Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Buttermilk Refrigerator Roll recipe

Posted by bumblebeez (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 05 at 10:09

These are often requested by my family for holidays and recently from another member here so I am posting it for her.
I like to make them in the mornings for a breakfast roll too.
I usually double the recipe using only 1/3 cup sugar in the doubled recipe.
If you keep the dough for a week, punch it down every day or so.
They are a great roll.

Buttermilk Refrigerator Rolls

1 Package dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup melted butter
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let sit 5 minutes. Stir in butter

Combine dry ingredients; add to yeast mixture along with buttermilk.
Stir well. Turn dough out on a floured surface, knead gently a few times and shape into a ball. Place in greased bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed. Keeps for one week.

Break off a soft ball sized lump of dough and roll into a circle about 1/4" thick. Cut into pie shaped wedges and roll up from the wider edge into crescent shapes. You do not have to let them rise again.
Bake on greased baking sheet at 400 for 8-10 minutes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Buttermilk Refrigerator Roll recipe

We roll these out, cut with a round cutter, and call them Angel Biscuits. They don't get any better. A friend from SC gave me this recipe years ago when I couldn't make biscuits.
RL`

o

I'm so hungry for a good roll right about now. Thanks!

o

I agree. The recipe sounds great. I was just looking for a way to use a whole lot of buttermilk, and lo and behold.
Thank you!

Sol

o

My recipe for Buttermilk Rolls is one of my favorites! I roll out my dough in a rectangle and cut square rolls with my pizza cutter. Then I put them on a parchment lined jelly roll pan, brush them with melted butter and let them rise. They get brushed with butter again when they come out of the oven. Yum....

Teresa

o

Teresa, is your recipe the same as Bumblebeez? If not maybe you could share yours too.

Thanks

Ann

o

It's a little different, Ann, so I would be happy to share. This recipe comes from Tasteful, a North Carolina magazine.

Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Rolls

1 c. warm water
4 scant TB dry yeast
1/2 c. sugar
3 c. buttermilk
9 1/2 to 10 cups bread flour
1 1/2 c. butter, melted
4 t. baking powder
4 t. salt
2 TB vegetable oil

Combine the warm water, yeast, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir to dissolve and set aside for 5 minutes. Heat buttermilk to 100 degrees F. Add to yeast. Add 5 cups flour, 1/4 cup butter, baking powder, and salt. Mix with an electric mixer on low for 4-5 minutes. Add 4 1/2 to 5 cups additional flour to make a soft dough. Turn out dough on a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Grease bowl with the oil. Add dough to bowl, turn to coat top with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size - 1 hour or more. Punch down dough and let rest 10 minutes.

Spray a large pan (I use a 10" by 17" jelly roll pan) with cooking spray or line pan with parchment paper. Shape dough into approximately 50 rolls and place in prepared pan.

Brush rolls with the rest of the melted butter, cover with plastic wrap and a clean dish towel. Let rise 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 F. Bake rolls 15-18 minutes. Cool rolls out of pan on wire racks.

Store in freezer zip bags until ready to use. These rolls freeze well. This recipe can be halved successfully.

I mentioned that I roll out the dough after it has risen into a rectangle about 1/2-inch thick, then cut into square rolls with a rolling pizza cutter. To me, this goes a lot faster than cutting in rounds. I just eyeball it to try to get the rolls close to the same size. I cut them fairly small and they turn out about the size of the Pepperidge Farm Party Rolls, if you know those.

"a perfect roll"
Teresa

o

Hey all --

Well I finally got around to making Bumblebeez' buttermilk refrigerator rolls (just 5 short months after printing the recipe! LOL)... And I must admit I was dubious, mostly about the whole -- they don't have to rise after rolling them out, you can just pop them from the fridge into the oven part... But also puzzled as I had never seen a recipe with both yeast and leavening (soda and powder) in it before -- I always thought that soda and powder basically started acting as soon as you mixed the wet and dry ingredients...

Anyway, to make a long story short, I made the dough yesterday, they were in my fridge for a full 24 hours... Took them out, rolled them, popped them right in the oven as directed and... They were DELICIOUS! Thank you Bumblebeez -- what a treat! So light and fluffy, but at the same time quite flavorful. YUM. I have another half of the dough still in the fridge - and how awesome, that in just 10 minutes (which was the baking time on the nose) the whole house will smell fabulous, I can have one of these yummy warm fresh rolls in my mouth!

Emily

o

another recipe using yeast and baking soda.... we did not refrigerate it. Note the use of Crisco ... I haven't tried the new Crisco that's supposed to be trans-fat free

My mother often made these rolls for Sunday night supper. We'd eat them with cheese, jams, butter, etc. These rolls are heavier and have more body than traditional "lighter-than-air" yeast rolls Southern cooks brag about. Truthfully, I prefer this recipe.

Quick Buttermilk Rolls

1 1/4 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 envelopes yeast
1/4 cup sugar
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup Crisco -melted

Scald milk in double boiler. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Cool. Add sugar, buttermilk and melted shortening. Add flour and salt sifted together. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes. Roll and cut in desired shape. (We prefer Parker House shape -- 3' circle folded in half.) Place on cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Bake in hot oven (425F) for 10 to 12 minutes.

o

Kayskats -- What I find interesting about both your recipe and the one bumblebeez posted is that the liquid / flour ratio looks totally off to me. For example, the bumblebeez recipe calls for 3 cups liquid (2 cups buttermilk, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 cup melted butter) to 4 cups flour... I had to add WAY more flour to the recipe (and I actually only made a quarter batch) and I see your recipe uses a similar 3 to 4 ratio. I'm confused, since my normal bread recipes call for about a cup of water or maybe 1& 1/4 for four cups of flour...

When you make your recipe, are you adding lots of extra flour? Because had I not added more flour to bumblebeez', it would have been more like batter -- definitely not something I could have kneaded or rolled out...

Emily

o

I'm glad you liked the rolls Emily. I'm about to make 300 of them for an upcoming event. I should have mentioned that the dough is very sticky after stirring. I scrape it onto my board and very gently knead in another 1/2 to 1 cup more flour. Just firm enough to handle. The flour is coating the outside of the gluten ball. Later, when punched down, I use enough flour to roll them out..it's actually more of a streching the ball into a flattish round. I try not to disturb the gluten sack. I do roll a bit, however.
I'm not explaining it very well, but bread doughs can be managed by using flour on the outside and not incorporating it into the dough itself. This makes a lighter roll.

o

well, I needed a good push to get off my duff and make these rolls again ... it's been a while and I simply can't recall if I had to add flour to handle. I don't think so (other than dusting the board and the top of the patted out dough and dipping the cutter each time I cut).

I'm not much of a baker and never questioned the proportions. I like these rolls because they have a lot more body and don't rise as high as my aunts' "light-as-a-feather" rolls. They're also a lot quicker.
I'm going to try bumblebeez' recipe since I could keep them in the fridge and cook a few at a time.

o

Emily - thanks for pointing out the addition of much more flour. I thought it was just me! The dough was so wet, there was no way I could've ever rolled it out without adding a lot more flour. However, I would like to point out that once they were made, they were absolutely delicious!

o

Well since I am totally obsessed with them, I've got a second batch of bumblebeez' rolls in the fridge now. I'm trying them out using half white flour and half of the King Arthur White Whole Wheat (a lighter whole wheat that is finely milled), in an effort to eat as many whole grains as I can! I also left the dough stickier and tried not to knead too much flour into it... Will report back when I bake up the first batch! Mmmmm. I can almost smell them now...

Emily

o

Ok, and the verdict is... there's a reason bumblbeez's rolls are so good exactly the way they are written! I tried with half whole wheat flour and didn't like them... While the texture was still excellent, the whole wheat obscured the buttery / slightly tangy buttermilk flavor. Stick with the un-messed with original!

Emily

o

fearlessem how much additional flour did you use?

o

Hi kayskats --

The first time I made a quarter batch (so the recipe was only supposed to have 1 cup and 2 Tbs of flour)... And I'd say I probably used close to 2 cups! This time I made a half batch, so it was supposed to have 2 and a 1/4 cups of flour, and I incorporated less flour (proportion wise) and kept the dough stickier -- I'd say I used around 3 cups total... The interesting thing is that in both cases the rolls were very very tender and moist, didn't taste dry at all, even with all the extra flour I worked in. Its just that I liked the flavor much better when they were made with all white flour...

Emily

o

Do you think I could substitute reconstituted dry buttermilk in these recipes without changing the texture or flavor?

o

I don't see why not -- certainly worth giving it a try! Mmmm. These are so good. Have taken to baking small numbers of them in my toaster oven... Had two for lunch today!

Emily

o

Living in the midwest and in the absence of White Lily flour...I wonder if subbing some Swan's Down cake flour for some of the All purpose would make a more true "southern" roll?
Linda C

o

I don't find too much difference in the flours, but only White Lily stone ground white cornmeal will do for my Southern cornbread.

FYI, I just ordered White Lily cornmeal from:
whitelily.com (order was processed by smuckers.)

great service; ordered Friday at noon, got notice of shipment Friday afternoon and had delivery on Tues

They also have all purpose and self-rising flour plus a number of mixes.

Had to order 20 lbs, but vacuum-sealed three of the 5lb bags using my Food Saver and put them in the freezer. It keeps a long time.

o
Oh My!!!! Good!

I couldn't stand it....and had a 1/2 pint of buttermilk in the refrig.....so I whipped up 1/2 a batch.....and baked 1/2 of that....and ate 1/2 of that for dinner!
Just cheese and buttermilk rolls....
They are very very yummy! Sure to impress if you pull out a basket for guests!
Linda C

o

that's the way we ate them Linda except it was always Sunday night "supper" and we pulled out a few jars of jam.
did you put the cheese on the rolls while hot? I used to take an entire biscuit sheet of rolls right out of the oven and quickly put cheese or butter in all of them ...

o

Oh darn it ladies --- now you've got me craving them again... Have to go downstairs and make some for lunch! I'll justify it to myself because I've got an upset stomach and I'm sure these light, fluffy, buttery rolls would be veeeery soothingg!

Emily

o

For anyone new reading this, I forgot to mention that the dough does need to rise once overnight in the refrigerator before punching down and shaping. If you were in a hurry, you could let the it rise on the counter then shape.

o

I must try these. I need to take rolls to a retirement party. These sound nice addition to the table.

o

Livvyandbella --

Not to dissuade you, but I would say that I think something crucial about these rolls is lost if you don't eat them warm... So unless you'd be able to bake them and then warm them up briefly in an oven at the party, I personally might pick a different roll. Again, just my opinion...

Emily

o

agree with Emily ... my Mom's recipe (similar but not refrigerated) is best straight from the oven to the tummy ...maybe after being briefly delayed by adding cheese, butter or jelly

o

I hope this helps...
Here's the recipe I use for lemon squares.

1 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp AP flour
1/2 cup confectioner sugar
3/4 cup cold butter
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking power
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
Additional powdered sugar for garnish

Combine 1 1/2 cup flour, powdered sugar and cut in the cold butter until crumbly.
Press into a 9 x 13 greased pan. Bake for 15 to 20 mins until brown around the edges.
Combine the other ingredients and pour over the baked crust. Bake 20 mins. Cool and cut into squares and sprinkle with powered sugar. Makes 24 to 36 squares.

Linda P

o

Thank you, bumblebeez, for sharing this great recipe!

I have made the rolls several times already and my DH and 3-year-old daughter just can't get enough of them. I let DD help me make the dough and shape the rolls and she always has such a good time.
I actually made a double batch of dough for her birthday party (two weeks ago) and all the little kids made their own rolls. It was a lot of fun. The kids used quite a bit of additional flour, but the rolls still turned out great!
Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here