Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annova914

LOOKING for: Marinade for flank steak

annova914
15 years ago

I bought a flank steak today at Wegman's and am looking for a good marinade (haven't grilled flank steak in several years). Any suggestions? Thanks :) Ann

Comments (9)

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

DANIEL BOULUD'S MARINADE FOR BEEF (about 3/4 cup)
    1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or green onions
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    2 TBL red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 TBL olive oil
    1 TBL minced garlic
    1 TBL cracked or coarsely ground pepper
    1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
    1/2 tsp sugar

Combine all ingredients in a flat dish & add meat, such as flank steak. Let stand 30 minutes, turning the meat occasionally. Cook the meat.~~Craig Claiborne

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

1 bottle kikkoman teriyaki sauce 1/2 cup brown sugar 3 cloves minced garlic 1 tsp balack pepper easy delicious...place in a ziplock marinate up to 24 hours

• roselin32
    15 years ago

I mix Italian dressing with soy sauce and teriyaki sauce and we love it.
    RL`

• lindac
    15 years ago

I dump on some dry red wine, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic ( smack it with a chef's knife) and some thyme and marjoram and salt.
    I never could figure out why some marinaded have olive oil in them...I brush it on the meat before grilling, if the meat's very lean.
    Linda C

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Both Nancy's Backwood Flank Steak and Bubbe's Marinated Flank Steak (both ladies are regular posters on the Cooking Forum) are great recipes, really great recipes!

Backwoods Flank Steak- Nancy (aka Wizrdnm)

3/4 C soy sauce
    1/3 C Pickapeppa Sauce (a mild hot sauce)
    1/3 C worcestershire sauce
    1/4 C red wine
    1/4 C red wine vinegar
    1 1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed

2 flank steaks (about 2 1/2 lbs total)

Combine the marinade ingredients in a container large enough to hold the steaks. Add the steakes and refrigerate 6 to 24 hrs...

Nancy

Marinated Flank Steak (Renee aka Bubbe)

Source: My own recipe since the late 1970Âs.
    Ingredients:
    2 Â3 Lb. Flank steak
    For Marinade:
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup tomato juice
    1/2 cup light soy sauce
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    2 scallions, sliced (optional)
    Preparation:
    Â In a large bowl, whisk first 4 ingredients together.
    Â Add remaining ingredients and stir.
    Â Have butcher trim flank steak of all excess fat and silverskin.
    Â Pound steak slightly on both sides, and with a sharp knife score surface shallowly on the diagonal in one direction and then in the opposite direction, creating a diamond pattern on both side.
    Â Place in marinade and turn every so often to marinate evenly.
    Â Refrigerate overnight if possible. Alternatively, marinate at room temperature for two hours and cook or refrigerate until ready to cook.

To cook:
    Â Remove from refrigerator one hour before cooking, drain and blot off excess marinade
    Â Drain and discard marinade
    Â Grill on barbecue or cook under broiler about 4 1/2 to 6 minutes on each side (depending on thickness) for medium rare. Do not overcook.
    Â Let stand 2-3 minutes before slicing across the grain at a slanted angle.

Be sure to slice all before cold, even if expecting leftovers, because it will not slice as well when cold.

• annova914
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! These are wonderful :) I did the Italian dressing, soy sauce, teriyaki one because that's what I had on hand but I've copied all these recipes and will use them in the near future...these are great for more than steak too. Ann

• bgmth
    14 years ago

My best friend has a 20 year old one of these and lost the recipe for meat marinade that came with it. If anyone has it, please share. The main ingredients were; 1/4 c soy sauce, 1/4 c red wine vinegar, 1/4 c oil and 1/4 c Catsup. She thinks it also had Worcesteshire. Thanks!!

GB

• aunt-tootie
    14 years ago

GB,
    I have a marinade recipe for venison from Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book, 1981 edition, that is similar to what your friend had except for the soy sauce...

1/4 cup wine vinegar (I use red wine vinegar)
    1/4 cup cooking oil
    1/4 cup catsup
    1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    dash pepper

Combine ingredients and pour over 1 pound of venison chops or steaks (I have used tenderloin) in a plastic bag. Marinate in the refrigerator 6 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Drain meat, reserving marinade. Broil meat for 6-8 minutes, brush with some of the marinade, turn and broil to desired doneness. Heat remaining marinade and serve with meat.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

I read this recently and thought you might find it interesting. I have some cheap steak in the fridge marinating in yogurt-- I'm excited to see how it looks when I get home.

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/marinades-flavor-tenderize.aspx

Sponsored
District Floor Depot
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Quality Hardwood Flooring Retailer in the Greater DC Area