Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brighty1

LOOKING for: Good Old Fashion Sugar Cookies

brighty
16 years ago

I'm looking for a plain old fashion sugar cookie recipe like my grandma used to make. They were lightly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. And oh so good!

Comments (4)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Check out these threads from the Dessert Exchange, Brighty.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Cookies

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

These are really super good Sugar Cookies and the recipe is older than me... so it's been around a really long time.

Butter Sugar Cookies
    10 doz

1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 cup butter
    1 cup Crisco Oil (use Crisco Oil!)
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. cream of tartar
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg * could substitute here with other spice or peel
    4 cups flour

Mix in order listed. Chill 1 hour or overnight. Roll in balls; press flat with flat bottomed glass dipped in sugar. Bake 10 minutes in 375º oven.

Note: the thinner you press them the crisper they'll be.
    PS: They don't roll-out at all.... way too soft a dough.

• dinkans
    16 years ago

For soft, sugar coated/unfrosted sugar cookies I like to use this recipe:

SYLVIA'S SOUR CREAM COOKIES
    1 1/2 CUPS SUGAR
    1 CUP SHOTENING
    2 EGGS, BEATEN WELL
    1 TEASPOON SODA
    1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
    1 CUP SOUR CREAM
    1/2 TEASPOON SALT
    1 STEASPOON VANILLA
    3 TO 4 CUPS FLOUR, ENOUGH FLOUR TO ROLL
    1 TEASPOON MACE
    ADDITIONAL SUGAR

Mix soda in sour cream; set aside. Mix baking powder into flour; set aside. Combine all ingredients. Chill dough a few hours or overnight. Roll out and use your favorite cookie cuters. (I like to make little hands or simple rounds.)
    Sprinkle generiously with additional sugar and bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 degrees until lightly golden on bottem. These taste better with age.

For sugar cookies that I want to frost/decorate I always use the following recipe. It's a little more work - but produces a thick, cake-like cookie with a butter flavor. This is the best recipe I've found for cutting cookies!

TEA COOKIES
    3 EGGS
    1 CUP MELTED MARGARINE
    1 CUP SUGAR
    1 TEASPOONS VANILLA
    2 TABLESPOONS BAKING POWDER
    4 CUPS FLOUR
    1/4 TEASPOON SALT

Beat egg whites till stiff. Beat yolks till creamy. Combine gently. Add melted margarine, sugar and vanilla. Beat. Sift the dry ingredients and work in. Chill. Roll abour 1/4 inch thick and cut as desired. Bake at 350 degrees on ungreased cookie sheet. Do not over bake! I like to frost them with a butter cream frosting.

• brighty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I can't wait to try these recipes. Think I'll start with Thanksgiving cookies and hopefully by Christmas I will have found that magic one!