Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hanart_gw

LOOKING for: Dumplings (for Chicken & Dumplings)

HanArt
18 years ago

I usually make chicken noodle soup with leftover roasted chicken, but wanted to use up the buttermilk today so made buttermilk dumplings. Tried Sara Mouton's recipe. They were good, but nothing special. Her recipe uses butter, no egg. My old recipe called for shortening, something I never keep in the house anymore.

How do you make dumplings? Shortening, butter, eggs, herbs?

Comments (13)

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Cindy here are the recipes for the three types of dumplings I make. The Regular Dumplings and the Parsley Bread Dumplins are great in both

and
    . I use butter but no eggs.

-------------------------------------
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 Tablespoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons shortening(butter/margarine or crisco
    3/4 to 1 cup of milk

Mix dry ingredients and cut in shortening. Add enough milk to make a soft wet dough. Drop by tablespoon on to the top of stew and cover and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.

--------------------------------------

2 cups flour
    3 Tablespoons butter
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    pinch of baking powder
    Milk

Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter. Add enough milk to make a soft dough. Knead for a minute until smooth and let sit for 1/2 hour. Roll out dough to desired thickness. Dough should be on the thin side. Cut into 1/2 inch strips, 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

Drop into boiling stew and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until noodles are cooked.

=======================
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 slices white bread, quartered
    1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup milk
    4 tablespoons butter, melted
    Combine parsley and bread in processor; whirl until medium
    size crumbs. Add 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; process just until combined. Add 1/2 cup milk and butter; process using on-off pulses just until blended. 5 Drop mounded tablespoons of dumpling mixture into stew.

• pat_t
    18 years ago

I'm assuming you want the southern-style "slick" dumplings.

MOM'S CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS

1 stewing chicken or hen
    1 tsp. Garlic salt
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    3 large eggs
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. pepper

Cook hen in pressure cooker with lots of salt and MSG, plus 1 teaspoon garlic salt. (If you don't use MSG, just omit it). Cover chicken with water and close. Place 15-lb. weight on top and cook over medium-high heat. When the weight starts "popping" 2 to 3 times a minute, cook 15 minutes. Cool the chicken and de-bone.
    Mix flour, salt, 1/2 tsp. MSG and a little less than 1/2 tsp. baking powder. Blend eggs with 1-1/4 Cup *cooled* chicken stock from pot (1/3 of it should be fat). Stir into flour a little at a time. On flour-covered board, knead dough and roll it out till thinner than a nickel. Cut dumplings (about 2 inches wide by 10 inches, or however long possible). Stack well-floured dumplings onto plate.
    In large pot, bring the rest of the stock to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the chunks of chicken alternately with the dumplings; quickly pushing them below the surface of the liquid as you add them. DON'T FOLD THE DUMPLINGS!
    Keep mixture boiling at all times. Lower heat; cover and cook for 12-15 minutes. Don't lift the lid for the first 10 minutes. Add 1 tsp. pepper to broth. You might need to add additional stock during the cooking process. Yield: 6 servings.

Note: This is Vicki BraunÂs recipe.

• annie1992
    18 years ago

My dumpling recipe is similar to Ann T's "regular dumpling" recipe. I normally use shortening when making dumplings, but have used butter in a pinch. I also add some herbs to mine sometimes, just for a change of pace, whatever I have on hand that sounds good.

Annie

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

My cousin's recipe for the slick-style dumplings is my favorite. It is like Ann's Southern-style dumplings but uses water instead of milk.

It's odd, but growing up I only experienced the puffy type of dumplings. It was when I was an adult that I had my cousin Pat's dumplings at a family reunion and fell in love with the slick type. I roll them thin and cut into 1-inch squares with a pizza cutter. I drop them into simmering chicken broth seasoned with a lot of poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook 10 minutes with the lid off, then 10 minutes with the lid on. After the dumplings are cooked I add in the cooked chicken pulled/cut into largish pieces and let the pot sit covered for a few minutes to reheat the chicken.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

Teresa, it was the same for me. I grew up with the fluffy kind. In fact my mom made them using Bisquick. But my grandmother who lived next door made them from scratch. Those were my favourite. It wasn't until we moved to Grand Rapids that I had my first Southern Dumpling, made by a friend from Alabama. Sharon (Chase) calls them Sliders. Which I think is the perfect name for them.

Ann

• HanArt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susie sent me noodles from Pennsylvania that were like sliders. Can't remember what they were called. I might try one of the versions here next time. The fluffy dumplings are almost too doughy for my taste. They remind me of gnocchi.

• ann_t
    18 years ago

You must be doing something wrong than Cindy because the fluffy dumplings should not be anything at all like a gnocchi. If anything they would be more like a light fluffy biscuit without the crust.

• HanArt
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ann, well maybe that was a slight exaggeration, but don't forget I don't care for biscuits either.

Oh, and those noodles Susie sent were pot pie noodles.

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

I only like the slider type of dumplings so I usually use Pillsbuy biscuits. I roll out the biscuits as thin as possible, cut into strips, then stretch them even thinner before dunking in boiling broth.

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Did you ever try flour tortillas as dumplings? Just cut them up in squares and place in simmering broth, 10 minutes with the lid off and 10 minutes with the lid on. Pretty good for fast dumplings. I bet I would like your Pillsbury biscuit dumplings, too, Beverly.

• earl
    18 years ago

I made these, they're great.

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Dumplings

Ingredients:
    2 C Flour
    2 tsp Baking Powder
    1/2 tsp Salt
    1 C whole Milk
    4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil

Preparation:
    Mix above ingredients, blend them well and turn out on to a floured surface.
    Knead 4 or five times and divide dough into two parts. Roll out one piece
    of dough to 1/8" thick and cut into 1"x1 1/2" strips. Place into a large
    sauce pan that you have place 8 cups of water and 3 chicken bouillon cubes
    that has been brought to boil and the bouillon cubes have been dissolved.
    Cook 1 half of dumplings until just about done and strain and set aside.
    Next finish the other half of the dumplings in the same way. While cooking
    the dumplings you can prepare the sauce.

Dumpling Sauce

3 Tbsp Butter
    4 Tbsp Flour
    1/4 tsp Salt
    1 C Whole Milk
    2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes (crumbled)
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/2 -3/4 C Dumpling Cooking Liquid (after dumplings have been cooked)

Place butter in medium sauce pan and melt, add salt and flour, stir until
    thick. Mix sugar with milk, and add to flour mixture a little at a time
    and stir constantly with a whisk until thick and smooth. Remove from heat.
    Place cooked dumplings in dumpling sauce and add 1/2 cups of cooking liquid
    in which the crumbled chicken bouillon cubes have been added and stir gently,
    Simmer dumplings until blended on low heat. More cooking liquid may be added
    if needed.

• clcarter
    16 years ago

I am looking for a creamy sauce that my Mom made with thin dumpling when I was little. Mom passed away before being able to pass it on to me. I can make the thin dumplings, but I cannot recreate the thick creamy sauce she made. If anyone can help I would appreciate it as the longer she is gone the more I want the recipe.

Thank you,

Carol

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Carol, when I make my chicken and sliders the "sauce" is quite thick and creamy. I'm not sure it is what you are after but here is what I do.

I simmer the chicken with celery, carrots, onion, bay leaf, salt, pepper and water for a good long time. I then strain it all so I am left with a nice broth. The noodles/dumplings cook in this broth.

When I make my noodles/dumplings/sliders I leave a good amount of flour on them. This tends to thicken the broth to a sauce like/gravy like consistency. I add lots of salt and pepper and sometimes thyme. The result is noodles /dumplings in a very thick gravy.

Alternatively you can thicken the broth with a slurry of broth and flour and then add the sliders. Again salt and pepper liberally.

All this to say the sauce is really just the thickened up, and seasoned, broth the chicken was cooked in.

Now I want winter!!! OK no I don't I just want Chicken and Sliders! LOL