Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamplanter

RECIPE: Suggestion for Food Gift

blueheron
11 years ago

We live in a retirement community and today the Grounds guy removed up a shrub(needed a front end loader to do it) for us and I would like to thank him with a gift of food.

I love to bake and have lots of things that I could make ordinarily, but he is quite overweight and I don't think I should give him something calorie-laden Does anybody have any suggestions for a home-made food gift that is healthful?

(Is there such a thing???)

Comments (2)

• lindac
    11 years ago

How about something like an oatmeal bread? or fruit muffins

Cooking Light's Lemon Blueberry muffins
    If you're using frozen blueberries, there's no need to thaw them before adding to the batter. In fact, they work best when still frozen.
    1 1/2 Cups AP Flour
    1/2 Cup yellow cornmeal
    1/2 Cup sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 cup blueberries
    1 Cup buttermilk
    3 Tbsp melted butter/margarine
    1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    Cooking spray, 1 Tbsp sugar
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    2. Light spoon the flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour and next five ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium bowl. Stir in blueberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, rind, and egg, stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stir just until moist.
    3. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray, sprinkle evenly with 1 Tbsp sugar. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the muffins from pans immediately, place on a wire rack to cool. (my oven does these 375 degrees, 14 minutes

Dartmouth oatmeal bread....
    Proof 1 packet of dry yeast with 2 Tsp sugar in 1/2 cup of warm water.
    Stir 1 cup of rolled oats ( not instant!) into 2 cups of boiling water
    Add 2 Tablespoons shortening ( I use crisco.....but bet originally they used lard)
    1/2 cup dark molasses
    Mix and cool
    Add the yeast mix to the oatmeal mix.
    Add 5 or so cups of bread flour and knead until smooth. Place in a greased bowl, cover loosley let rise until double....punch down....let rise again....shape into 2 loaves, let rise until double and bake at 350 50 or 60 minutes!

• chervil2
    11 years ago

Low sugar recipes with whole grains and nuts with healthy oils and protein might be appreciated. Remember, he still needs energy and protein to do this type of work.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County