Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

LOOKING for: sloppy joes

vacuumfreak
16 years ago

I know this is just kind of an informal thing that everyone wings, BUT how do you make your sloppy joes? Also, what kind of bread/bun do you use with them?

Comments (9)

• KatieC
    16 years ago

I hope you get lots of replies, we like sloppy joes. I've tried several recipes and winged it, but they like it made with a packet of sloppy joe seasoning best...go figure. I add diced onion, green peppers and sliced black olives.

I usually get onion rolls from the grocery store bakery.

• indicanoe
    16 years ago

Well just the other day I was told by my fiance that I should make them every night...I'm not sure if I should be flattered or concerned. I usually use one can of the mix, shh, and then add extra brown sugar, ketchup and mustard, worcestershire sauce, and a little red wine vinegar. I use either ground turkey or ground beef. Let it all simmer for as long as you can. I have a recipe for the crockpot, and use that for my extra ingredients. I serve them on toasted portuguese rolls, yum!! If you would like exact measurements and such, let me know I will post the crockpot recipe.

• kaelkriver
    16 years ago

We enjoy these and it freezes very well -

Sloppy Joes

1 ½ lb of hamburger
    1 small onion, chopped
    ¾ cup chopped celery
    Brown the above and drain
    Add:

2 tbsp vinegar
    2 tbsp of molasses
    2 tbsp of brown sugar
    ½ tsp (or more to taste) of Worcheshire sauce
    salt, pepper, and garlic to taste
    yellow mustard
    Big glop of ketchup
    1 cup of water

Mix and simmer on low until thickened

• labmomma
    16 years ago

I make a very easy recipe of my mother's:

Pick a meat - 3lb piece
    You can use an inexpensive cut of beef or pork roast.
    1/2 c. cider vinegar
    1/4 c. sugar
    3 T. Dijon mustard
    2 jars chili sauce

Combine vinegar and sugar till sugar dissolves then add dijon. Pour over meat and add chili sauce. Crock pot 4 to 6 hours. Remove meat from crockpot and drain fat. Shred and return meat to crockpot. Keep warm until serving.

On a busy night I have used leftover cooked chicken which I shred. Combine sauce ingredients and cook for 10-15 minutes on the stove top. Add shredded cooked chicken and cook until heated through.

This sauce works well on cooktop with ground beef or turkey. Use 2 lbs of ground meat and 1 medium chopped onion sauteed with some salt and pepper in large skillet. Drain fat from ground beef. Return to pan. Pour sauce over, cover and let simmer low heat on stove till serving.

Very simple, versatile and tastes good as well.

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

I like that recipe a glop of ketchup. I have recipes similar from my mother. One say's a hunk of butter. Glenda

• noniluvshayden
    16 years ago

My family loves this recipe

1 lb. ground meat
    1/2 cup chili sauce
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 T. worchestshire
    1/3 cup water

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

My family loves Spoonburgers:

1 lb Ground Beef
    2/3 c Chopped Onion
    1 tb Mustard
    1 cn Condensed Chicken Gumbo Soup
    1-2 tb Catsup or a big glob
    1/8 ts Pepper
    1/2 ts Salt
    1/4 c Water

Brown meat and onion. Drain off fat if desired. Add other ingredents, Stir over low heat in a skillet for 30 minutes. Serve on buns... May also add garlic to taste.

• shaun
    16 years ago

I've made this a zillion times and it's excellent!

1-1/2 lbs ground beef

1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1 cup water

1 cup ketchup

2 Tbsp firmly packed brown sugar

6 hot dog buns

In 10-inch skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat; drain.
    Stir in remaining ingredients, except buns. Bring to a boil over high heat.
    Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Serve on hot dog buns so you don't lose the filling!

• colo_lady
    16 years ago

This is my mom's recipe and I haven't ever had any better. (I now use ground turkey since I don't eat red meat.)

Sloppy Joes

1/2 C diced celery
    1 med onion, diced
    1-1/2 lbs ground beef
    2 Tbsp brown sugar
    1 Tbsp vinegar
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 C ketchup/catsup
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    Salt to taste

Sauté celery and onion in butter until cooked. Add ground beef. Cook over medium flame until browned. Drain fat. Add all other ingredients. Simmer over low flame for 45-60 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Serve on bun with several napkins!