Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ca

RECIPE: Spicy Shrimp & Grits

becky_ca
16 years ago

I must admit, until I made this last night, not only had I never made grits, I'd never even eaten them. What can I say... I was born and raised in California, as were both my parents. However, I adore polenta, and this tasted a lot like polenta to me. We liked this a lot (okay, not my son, but DH and I), and I'll make it again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spicy Shrimp and Grits

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

6 cups water

1 can evaporated milk (do not use fat-free) -- (12 ounce)

1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits

1 1/2 cups coarsely grated sharp white cheddar cheese -- (packed)

5 bacon slices -- chopped

2 cups sliced crimini (baby bella) mushrooms -- 4 to 5 ounces

1 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

2 1/4 cups chopped plum tomatoes -- divided

1 pound uncooked large shrimp -- peeled, deveined

1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

Bring water and milk to boil in large saucepan. Gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until grits are thick, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Mix in cheese; season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, sauté bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels. Add mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and 1 1/2 cups tomatoes to drippings in skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender and sauce is thick, about 12 minutes. Add shrimp, hot sauce, and 3/4 cup tomatoes to skillet. Sauté until shrimp are just opaque in center, about 4 minutes.

Spoon hot grits onto plates; top with shrimp and sauce.

Source:

"Bon Appétit : November 2007"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comments (18)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Becky, this sounds fabulous. The only place I've ever had shrimp and grits is at Nofo when visiting DD, and so I have nothing to compare - but this recipe has the same ingredients and sounds really delish. (Being a New Jersey girl, grits aren't on the menu around here either :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Nofo

• Nonnie_GA
    16 years ago

The biggest difference between polenta and grits is that grits are coarser and polenta fine ground corn.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

My son loves shrimp and grits casserole!

• becky_ca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glenda - can you share the recipe for the shrimp and grits casserole? I now have most of a box of grits left to use up...

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

Becky, this is very close to the shrimp and grits casserole that is served in my area.

1 1/2 lb cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp

1 c. regular (not instant) grits, uncooked
    2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 c. milk
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (sharp Cheddar is good)
    (Cayenne or Tabasco sauce to taste)

Bring 3 1/4 c. water to a boil with the salt and stir in the grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Combine eggs and milk; stir in grits gradually. Stir in shrimp, garlic, hot pepper or hot sauce, and 1 c. of the cheese. Spoon into a lightly buttered 11 x 7 pan and sprinkle the top with the rest of the cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.

• patti43
    16 years ago

If you ever want the best grits in the world and happen to be in Georgia, the Grits Cafe in downtown Forsyth has the most fabulous menu you can imagine. I don't know how they cook the grits, but they are sooo creamy. We plan our trips to the Ga. mountains so we'll be there at lunch time. I always get the grits martini (grits, asiago cheese, apple smoked bacon, chopped shrimp in a mushroom sauce served in a martini glass with a large shrimp on the side of the glass). DH always gets the fried green tomato Napoleon (fried green tomatoes layered with large boiled shrimp and served with a wonderful sauce). Someday I'm going to order dessert, even if I have to take it with me. The desserts come with a small orchid in them and they look heavenly. The sweet tea is perfect.

I wish I knew how they made them so creamy. Any ideas? Is it the grits or the method?

• woodie
    16 years ago

Patti - I just looked up Forsyth and it doesn't appear to be close to my route on 95 South from NJ to FL, darn! It sounds like it might be worth a detour :)

• becky_ca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glenda - thanks for the casserole recipe! Have put it in my "Want to try file".

Patti - after reading your description I'm sorry to say that I don't expect to get to Georgia anytime soon LOL. You might try the grits recipe that I posted above - I thought it was pretty creamy due to the evaporated milk. However, it makes WAY more than 4 servings - more like 8, I'd say.

• patti43
    16 years ago

Glenda, when I read your recipe and becky's I noticed you both used evaporated milk. I surely will try it. I wish we could all meet at the Grits Cafe (and save room for dessert). You can Google it and see the menu.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I live in B'ham. Where is Forsyth? Is it close to Atlanta?

• patti43
    16 years ago

Glenda, Forsyth is about 60 miles south of Atlanta (more or less). Off I-75. Typical small lazy southern town. The restaurant is right across from the courthouse--and you know how pretty these courthouses are.

Losangeleswriter, I copied your crabmeat dip recipe--anything with butter, mayo and cream cheese has to be good. And I've been looking for a good hot crap dip.

Becky, you could put those grits in a martini glass for company. I'm going to try your recipe but leave out the tomato and green pepper and I think it'll be close to the Grits Cafe.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

I must confess to not liking grits much...or at least I think I don't. I only had them once while in Florida many moons ago and swear they tasted like wallpaper paste. However I do like polenta so maybe it was just a very bad order of grits. It was at an IHOP so maybe thats a clue ! LOL

Tyler cooked this recipe on his "Ultimate" show the other day and it looked awesome. Even this Canadian gal thinks she could manage to enjoy this dish!

PS: patti LOL on your looking for a hot crap dip!! Thanks for a much needed giggle!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tyler's Shrimp and Grits

• patti43
    16 years ago

Chase--if grits aren't cooked with salted water they're just terrible. You can't put enough salt on them afterward make them taste right. Oops, my bad on the crap dip. I'm skulking away now.

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Patti ...not your bad at all! It was a hoot of a typo....loved it!

• woodie
    16 years ago

Hey' we've had a recipe for crap cakes posted here, so why not crap dip? Thanks for all the recipes.

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Patti, I am a Yankee that married a Texan so had to learn to cook grits.......for the 2 of us, I pour into a saucepan 1c cold water, 1c cold milk, and 6T grits........Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes. I start all of my hot cereals in cold liquids and they are always very creamy.
    RL`

• patti43
    16 years ago

Thanks RL, we sometimes use all milk, but haven't tried half water and half milk. Do you use quick-cooking grits? Don't you salt the water?

• roselin32
    16 years ago

Patti, yes, I do use the Quaker Quick Grits and no, I don't salt the water. My husband eats them with butter, salt, and pepper so he salts them to his own taste. I like them with butter and brown sugar. (Eating them this way is as close to eating grits as I will go....LOL). I do like Cheese Grits too though.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors