Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phill173

LOOKING for: Carrot and raisin pudding with hard sauce

phill173
15 years ago

When I was in college, my roomate shared a recipe for this with me, but it has long ago been misplaced. I would love to make it again for Christmas. Does anyone have a good recipe? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Scroll down for the updated recipe at the link below & see if it's similar to the one you lost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrot Pudding

• lindac
    15 years ago

I think that steamed puddings are really best made with suet. I remember my grandmother running suet through the meat grinder and then running a slice of bread through to get the last of the suet out.
    Unfortunatly I don't have her recipe...but frankly I doubt if she had a recipe, she just made it.
    This recipe seems most like her's because it's not very heavy with molasses and has no spices. She served it with a lemon sauce, made with butter, sugar and milk cooked for a few minutes and the rind and juice of 1/2 a lemon added....just half a lemon! "lemons are so dear" she would say. I suspect she made a lemon pie with the other half of the lemon!
    I love steamed puddings.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: steamed carrot pudding

• rusty_ns
    15 years ago

T&T Steamed Christmas Pudding

This recipe is very old and has been passed down threw the years. I remember my Grandmother serving it years ago and she would be 108 if she was here with us now. I'm sure its been altered along the way but is as good now as its ever been.
    ----------------------------------

Steamed Christmas Pudding

1 cup molasses
    1 cup finely chopped suet
    1 cup whole milk
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1 cup raisins
    1 cup ground carrots or can be substituted
    1 cup of mixed chopped green n red cherries.
    2 cups flour

Mix the molasses - suet and milk until blended.
    Then add the spices and fruit.
    Finally mix in the flour.
    Put the mixture in a 2 qt dish that can be steamed
    in a large pot of water for 2 hours. Dont peek during
    the steaming or the pudding drops and is solid hard.

Rum Sauce

1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    2 tbsp corn starch
    1 tbsp butter
    1 tsp vinegar
    2 tsp rum flavoring or real rum
    2 cups boiling water

Blend well together until it just boils and thickens
    serve hot over christmas pudding

Note:
    This pudding freezes very well. I made 4 yesterday to give to family. I put them in the large zip lock freezer bags. They now can freeze until christmas.
    Then just slice n nuke and serve with the sauce.

• dave_rider
    15 years ago

I made the recipe posted by rusty_ns for T&T Steamed Christmas Pudding two days ago. It's GONE! Wonderful.... I'm making it again tomorrow for more holiday friends!

For a bit of background, some time ago I spoke with my 80 y.o. mother and asked if there was anything she had not had in a long time that she'd like to have me make for her. She very quickly responded "My mother's carrot pudding." After considerable discussion with my mother, I did exhaustive web searches and finally came upon this recipe, which seems to be exactly the recipe my grandmother made for my mother and my mother's grandfather. The joke was that the grandfather absolutely hated carrots but loved the pudding (nobody ever told him it contained carrots!)...

My mother had not had this dish in over 60 years, since her mother passed away (unfortunately, I never knew her). The most difficult part was locating suet. I secured some and easily made this recipe. It was extraordinarily delicious and rich!!!!!!! I thought my mother was levitating when she first tasted it. She said it was EXACTLY what she remembered as a child. What a compliment! The look on her face was priceless.

I want to personally thank rusty_ns for providing this top-notch recipe. Believe me, not only do I thank you, but my 80 year old mother does, too! Bless you and thanks again!

Dave
    drdave19@bellsouth.net

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz