Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin24_gw

LOOKING for: Pound Cake

Erin24
18 years ago

I'm interested in a good pound cake recipe that can be made in mini loave pans. TIA

Comments (6)

• ann_t
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

David posted this Elvis Presley's Pound cake last year and I've made it a couple of times. It is the perfect pound cake.

The second recipe for the blueberry pound cake muffins can be made in small loaf pans too.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

====================================
    Posted by: lakeguy35 (My Page) on Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 23:50

Here is the recipe y'all, everyone I have shared this with loves it. I know there are alot of recipes floating around out there, but this one is my and many others favorite.

Janelle McComb,who was Elvis's friend from the time he was a boy in Tupelo Mississippi used to bake two loaves of this cake every Christmas and bring them to Graceland. On a good day, Elvis could eat one all by himself. He shared the other with his entourage.

ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
    1/2 pound of butter softened
    7 eggs room temperature
    3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
    1 cup heavy cream (not whipped)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Thoroughly butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating extemely well after each addition. Mix 1/2 half of the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour. Beat 5 full minutes. Add vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set in cold oven and turn temp to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour to 90 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool thoroughly. Wrapped well in foil, this cake keeps several days.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

====================================

Individual Blueberry-Coconut Pound Cake Muffins
    Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine

Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Easy
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 25 minutes
    Yield: 7 muffins
    User Rating:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons freshly grated Orange, lemon or lime zest
    2 large eggs
    5 tablespoons heavy cream
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
    1/2 cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and butter and flour 7 (1/2-cup) muffin cups (just butter if nonstick).

Beat together butter, sugar, and zest until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in cream, then flour and salt, on low speed until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup coconut and gently stir in blueberries.

Spoon batter into cups, filling the cups, and smooth tops. Sprinkle tops with remaining 3 tablespoons of coconut.

Bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out clean and edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Invert onto a rack and cool.

Episode#: SS1B25
    Copyright 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Just posted this in Cuffs054 give-away cakes thread:

THREE FLAVOR POUND CAKE
    1/2 cup shortening
    2 sticks butter, softened
    3 1/2 cups sugar
    5 eggs
    3 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp rum flavoring
    1 tsp coconut flavoring

Glaze:
    1/4 cup + 1 TBL water
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 300°. Grease & flour a Bundt pan (or your mini loaf pans.)
    Cream together the shortening, butter & sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Whisk together the flour & baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture alternately with the milk, beginning & ending with the flour. Beat in the rom & coconut flavoring. Pour into the prepared pan & bake 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours (less for mini pans.) Don't open the dorr more than necessary.
    Shortly before the cake is removed from teh oven, make the glaze by bringing the water & sugar to a rolling boil. Remove from the heat & add almond extract. Pour the hot mixture over the hot cake & let stand until cool. Remove from pan.~~ From Necessitites & Temptations.

You might like these also.
    BROWN SUGAR POUND CAKE
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
    1 1/2 cups butter, softened
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 cup sugar
    5 large eggs, room temperature
    3 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 cup milk, room temperature
    1 tsp vanilla

Grease & flour a 15 cup Bundt pan or 10" tube pan. Sprinkle pecan pieces on bottom of pan (or mini loaf pans.) In a large mixing bowl, cream butter & sugars, mixing well. Add eggs.

In a small bowl, combine flour & baking powder. In another small bowl, combine milk & vanilla. Add flour mixture & milk mixture alternately to the creamed mixture. Pour into prepared pan & bake in a preheated 325° oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Less time for mini pans.) Allow to cool in pan about 30 minutes, then remove.~~

WHIPPING CREAM POUND CAKE
    6 eggs, separated
    3 cups sugar, divided
    1 cup butter
    3 cups cake flour, sifted (measure then sift)
    1 cup whipping cream
    1 TBL vanilla
    1 tsp lemon juice

Beat whites with 3/4 cup sugar & set aside. Cream together remaining 2 1/4 cups sugar & butter. Add yolks, one at a time, beating well. Add flour, alternating with whipping cream. Add vanilla & lemon jjuice. Fold in egg white mixture. Pour into a greased & floured 10" tube pan. Place in a cold oven & bake at 325° for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours (less for mini pans.)~~
    Lemon variation: add 1 tsp lemon extract; glaze with 1/2 cup milk, juice of 1 lemon, 1 1/4 cups sugar.
    Almond variation: add 1 tsp almond extract; glaze with 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/3 cup water, 1/2 tsp almond extract.~~Food for Thought

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Ginger, I just knew the cream was going to make it in here somewhere. LOL

The brown sugar one sounds just like something I'd like, I'm copying and pasting.

Annie

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Naturally! I'm still doing my best for the dairy industry.

• lakeguy35
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting Ann!!

LOL @ Ginger!

David

• msazadi
    18 years ago

A man at work brought his poundcake to our last big luncheon, and this recipe sounds like it's very close. I only remember he used 3c of 'flower'. Every woman there wanted the recipe, which I have...at work! lol

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
    1 (8 oz) package cream cheese (recommended: Philadelphia brand)
    3 cups sugar
    6 large eggs
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly butter a 10-inch tube pan, and line the bottom with parchment paper; set aside. (note: I didn't have any parchment paper - it worked ok without)

Combine butter and cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar, increase the speed to high, and beat until light and airy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the vanilla, then the flour and salt all at once. Beat just until incorporated.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and shake lightly to even out the top. Bake until cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the cake comes out clean, 1 hour 15 minutes.

Place the pan on a cooling rack, and cool for 20 minutes. Remove cake from pan, and let cool completely. Serve at room temperature.