Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Suggestion for Food Gift

Posted by blueheron (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 20:41

We live in a retirement community and today the Grounds guy removed up a shrub(needed a front end loader to do it) for us and I would like to thank him with a gift of food.

I love to bake and have lots of things that I could make ordinarily, but he is quite overweight and I don't think I should give him something calorie-laden Does anybody have any suggestions for a home-made food gift that is healthful?

(Is there such a thing???)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Suggestion for Food Gift

How about something like an oatmeal bread? or fruit muffins

Cooking Light's Lemon Blueberry muffins
If you're using frozen blueberries, there's no need to thaw them before adding to the batter. In fact, they work best when still frozen.
1 1/2 Cups AP Flour
1/2 Cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 Cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup blueberries
1 Cup buttermilk
3 Tbsp melted butter/margarine
1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray, 1 Tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Light spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour and next five ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl. Stir in blueberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, rind, and egg, stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stir just until moist.
3. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray, sprinkle evenly with 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from pans immediately, place on a wire rack to cool. (my oven does these 375 degrees, 14 minutes

Dartmouth oatmeal bread....
Proof 1 packet of dry yeast with 2 Tsp sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water.
Stir 1 cup of rolled oats ( not instant!) into 2 cups of boiling water
Add 2 Tablespoons shortening ( I use crisco.....but bet originally they used lard)
1/2 cup dark molasses
Mix and cool
Add the yeast mix to the oatmeal mix.
Add 5 or so cups of bread flour and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, cover loosley let rise until double....punch down....let rise again....shape into 2 loaves, let rise until double and bake at 350 50 or 60 minutes!

o
RE: RECIPE: Suggestion for Food Gift

Low sugar recipes with whole grains and nuts with healthy oils and protein might be appreciated. Remember, he still needs energy and protein to do this type of work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here