Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hidesertfox

LOOKING for: Broccoli Salad with raisins

hidesertfox
17 years ago

Hi, everyone! I've been reading these wonderful recipes and have made several of them - which were great! The WFD forum and this one have seriously re-inspired me.

I saw a recipe for a broccoli salad that included raisins and for the life of me, I can't find it. I did a search, and still could not find it. I'm pretty new to these forums and still trying to navigate my way through them. :)

If anyone knows what recipe I am referring to, would you please be so kind as to direct me in the right direction as to where to find it? I had something similar at a potluck luncheon recently, and thought it was sooooo good!

Thank you in advance! :-)

Cheryl

Comments (16)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I like this with a lot less bacon....about 1/2 as much.
    But it's a good salad.
    1 bunch fresh broccoli, washed, drained, broken into flowerettes
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1 lb. bacon fried crisp, drained, and crumbled
    1/2 c. hulled sunflower seeds
    1/2 c. raisins

DRESSING:

3/4 c. mayonnaise
    1/4 c. sugar
    2 tbsp. vinegar

Combine salad ingredients together in large bowl; set aside. Combine dressing ingredients together thoroughly. Pour dressing over salad ingredients; stir to blend. Serve chilled.
    Linda C

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's the one! Thank you, lindac - very much appreciated.

• mist_of_the_morning
    17 years ago

I have used a variation of the broccoli salad with raisins recipe. Instead of the whole bunch of broccoli I used half a bunch of broccoli and half a head of cauliflower. Also substitute the sunflower seeds with pecan pieces. It is a very tasty salad.

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That one sounds good, too. A nice variety of color! The one I had at the luncheon had coarsely chopped cashews in it - my family loves pecans and cashews. I've been looking for a tried and true alternative to the leafy green salad for Thanksgiving dinner, just to be different for once in waaaay too long, lol! :-)

• lindac
    17 years ago

I make a version of a Waldorf salad...but use 1/2 pears and 1/2 apples and a raspberry vinaigrette...
    I'm not at home so I don't have it here....
    If you are interested, remind me next week.
    Linda C

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

I make a variation on LincaC's salad by adding chopped apples and chopped celery. I used Miracle Whip Lite and a little sugar instead of mayo and vinegar. I don't use much bacon and often substitute nuts for the seeds. Also, the golden raisins seem better in this salad--just a matter of preference.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Don't forget, too, that if you peel them the stems are just as usable as the florettes.

Given the price of broccoli nowadays, I hate to see those stems going to waste.

• dgkritch
    17 years ago

Mine is the same as Linda C's except no seeds.

My mom makes one very similiar and adds a can of mandarin oranges. Mmmm..
    Deanna

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for your responses! gardenlad, I actually prefer the stems to the florettes, although the florettes do add a pretty addition to this salad. :-) I will definitely cut back on the bacon, and I like the idea of the golden raisins.

This salad will be on our table for Thanksgiving dinner - I know it will be a hit. With the weather still being on the warm side, it will be nice to have a cool and crunchy side dish.

I am overwhelmed here with dishes that I am dying to try!

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

I love this Broccoli Salad, sans the seeds, and use Orange Flavored Dried Cranberries in place of raisins and I add a heavy cup of coarsly chopped Cashews too. I am not a fan of Canberry Sauce and so serve this at TG dinner and it makes a very pretty salad.

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, my....so many wonderful sounding variations to choose from! msafirstein, the orange flavored dried cranberries sound like a wonderful substitute for raisins. Thank you all for your suggestions. I suppose I will have to make variations of this salad throughout the year - they all sound so delicious, and so pretty on the table. :)

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

I plan to make this salad for Thanksgiving also. Our family loves it so much, why only make it in the summer? I will use red onion, dark raisins, thawed frozen peas, and maybe pecans with orange muscat champagne vinegar in the dressing. Yum!

• hidesertfox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I made this broccoli salad for Thanksgiving - it was so very good! Thank you all for responding to my first post here. :-)

I used less bacon, substituted half the broccoli with cauliflower, went ahead with the gold raisins, and chopped cashews. I also used sliced red onion, after soaking it in ice water for a few minutes to mellow the flavor.

I had dark raisins and would have used them if they hadn't turned into miniature hockey pucks in the back of the pantry. :-O

It was a great salad - a very nice alternative to the leafy greens, and everyone just loved it.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Here is a similar one using grapes instead of raisins. Cashews could be used instead of almonds.

Broccoli Salad
    1 bunch Broccoli cut into small pieces
    1 cup Green Onions thinly sliced
    1 cup Celery very small pieces
    1 cup Red Seedless Grapes halved
    1 cup Green Seedless Grapes halved
    1 cup toasted slivered Almonds
    1/2 lb cooked crumbled Bacon

Mix together with this dressing:
    1 cup Mayonaise
    1/3 cup Sugar
    1 T vinegar

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Bump for Memorial Day menus

• angier_2007
    16 years ago

When I make this salad I like to par-boil the broccoli. I can eat more of it that way. I have used the Broccoli Slaw to make it too.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio