Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookingrvc_gw

RECIPE: Sharon's Spanakopita

cookingrvc
14 years ago

Ok, so what is wrong with me??? I've been coming to this site for more than 10 years and just recently made Sharon's Spanakopita.

I've been missing their cheesy deliciousness for all this time...shame on me.

I am preparing for my annual Holiday Dinner with life-long friends and this is on my appetizer menu. We made a batch the other night and sampled the disfigured ones (I did finally get the folding right) and they were outstanding.

Am now making them for Thanksgiving!

Thank you Sharon. And might I add you look lovely in your Penzey's debute!

Spanakopita

These pretty, flaky appetizers are sure to be a hit at any party.

16 oz. frozen phyllo dough, thawed in the fridge for 24 hours (see note)

10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained of all liquid

3/4 lb. feta cheese

1/2 lb. cottage cheese (about 1 Cup), pressed and drained

1/4 lb. cream cheese, softened

3 eggs

1/4 Cup fresh dill, finely chopped (or 4 tsp. dried)

kosher salt, to taste

PENZEYS FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER, to taste

GROUND NUTMEG, to taste

3/4 Cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the phyllo and melted butter.

Working with one sheet of phyllo at a time, brush with melted butter and top with another sheet, then brush that with melted butter as well.

After three sheets, cut the phyllo into 5 strips widthwise. Place 1 spoonful of mixture at the bottom of each strip about 1 inch from the bottom.

Fold the bottom piece up over the filling and then fold up into triangles.

Fold like you fold a flag, to the left, up, to the right, up etc. These can be made ahead and frozen for up to 3 months.

When ready to cook: Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden.

Serve warm.

Note: It is important to buy phyllo dough from a store that has a good turnover rate because old phyllo gets dry and hard to work with. Freshly frozen phyllo is quite easy to deal with. We like Athens brand, though the freshness is more important than the brand, and go to our local Greek store to get it.

Prep. time: 45 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Serves: 120

Nutritional Information: Servings 60;

Serving Size 2 pieces (24g); Calories 60; Calories from fat 35; Total fat 4g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 100mg; Carbohydrate 4g; Dietary Fiber 0g.

Comments (4)