Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dspen_gw

RECIPE: Nut filled crescent rolls

dspen
9 years ago

Hi all, when I was a young girl, my mom would get together with other neighboring ladies and bake for weddings, bridal showers, etc.

Keep in mind we lived in a rural farm area with lots of Czech, Hungarian, Bohemia families.

One of the baked goods I remembered was crescent rolls filled with a nut filling. These were so buttery and delicious. They took forever to make. It seemed to me it was a several day event.

Does anyone here have an old recipe for these nut rolls?

I would be forever grateful.

Thanks

Diane

Comments (25)

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Did they taste like a croissant, but with a filling?

• dspen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No Iris gal, it was more of a butter cookie, flaky, nut filling with powder sugar sprinkled over it.

Diane

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Are you possibly talking about rugelach?

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Or potica?

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I have a recipe in my cookbook: America's Best Lost Recipes, that sounds like what you are describing. It is a flaky croissant with a nut filling. The dough is rolled on a work surface covered with confectioners' sugar. They are called Hungarian Sweet Rolls. The only place I could find the recipe online (without ordering the cookbook) was on the Taste of Home website. Does this sound like your roll?

• dspen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

I don't believe its the Hungarian Sweet rolls., However, I do remember them being made for the weddings. I don't believe its potica, its similar to the rugelach, however the dough was rolled out in a circle, the filling spread on top then rolled back up baked seam side down. Dusted with powder sugar. If I remember right, the dough had yeast, but I could be mistaken. I don't remember cream cheese. I can remember the ladies rolling small pieces of dough into little balls. Then the production would begin. I can remember one of the ladies saying "Blech, you need to work that dough more" If you can imagine the accent on the word Blech!

I will keep up my search. I used to have my mothers cookbook. She would tape her recipes over the printed pages in the book. I have moved several times and somehow it was misplaced in my moves.

Thanks everyone
    Diane

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I love a puzzle, so haven't given up on your crescent roll. If you do a search by typing: "kolaczki at about food website", (no quotations), it brings up this roll. It also is made in different shapes (as desired) and many fillings, including nuts. It is rolled in confectioners' sugar and of eastern european origin.

• dspen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lizbeth, that sounds kinda right, but not the correct thing.

Its possible that I just don't remember it correctly, because its been 40+ yrs ago.

I would love to hear from the members who have some Czech or Polish, Hungarian older family members that may have made something similar.

Thanks!!

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

I think they are Butterhorns. I no longer have the recipe but have requested it from a friend. I will be able to post it after the weekend.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

I've never eaten a butterhorn that had a nut filling and was dusted with powdered sugar. Butterhorns are a crescent shaped yeast dinner roll.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Not these. These are as described by the original poster.

• dspen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks westelle, any help is appreciated!!

I a still searching the web high and low, some sound right, but I don't remember the recipe having cream cheese, but it could be my memory is just not what is should be!!

Diane

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Just for fun I Googled Butter Horns and found many European recipes for Butter Horn Cookies. Try this link, but I'll still send my friend's recipe whenever she sends it to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooks.com

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

My friend makes Kipfel at Christmas time. Buttery crescent-shaped cookies with nuts and dusted with powdered sugar. Could that be it?

There may be different recipes. I just found this one quickly via Google.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kipfel

• dspen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lazydiasynot. The Kipfel is not what I remembered. I have been searching the net and have found several recipes that sound close to what I remember. I will try a few different ones to see if I can recreate the memory I have.

Thanks everyone for trying to help

Diane

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

My friend sent the recipe by Snail Mail!

Frosted Nut Butter Horn Cookies

Ingredients:

For Dough:
    1 1/2 packages active Dry Yeast (or 1 oz. Compressed Yeast)
    1/4 cup Water
    4 cups sifted all-purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 1/4 cups Butter
    3 Egg Yolks, beaten
    1 cup Sour Cream
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    Powered Sugar - for rolling

For Nut Filling:
    3 Egg Whites
    1 Cup Granulated Sugar
    1 1/2 cups grated Nuts
    1 teaspoon Vanilla

Directions:
    1. Soften Yeast in warm water.
    2. Sift flour with salt into mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine meal.
    3. Combine softened yeast, egg yolks, sour cream, and vanilla. Blend into flour mixture. Shape into ball. Refrigerate several hours.

4. Make nut filling
    5. Beat egg whites to a soft peak. Add sugar gradually. Beat until stiff. Fold in nuts and vanilla.
    6. Sprinkle powdered sugar (instead of flour) on pastry canvas.
    7. Divide dough into 5 equal pieces. One-at-a-time, roll each piece of dough into a 12 inch round, keeping the other pieces refrigerated until needed. Cut into 12 wedges.
    8. Spread each wedge with 1 teaspoon of filling. Starting at the wide edge, roll each wedge toward the point. Place each wedge on a greased cookie sheet with the point tucked under the cookie. Bend each to make a slight crescent-shape.
    9. Bake each pan immediately at 375úF for about 15 minutes.

1. When warm, sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost with Butter Frosting.

For Butter Frosting:
    1/4 cup Butter
    2 cups Powdered Sugar
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    2 tablespoons Milk

Cream butter with 1 cup of the sugar. Add vanilla, milk, and remaining sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.

I hope this is what you are looking for.
    Kate

• dspen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Thanks Kate!!!

This is close to what I remember. The ladies didn't roll into one big circle, but rolled the dough into small individual balls and rolled each one separate and filled with the nut filling. Then rolled back up into a crescent shape and baked.

This is awesome!!!

Thanks!!!

Diane

• PattiG(rose)
    9 years ago

The recipe for Frosted Nut Butterhorns is a very similar recipe that my Grandmother and Mother used to call "Kiffles". I have made them several times and they are very labor intensive, but worth it.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

ivmadison posted on the Cooking Forum a comment and question about her family's favorite Butter Horn recipe: can she freeze the dough?

My friend says, Yes. You can read her post on the link I've added.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum

• arlocat
    9 years ago

My thanks to Westelle for tipping me off to this post. I was quite excited to find fresh cakes of yeast at the grocery store yesterday. My recipe is very similar to the one Westelle posted except mine calls for fresh yeast. I got this recipe about 45 years ago from my husbands Polish aunt. Not sure if it is a traditionally Polish item but it was a family favorite. This recipe is more like a miniature pastry than a cookie and are best when served when fresh. I usually bake off part of them and keep the rest refrigerated for a week or so and bake them as I need them.
    BUTTERHORNS
    DOUGH INGREDIENTS
    4 c flour
    1 ý c butter
    2 oz square of yeast
    3 egg yolks
    1 c sour cream
    1 t vanilla
    Dash of salt

DIRECTIONS FOR DOUGH
    Cut butter into the flour and then crumble the yeast into it. Combine until butter and yeast are no longer noticeable. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Separate the dough into 8 equal balls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours. Roll each ball out to about 10 to 12 inch rounds. Cut each round into 6-8 wedges, depending on the size you prefer. Put a teaspoon of filling (recipe follows) onto each wedge and roll from outside edge to center point. Place point-side down on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. (NOTE: When rolling out the dough you can use powdered sugar on the board instead of flour to prevent sticking.)

FILLING INGREDIENTS
    3 egg whites
    1 c sugar
    1 c chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS FOR FILLING
    Beat egg whites to soft peak stage. Gradually beat in sugar. Beat again until stiff. Gently fold in finely chopped nuts.

If desired the butterhorns can be frosted with a powdered sugar and milk frosting when cooled.

• donnamira
    9 years ago

Sounds like Hungarian kifli, as Rose suggested. Do a search on Hungarian kifli recipes, and several variations will come up. My grandmother made them with both walnut and poppyseed fillings; my mother-in-law also put lekvar in them. The walnut filling was my favorite. My grandma rolled the dough out, and cut it into rounds using an upside-down coffee mug, put a teaspoon dollop of nut mixture in each round, rolled it up, bent into a crescent, and dipped the center into egg then into chopped walnuts, then baked & dusted with powdered sugar. My MIL used a cream-cheese dough, but I don't remember cream cheese in my grandma's recipe.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Lvmadison: thanks for the info that these can be made a head and refrigerated for a few days before baking. I rarely need 5 doz. cookies all at once.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

So, did anyone make these? and, how did they turn out?

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

This is my recipe for Butterhorns. It's a cookie, not made with yeast.

HOLIDAY BUTTERHORNS
    1 cup butter
    1 cup small curd creamed cottage cheese
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 cups flour
    melted butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
    powdered sugar for rolling

Cream butter with cottage cheese; blend in salt and flour. Shape into a ball. Divide dough into thirds. Roll each piece into a 12" round; brush with melted butter.

Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and walnuts; sprinkle 1/3 mixture over each round. Cut into 16 wedges, start at wide edge and roll to center. Place point down on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400F for 10 min. Remove from cookie sheet, cool, and roll in powdered sugar. Freezes well.

• carree
    9 years ago

Dspen ...if you are still out there..I know this recipe quite well. A Danish friend shared it with my family years ago. You mix a dough consisting of yeast, half and half and flour and butter into seven small balls. Roll out each onto a surface of chopped walnuts, sugar and cinnamon...add more onto the top surface. Cut each into eight pie slices and roll up. Bake seamed side down.
    They are marvelous. And easy and freeze well. We called them Danish pastries. I am not near my recipes but if you are still looking for them .... Write back here... Or send me email

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus