Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresafic_gw

recipe: looking for: golden yam bisque soup

theresafic
16 years ago

I ate at Sweet Tomatoes tonight (Chain restaurant featuring soup and salad.)

I had some Golden Yam Bisque Soup which was really delicious. The ingredients listed were: Yams, corn and red onions. It was creamy probably had some milk/cream in it but not much. Anyone have a recipe or does anyone know of a website with knock off Sweet Tomatoes recipes? I tried several searches but did not come up with anything.

Thanks a lot,

Theresa

Comments (13)

• eileenlaunonen
    16 years ago

Ive looked in a couple of my books but didnt see anything similar to that,sorry

• lindac
    16 years ago

I don't have a copycat recipe and didn't taste the one you are trying to copy, but I am sure I could wing a yam bisque...but think I would rather leave out the corn.
    Linda C

• theresafic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

Linda, I don't have to have corn in the soup. I just thought it was an unusual enough ingredient it might trigger a memory of something similar.

There are a lot of yam recipes out there and I am not sure how to choose one. I would appreciate your yam recipe.

Thanks,

Theresa

• lindac
    16 years ago

I would do as follows
    Sautee
    4 or 5 green onions, tops too, cut fine
    in
    2 T fat...half butter and half olive oil.
    When soft but not brown add a crushed clove of garlic and 2 T flour.
    Whisk and cook about 30 seconds and slowly whisk in a can of chicken broth.
    Simmer about 3 minutes and add 2/3 cup mashed yams or sweet potatoes...canned or baked.
    A hand held blendr works well here.
    When all is hot, add 1 1/2 cups milk and 2 oz cream cheese...stir and heat until smooth and add about 1/2 a can of chopped green chilis, drained, 1/2 teaspoon of ground mild chili powder...a pinch of ground cumin ( unless it's in your chili powder)...taste for salt....serve topped with chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream.
    Linda C

• theresafic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda,

Thanks for taking the time to post a recipe. I appreciate it.

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I came across this recipe in my "Moosewood Lowfat Favorites" cookbook. You could add cream to it to make it richer.

Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup

1 cup finely chopped onion
    2 minced garlic cloves
    1 small fresh chili, seeded and minced
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock I guess, I dunno, I'm a vegetarian)
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    1 med. sweet potato, diced (about 2 cups) Can use a yam I'm sure.
    1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    3 cups frozen corn or fresh corn
    salt to taste

Garnish with lime wedges and finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves.

In coverd soup pot, simmer the onions, garlic, chile, and salt in 1 cup of the vegetable stock for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft. In a small bowl, make a paste with the cumin and 1 TBLSP of the stock, stir into the pot and simmer for another 1-2 min. Add the sweet potato and the remaining stock and simmer for about 10 min until the sweet potatoes soften. Add the bell pepper and corn, simmer covered for another 10 min, or until all the vegetables are tender.

Puree half the soup in a blender or food processor (or use a stick blender, I love mine for this!). Return puree to the pot. The soup will be creamy and thick. Add salt to taste and gently reheat on low.

For more of a bisque I think you could puree the whole batch. I make squash soup like this and I like mine a little hotter with more chili. I'd be tempted to make this as is and then add a dollop of cream fraiche or sour cream at serving time.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Sounds good....but I would add about 1/4 teaspoon of cumin and taste and then add another 1/4 teaspoonsful.
    2 teaspoons sounds like way too much for me as cumin can be pretty assertive.
    Linda C

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Well, it's a nonfat recipe, and in general nonfat recipes have more spices in them because fat carries flavor, so without it you have to use more spices. I love cumin. I use at least one tsp. cumin in my chili batches. But if you don't like cumin then I could see limiting it. However, cumin is really the star so if you don't like cumin then I'd either not make this recipe or sub something eles. I think ginger would be an acceptable substitute. I like spicy soups, but if you don't then start with the smaller amounts and then add more to your taste. A lot depends on how fresh your spices are too.

• theresafic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipe, lpink. I think I will try it. I'd rather make a soup without milk anyway. I love cumin. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Theresa

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I've never made this particular soup but I do cook a lot from that book and most of the recipes I like, the other soups I've tried have been good. But that is my taste, which tends to be on the adventurous side, so bear that in mind.

I make a sweet potato salad with the same vegetables, but for that I use a sweet and sour dressing and cilantro. Again, that's my taste, I am also a cilantro lover! Some folks I know don't like it, think it tastes soapy. You can always sub parsley.

• tocicely_cox_net
    16 years ago

Theresa,
    I too am looking for the imfamous sweet tomatoes Yam bisque. I had it a few weeks ago and it was some of the most delicious soup Ive ever had..soup/bique..Im not a guru..I just tried googling it LOL>..maybe between us we'll find something exceptionally close. I dont want to compromise any of the ingredients either. Let me know what you find...Yam bisque would be a lovely addition to the thanksgiving table!..cheers..Mayvee

• theresafic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay Mayvee! Wasn't it fantastice soup! I am still looking for the recipe and if I find it I'll let you know.

Happy Thanksgiving

Theresa

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

Linda C: thanks for posting your impromptu recipe. I made it last night using Butternut Squash and my own frozen, roasted Pablanos. DH proclaimed it a "keeper".

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations