Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodie2

RECIPE: Chicken Lombardy

woodie
14 years ago

I recently tried a new recipe from my friend, Carol. It is most definitely a keeper! We had dinner guests and of course she asked for the recipe. Another friend makes a version of this using white wine instead of Marsala, so that's certainly an option.

Chicken Lombardy

by Carol/Dishesdone

Source: Epicurean.com

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

9 to 12 tablespoons butter, divided (I use olive oil)

Salt and pepper

1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms (I use more)

3/4 cup Marsala wine

3/4 cup chicken stock

1 cup shredded Italian Fontina, or Mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dredge chicken lightly in flour.

In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Place several pieces of chicken in the pan, without overcrowding them. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. When browned, place chicken in a lightly greased 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Repeat browning procedure with remaining chicken, adding a little butter each time. Reserve the drippings.

Saute mushrooms in the same pan with a little more butter, and then add the marsala and chicken stock into the pan, scraping to deglaze the pan, and cook for about 10 minutes or more until sauce is reduced and thickens a bit. Spoon sauce over chicken.

Combine Fontina and Parmesan cheeses and sprinkle over chicken. Bake for 10 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.

Place under broiler until cheese has melted and bubbly or in my case usually, extremely browned!

Carol's notes: I browned the chicken, removed them to a plate, sauteed the mushrooms, then returned the chicken to the pan, added the stock and the Marsala, and reduced the sauce. Then I put the chicken in a baking dish, poured the sauce and mushrooms on top, and baked it in the oven for about 10-15 to make sure chicken was cooked thoroughly. Then sprinkled with just shredded mozzarella because I forgot the Parmesan and broiled it until the cheese was brown and bubbly! This time I used boneless, skinless thighs because I pulled the wrong package out of the freezer to defrost! I also used a package of chicken tenderloins! Hey, this was for family, not company! Miss Picky likes the thin-sliced cutlets better, but in a pinch these were excellent!

Woodie's notes: I used Perdue thin sliced breasts and didn't pound them (they were perfect) and I used 2 packages of pre-shredded Italian blend cheese which had fontina, mozzarella and asiago. I don't know quite how many chicken pieces I had (more than the recipe calls for) but I doubled the sauce and the cheese and the mushrooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post of November 11

Comments (3)