Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Tasty Holiday Fruit Cookies

Posted by shadowofodin (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 21:56

My sister sent me a recipe the other day suggtesting that I use it for my upcoming Christmas get together. It was a recipe for Holiday cookies. I tried the recipe and was very impressed, not only at the taste but also at how simple they were considering the outcome. Anyway, the recipe was from a small blog called Living the Gourmet at livingthegourmet.blogspot.com

1 stick butter (softened)
3 cups flour
zest of 1 lemon
zest of 1 orange
1 egg
1 cup sugar
baking soda
tsp nutmeg
1 cup butter milk
1 tsp orange juice
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

Filling:

Favorite jam or preserve.

Preheat oven 375 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients, flour, nutmeg, sugar, and baking soda.

In separate bowl combine wet ingredients, buttermilk, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, egg, orange juice, and zests. Mix.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Mold into ball and pat with flour. Wrap in kitchen towel and put in refrigerator over night.

Next day.

Cut into four pieces, take one piece and place remaining pieces back in refrigerator. Mold piece into ball, flour surface of work area, and roll out not too thin. Cut out circles (using cap of 30-ounce mayonnaise jar is perfect for cutting circles).

Place circles on non-stick cookie sheet. Fill middle of circles with about teaspoon jam, then pinch closed.

Bake for about 10 minutes. Let cool, then dust with powdered sugar.

Enjoy!

HOpe you like it, I know I do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Tasty Holiday Fruit Cookies

I bet these would be quite pretty on a mixed cookie plate. I think I'll try them..... maybe with the older grandkids.

o

How do you pinch them closed? Do you gather the dough from all around and pinch at the top, or do you fold them over and pinch a half-moon edge? What are they shaped like after baking?

Thanks!

o

I was wondering the same thing, seagrass.

o
Follow-up

Aha! I went to the original website and found a picture. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Living The Gourmet Blog

o

As far as 'pinching' them closed, I wasn't really sure about that either, so I just went by the picture and sort of 'pinched' the top closed. I didn't gather the dough, but rather just shut the tops.

I guess it could really be done either way, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here