
    PUMPKIN GELATIN PIE

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (use fresh grated)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup milk
    3 slightly beaten egg yolks
    1 -16 oz can pumpkin
    1/4 cup bourbon
    3 egg whites
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 baked 9" pie shell
    Whipped cream for serving

In saucepan combine gelatin and 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in milk, egg yolks and pumpkin. Cook and stir over medium heat til mixture thickens and just begins toboil. Remove from heat; stir in bourbon.
    Chill mixture until partially set.

In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form (tips curl over). Gradually add 2 Tbsp sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Pile pumpkin mixture into baked pie shell. Refrigerate several hours until mixture is set. Garnish with whipped cream and sprinkle with fresh grated nutmeg, if desired.

Enjoy!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County