Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Share a cookie that I can use this wonderful...

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

Plum Cherry Jam....I have a 18oz jar and id like to use it for Christmas cookies TIA

Comments (11)

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Try these:

Austrian Jam Cookies

Cookie type: formed

My mom originally got the recipe out of a magazine years ago. I donÂt know what magazine. These cookies nowadays go by the name thumb print cookies. I like to call them Austrian Jam cookies because they sound more sophisticated that way. I usually double the batch. A single batch will make about 15-18 cookies. A double batch, you will get closer to 3 dozen.

Ingredients

½ cup butter (1 stick), softened (not melted)
    ½ cup sugar
    1 teas vanilla*
    1 egg, separated
    1 ¼ cup sifted flour
    2/3 cup chopped almonds**
    your favorite flavor of jam

Directions

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat butter, sugar, vanilla and egg yolk in a medium bowl until fluffy. Stir in flour. Gather dough into a ball, cover and chill for several hours. Roll level teaspoonful of dough into balls. Dip the ball into a slightly beaten egg white. Roll the ball into the almonds. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Space cookies 1 inch apart. These cookies will not spread very much. Press an indentation with your thumb in the middle of the cookie, careful not to go all the way through to the pan. Fill with jam. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.

Hints, tips, tricks and how to cheat

*Almond extract can be used in place of real vanilla.

** Generally, I think the almonds are a little too hard for the rest of the cookie. I usually use walnuts or pecans.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Jam Thumbprints should be good with that jam.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jam Thumbprints

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the recipes but Id like something different (I should have said that) than thumbprints as I make the Polish Tea Cookies with jams and then the plate starts to look like too many of the same cookie. I was thinking maybe a sandwich style cookie...Thanks

• booberry85
    16 years ago

My sister made these linzer style cookies last year for Christmas and they were great (my sister is not the best baker either!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jammy Windows

• roselin32
    16 years ago

This one should work:
    Raspberry Bars
    2 1/2c all purpose flour
    1 c sugar
    1 c chopped pecans OR walnuts
    1 c butter, softened
    1 egg
    1 10 jar raspberry preserves
    Preheat oven to 350°

Grease a 9x13" baking pan. In a large mixer bowl, combine all ingredients except preserves. Beat at low speed until mixture is crumbly about 2-3 minutes. Reserve 1 1/2 c of crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into baking pan.
    Spread preserves to within 1/2" from edges of the unbaked crumb mixture. Crumble remaining crumb mix over preserves.
    Bake for 40-50 minutes or til lightly browned. Cool completely and cut into bars.
    RL`

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you!!!

• giftguru
    16 years ago

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies...

Be careful, they are addictive !!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure this is a recipe I made last Xmas. I don't know why you couldn't use any jam as the filling:

Apricot Buttons

MAKES: About 3 dozen cookies

Tita Owre, Pecos, NM, writes that her mother's apricot buttons were more than just a Christmas cookie  they were an essential part of every family celebration. Whirl the walnuts in a food processor until very finely ground, or chop very finely with a knife. The buttons are also great filled with raspberry jam.

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 1 hour

About 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 large eggs, separated
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups finely ground walnuts (see note preceding)
    1/2 cup apricot jam

1. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup butter and the sugar until smooth. Add egg yolks and vanilla and beat until well blended. Stir in flour and salt and beat just until dough comes together.

2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites to blend. Place walnuts in another small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Dip each in egg whites, turning to coat completely, then roll in walnuts to coat. Place about 1 inch apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. Press your thumb gently into the center of each cookie to make an imprint.

3. Bake cookies in a 325° regular or convection oven until lightly browned, 18 to 20 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.

4. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon jam into the center of each cool cookie.

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

* FYI: make sure the walnuts are fresh and not old and "off-tasting" or it will ruin the whole cookie.

• sharon_fl
    16 years ago

Don't have a recipe but methinks if you scan the web for a rolled (not a drop) cream cheese cookie recipe-make them & place some of your delicious jam between 2 cookies, moisten the edges with a bit of egg wash to seal & then bake...should taste awesome!

• booberry85
    16 years ago

I've never made this recipe. It's on my cookie list for this year. They look like a great cookie to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hamantaschen - Festive Triangles

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor