Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Sweet Potato Cake

Posted by brenda55 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 5, 08 at 9:47

Does anyone have a T&T sweet potato cake recipe. I had one a week ago and it was very good and would be a great addition to Thanksgiving. I thought the cake was a spice cake and inquired about it and found it was a sweet potato cake. The restaurant buystheir baked goods from a baker, so no recipe. the frosting was a very light cream cheese and an article I read in the SA paper to get a really fluffy cream cheese frosting, you should beat the margarine and pow. sugar together until blended and then add the cream cheese and and vanilla and beat 5 minutes. Does anyone make this frosting beating for 5 minutes?

thanks for your ideas/recipes.

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Sweet Potato Cake

I would not hesitate to substitute sweet potatoes for the pumpkin in this recipe. I don't have a trouble with cream cheese frosting being light and fluffy. I think it has to do with the proportion of butter, cream cheese and butter.

Pumpkin cake
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups pumpkin puree or cooked mashed pumpkin
cream cheese frosting, below
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions for pumpkin cake
Mix sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl
stir into oil mixture, beating well. Stir in pumpkin puree.
Pour batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pans. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool. Frost pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and top with chopped pecans.

Cream cheese frosting
1 stick butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese and butter together, beat in sugar and beat until well blended....add vanilla.

o
RE: LOOKING for: Sweet Potato Cake

Linda, thanks for the recipe, I am certainly going to try it this week substituting sweet potatoes for the pumpkin as the spices sound pretty close in my mind. Do you split the layers and frost?

Thanks again.

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here