Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shortyboom

LOOKING for: Indian Recipes

shortyboom
14 years ago

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone have any good Indian recipes? I'm looking for any appetizers, entrees, salads, and desserts.

Comments (8)

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

This recipe from Cooking Light is an old standby for me -- its an Indian Spiced Pork and Potato stew... Very tasty, and great for leftovers the next day too. Instead of the can of regular diced tomatoes that's in the recipe, I often replace that with a can of fire-roasted tomatoes instead, which I think gives it a little more depth of flavor...

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Spicd Pork and Potatoes.

• susytwo
    14 years ago

My uncle married a lovely woman of Indian descent and we spent an afternoon in her kitchen, where she taught me to make the following recipes. They are both delicious.

Red Lentil Dal

4 1/2 cups water
    2 cups dried red lentils
    2 tsp minced garlic
    2 tsp minced ginger
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    cayenne pepper to taste

1/2 onion, chopped
    1/2 tsp cumin seed

Rinse and rub lentils together in your hands in a bowl of water, changing the water until the water runs clear. Combine all ingredients, except for the chopped onion and cumin seed, in a large pot. Bring to boil, then cover and reduce to simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until all lentils are broken down. About 20-30 minutes.
    Melt some butter in a pan over medium heat and toast the cumin seed. Add the onions and saute until lightly browned. Add the onion mixture to the lentils and stir until evenly distributed. Serve with rice or pita wedges.

Curried Eggplant

1 eggplant, dry roasted in the oven, skinned and chopped.
    1 onion chopped
    1 tsp garam masala
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 jalapeno, diced
    salt to taste
    cayenne pepper to taste
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1 small tomato, chopped

In a large skillet, heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and saute half the chopped onion and the chopped tomato, until soft. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Heat thoroughly, and then serve over basmati rice.

• shortyboom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! The soup and eggplant recipe look delicious....and not too difficult to make.

• annova914
    14 years ago

This is an Indian dish we like. I make raita ahead of time and when the kima is ready, pop some frozen naan into my countertop oven to heat for a couple minutes. Ann

Kima (Indian meat dish)

1 Tbsp butter
    1 or 2 potatoes peeled & diced
    1 cup chopped onion
    Pinch of ground cumin
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1+ Tbsp curry powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 can diced tomatoes (a good brand like DelMonte or Muir Glen)
    Sprinkle of ground coriander
    1/4 - 1/2 cup marinara sauce
    Sugar (to taste and to cut acidity of tomato)
    Water - as much needed to thin
    1/2 cup Frozen peas, thawed
    Garlic powder (if needed)

Saute potatoes in butter in nonstick skillet for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add onion and saute onions for 5 minutes. Sprinkle a little cumin on onions. Add garlic and saute 1 minute, then add meat. Mash meat as it browns to break up into small pieces. Drain meat/onions mixture and return to skillet. Return potatoes to skillet. Salt and pepper and blend. Add curry powder.

Add tomatoes and their juice (mash tomatoes ahead of time to get extra juice). Sprinkle coriander. Add in a good marinara, then sugar to cut acidity. If thick, thin with a little water. Add garlic powder if desired. Simmer 20-25 minutes for flavors to blend and potatoes to soften. Add peas and simmer 5 minutes.

Serve with naan and raita.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I haven't tested these personally, but have a couple from this website on my list to try:

http://www.food-india.com/recipe/R001_025/R010.htm

It seems to explain things pretty clearly.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Good information for vegetarian Indian Recipes.

• ginger_st_thomas
    14 years ago

Here's one from Craig Claiborne that's good with seafood or chicken:
    CURRY SAUCE (about 1 1/2 cups)
    4 1/2 TBL butter
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/3 cup finely chopped onion
    1/3 cup finely chopped celery
    3 TBL chopped carrot
    2 TBL flour
    2 TBL curry powder
    1/2 bay leaf
    2 parsley sprigs
    2 thyme sprigs or 1/2 tsp dried (I use more of the dried)
    1 3/4 cup chicken stock
    Salt & pepper to taste
    Heat 3 TBL of the butter in a saucepan & add the garlic, onions, celery & carrot. Cook, stirring until the onions are wilted. Add the flour & cook, stirring about 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, bay leaf, parsley & thyme.
    Using a whisk, continue to stir briskly while adding the stock. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Put the mixture including the soft vegetables, through a fine sieve, using a wooden spoon. Swirl in the remaining butter by rotating the pan gently & add salt & pepper.~~

INDIAN CURRY SAUCE (about 2 cups & can be frozen)
    1 small onion, minced
    2 TBL vegetable oil
    3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed (about 1 TBL)
    1 TBL minced or grated fresh ginger
    1 TBL curry powder
    2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    4 tsp cornstarch
    1 tsp honey
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 TBL lemon juice
    Salt & pepper
    1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves (optional)

Cook the onion, oil, garlic, ginger & curry powder in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often until fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the broth & simmer until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 30 minutes.
    Whisk the cornstarch & honey into the cream until dissolved, then whisk the mixture into the simmering sauce. Simmer until the sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice & season with salt & pepper to taste.
    To Store: Let the sauce cool, uncovered at room temperature for 25 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container & refrigerate up to 4 days.
    To Serve: Warm the sauce in a small saucepan over medium-low heat or in the microwave on high power for 5-10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Season w/salt & pepper to taste & add the minced cilantro, if using.~~The Best Make-Ahead Recipe.

• countryrose
    14 years ago

Here is a link to one of my favorite blogs.
    I find the recipes easy to use and the taste is very authentic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Indian Cooking

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company