Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Good Old Fashion Sugar Cookies

Posted by brighty (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 0:50

I'm looking for a plain old fashion sugar cookie recipe like my grandma used to make. They were lightly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. And oh so good!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Good Old Fashion Sugar Cookies

Check out these threads from the Dessert Exchange, Brighty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Cookies

o

These are really super good Sugar Cookies and the recipe is older than me... so it's been around a really long time.

Butter Sugar Cookies
10 doz

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup Crisco Oil (use Crisco Oil!)
2 eggs
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. nutmeg * could substitute here with other spice or peel
4 cups flour

Mix in order listed. Chill 1 hour or overnight. Roll in balls; press flat with flat bottomed glass dipped in sugar. Bake 10 minutes in 375 oven.

Note: the thinner you press them the crisper they'll be.
PS: They don't roll-out at all.... way too soft a dough.

o

For soft, sugar coated/unfrosted sugar cookies I like to use this recipe:

SYLVIA'S SOUR CREAM COOKIES
1 1/2 CUPS SUGAR
1 CUP SHOTENING
2 EGGS, BEATEN WELL
1 TEASPOON SODA
1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
1 CUP SOUR CREAM
1/2 TEASPOON SALT
1 STEASPOON VANILLA
3 TO 4 CUPS FLOUR, ENOUGH FLOUR TO ROLL
1 TEASPOON MACE
ADDITIONAL SUGAR

Mix soda in sour cream; set aside. Mix baking powder into flour; set aside. Combine all ingredients. Chill dough a few hours or overnight. Roll out and use your favorite cookie cuters. (I like to make little hands or simple rounds.)
Sprinkle generiously with additional sugar and bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 degrees until lightly golden on bottem. These taste better with age.

For sugar cookies that I want to frost/decorate I always use the following recipe. It's a little more work - but produces a thick, cake-like cookie with a butter flavor. This is the best recipe I've found for cutting cookies!

TEA COOKIES
3 EGGS
1 CUP MELTED MARGARINE
1 CUP SUGAR
1 TEASPOONS VANILLA
2 TABLESPOONS BAKING POWDER
4 CUPS FLOUR
1/4 TEASPOON SALT

Beat egg whites till stiff. Beat yolks till creamy. Combine gently. Add melted margarine, sugar and vanilla. Beat. Sift the dry ingredients and work in. Chill. Roll abour 1/4 inch thick and cut as desired. Bake at 350 degrees on ungreased cookie sheet. Do not over bake! I like to frost them with a butter cream frosting.

o

Thank you all for your help. I can't wait to try these recipes. Think I'll start with Thanksgiving cookies and hopefully by Christmas I will have found that magic one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here